Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mich43l777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2020
Hello.
Can I sell photos taken on iPhone 12 Pro Max, edit it and sell it on Gettyimages, iStock or another platform?
Images there cost from 3€ to more than 500€ per an image.
Is iPhone so good that it can earn money with taking and editing images? I dislike photo cameras, I have photo camera but iPhone is way easier to use it. With lights and software could I make professional photos on iPhone in the similar, same or better quality than 2500€ camera?
1€ is $1.20

Randoom image, just to show what I want to do with the iPhone:
Images like that with a significitantly lower price

Slika zaslona 2021-04-11 u 02.24.52.png

Best regards!

M.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Selling stock photography is a rip off business. The photographers historically get ripped off by the stocky library houses. Getty Images is a plague to photographers, They have a horrible reputation.
I would never attempt to try to go down the stock photography rabbit hole using just an iPhone. You'll be competing with experienced professional photographers that have all the pro gear - and expertise how to use it.
But don't take my word for it - contact them

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Imho depending on your talent you could make money even with an iphone. But how much?

“With lights and software could I make professional photos on iPhone in the similar, same or better quality than 2500€ camera?”
I would say no at least in areas where there is no adequate solution for the iphone:
General hardware control, aperture, optical zoom, bokeh and field of depth of lenses.
Light sensitivity, triggering external flash.
12MP limit (no print for posters)

With professional equipment you can shoot in a much wider area under tasking conditions. It opens new areas of possibilities.

If you want or need that for your type of fotos is up to you. Maybe you do only daylight pictures of landscape.

there are every year the threads if iphone has now DSLR quality. And the answer is: no
Its a good tool like a leatherman but it can’t compete with the wide range of tools you find in a hardware store.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
there are every year the threads if iphone has now DSLR quality. And the answer is: no
Its a good tool like a leatherman but it can’t compete with the wide range of tools you find in a hardware store.
Totally agree. While I get good results shooting ProRAW with my 12 Pro Max, it's nowhere near what my DSLR gear can do. Nor would I expect it to, the same as I manage expectations with the higher-end compact I use.

Reactions: Mich43l777

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
If you have to ask this question than more than likely the answer is no, a photographer should know the limitations of their equipment, and would know what they could achieve with this or what ever camera they are using, and too think of how short changed your clients would feel if you rolled up to a photo shoot with nothing but a camera phone...

Reactions: Mich43l777

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
DSLR/Mirrorless vs Smartphone...1 is designed to just take photos and videos and the other is for everything from taking photos to playing games... even brands which collaborated with big camera brands dont produce DSLR/Mirrorless quality photos. Try comparing a Huawei device with "Leica" against a real Leica...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.