Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
When i take family portraits i tend to shoot in RAW and this consumes large amounts of space on my card, also i like to see the images as big as i can. i was wondering is there any way i can shoot and get results live on my computer without buying Nikon Capture or any other software. i also use aperture for everything so, if i could get the images into aperture live that would be great. i use a Nikon D50. and i don't really care about controlling the camera from my computer. i am hoping that there is a script,freeware app or a trick someone on this site uses to get around this problem.

Chris

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
tethered

Look around in Picture Project to see if it is included somewhere. I can't remember if it is because I don't use either as I don't have a need for tethered shooting at the moment or for organizing my photos as I have my own workflow that works for me.

As for a freeware way to do it I would like to know as well, if PP can't do it. I'll look around when I get the chance to see if i can find something.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
As part of the Automator script/process Mydriasis suggests, you could have it delete the original once it's been imported to Aperture.

That's assuming you're letting Aperture manage the library (which is the default), of course. Otherwise Aperture won't be copying the original, since that's the whole point of doing library management yourself; which means you do NOT want to delete it! :D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't think Picture Project does this; I think you have to buy Nikon Camera Control Pro in order to set up tethered shooting with a Nikon DSLR. I'm not sure that Aperture handles live display and tethered shooting, though, either....I don't think it does, actually.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I don't think Picture Project does this; I think you have to buy Nikon Camera Control Pro in order to set up tethered shooting with a Nikon DSLR. I'm not sure that Aperture handles live display and tethered shooting, though, either....I don't think it does, actually.

aperture can do that, but apple wants you to buy nikon capture in order to do it .there must be a way without wasting money on capture

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Should have gotten a Canon, their capture software is free. ;)

I am so gonna get smoked for this.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Should have gotten a Canon, their capture software is free. ;)

I am so gonna get smoked for this.

No, you're not gonna get smoked - you're gonna get corrected. :D

Nikon does provide free software called "Picture Project" that's the equivalent of the free Canon software. But they also have a very nice higher-end piece of software called "Capture".

It's sort of like comparing iPhoto to Aperture. But Nikon does seem to try to nudge people toward paying for Capture... ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
...And it used to be that Capture was software that did everything, including perspective correction (de-fishing), tethered shooting, etc., but now Nikon has made things slightly more complicated and definitely more expensive by sending out Capture NX as one software program and then splitting off certain functions, including tethered shooting, into another program, called Camera Control Pro..... The two programs together will run around $200.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.