Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I'm not sure if this is a Digital Photography question or belongs in the Mac Applications section, but I figured I'd ask here.. Mods, feel free to move this if you think its off-topic.

Currently I shoot everything in JPEG simply because when I share my pictures with others it seemed easier to work with the smaller file sizes and a more standard picture format for those who don't know anything about pictures (or don't have RAW viewers installed...)

Anyway, today I was thinking about it, my camera (Nikon D5000) has the ability to shoot both RAW and JPEG, I don't want to clutter my iPhoto library (which is my main repository for pictures) with duplicate in both formats. I also don't want to take the time to select every other picture when I do an import and select only the JPG's to import just because of how time consuming that can be.

Is it possible to have a script/automation to read the memory card and import all of the JPG's into iPhoto and all of the RAW/NEF files into Aperture? I don't mind keeping both libraries separate (Actually I'd prefer it), and if I wanted to go back to the RAW files I easily can? I've never really played with automator or scripting, so I figured maybe some of you other photo guru's already do this and I wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel..

Or, if theres another way to do this, I'd be open to suggestion!

Scalfani

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Interesting. Sometimes I shoot both Jpegs and RAW. And yes, having duplicates is annoying. I get around this by using a USB card reader then in finder you can organize files by kind (e.g. jpeg vs. raw). Then you can just select the Jpegs and raw files separately and import them.

Maybe not what you were looking for, but its an option...

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I can't remember if Aperature is smart enough (I assume it is), but Lightroom will recognize the JPG copy of the RAW file, and only use the RAW file in the library.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Aperture only copies the RAW file. You can find a jpeg separator that you can run through automator that will separate the raw from the jpeg in two folders. So when you import them through iphoto you can just use the jpegs and when you import them through aperture you can have both. I have the file on my computer but I forgot where I got it from. It's sad because I downloaded it last night.:eek:

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Aperture only copies the RAW file. You can find a jpeg separator that you can run through automator that will separate the raw from the jpeg in two folders. So when you import them through iphoto you can just use the jpegs and when you import them through aperture you can have both. I have the file on my computer but I forgot where I got it from. It's sad because I downloaded it last night.:eek:

Cool!! if you remember, let me know.. I'll search around and see what I find. Now that I know its out there it should be easier. :)

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Why not just store the RAW files in Aperture and export JPGS in whatever size you want when you want to share them with others?

Seems way less hassle than keeping 2 seperate librarys

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Why not just store the RAW files in Aperture and export JPGS in whatever size you want when you want to share them with others?

Seems way less hassle than keeping 2 seperate librarys

I thought of that, but I have so much already in iPhoto and love the categorization and structure in iPhoto. The RAW's are more or less backups, or in case I come across a photo which is easier to manipulate with RAW than JPEG.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... I also don't want to take the time to select every other picture when I do an import and select only the JPG's to import just because of how time consuming that can be.

From within the finder sort the files by "type". Now all the jpg files are together and you don't have to select every other one.

I think the best way to handle this would be to import everything into Aperture then if you like iPhoto, have iPhoto reference your Aperture library. iPhoto can directly go there. No need to have two libraries.

Yes you could write a script and then have that script be the program that runs when a camera is connected. A script could do anything you want.

One thing about Aperture. Once you have the raw files in there you can forget that they are raw files. When you want to give copies to people Aperture hands you back JPG files made on the fly. THere is no need to shoot jpg unless you just need to save room on the disk. But at $100 per TB it is not worth the effort to worry about disk space.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
One thing about Aperture. Once you have the raw files in there you can forget that they are raw files. When you want to give copies to people Aperture hands you back JPG files made on the fly. THere is no need to shoot jpg unless you just need to save room on the disk. But at $100 per TB it is not worth the effort to worry about disk space.

I didn't know that, once I decide between light room or Aperture I will most likely just shoot in RAW instead of RAW + Jpeg. Thanks
Here is the Jpeg Separator if you still want it btw: http://automatoractions.com/files/separatejpegs1.0.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.