Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

Any particular settings I need to know to snap a good pic of the eclipse tonight?
I have a Pentax K100D; tripod; remote control.

every time i've tried to shoot the moon, i've blown the opportunity.

The K100 does have a night setting on it.

My goal is to snap a simple photo....nothing with trailing stars etc.. (although that could be neat too).

Cheers,
Keebler

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Don't overexpose. I would use the Sunny 16 rule and base your exposure more or less on that. (At F/16, your shutter speed will be your ISO. So at ISO 100, F/16, you should use 1/100). :)

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
(Copied from my post in another thread)

- You'll want a 300mm at least for a DX sized sensor. (I don't know about the K100)

- If you have it, use the spot metering, and, eventually try overexposing ~2/3 stop. If not, take a regular sunlight exposure as a base, do a small bracketing, and choose the best one. It'll work until the actual eclipse starts.

- People, this is an eclipse! ECLIPSE=LESS LIGHT! During the eclipse, the exposure gets MUCH longer, so you'll need a tripod as soon as the moon gets red.

- Since it's not regular daylight once the eclipse starts, shoot in RAW if you can, to be able to change the WB later.

- Since you'll need zooming at 100%, keep the ISO low.

- Don't expect marvels. At best, with a sharp lens, you'll get something big enough to fill half a laptop screen when seen at 100%

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was hoping to get out with my telescope and get some decent shots tonight, but it's going to be pretty cold.

I've managed to get some good shots of the moon before through the 'scope, but this would be something special. The requirements of shooting with a telescope are a little different, and to be honest I'm no expert, but we'll see what happens.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Hmmm

A bit of a JavaScript issue there.

I got that too odd error to and then I tried moving the moon phase around and it fixed itself when I came back to full moon.

Lisa - very helpful, thanks. I was exposing longer earlier this evening and catching some wonderful moon through the bare oak branch-type frames. For those the Moon had to be brought down a bit in Lightroom. With those exposure times at ISO 200 from the calculator, I won't even need to rely on IS. Now hopefully our more or less clear skies will hold.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for all the suggestions. i've got one 'ok' picture so far.
i'm still learning everything, but trying :)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I have a decent shot, composed it with Saturn and Regulus in the frame, but unfortunately I have a "point-and-shoot" Fuji S6000fd so it didn't come out very nicely. Had to use ISO400, 1/3s, f/5.6. I'll see if I can upload it, but it's the best I could do, I'm looking through the other 30 I shot.

Attachments

• 022008 Moon 1_Cropped.jpg
    022008 Moon 1_Cropped.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.