Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum even though I've been reading it since I bought my first mac a few months ago.
I'm looking to buy a new digital slr, and I think I will buy a Nikon D80. My question is more general. I've noticed that some online shops are much cheaper than others. For example Broadwayphoto.com Nikon D80 body:$ 779.99, Prestigecamera.com N. D80 body:$749.99 and on the other side BHphotovideo.com N. D80: $939.95. Is there any risk in buying from the cheapest websites? Any difference at all?

Thanks for the advice!

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I don't know anything about any sites you listed other than BH, which is of course one of the most reputable retailers out there.

A relatively common trick some sites play with digital cameras is to list an inexpensive price, have you order it online, then they contact you to tell you there's a problem with your order. They get you on the phone and tell you that unless you purchase a certain amount in accessories, you cannot have the camera at the discounted price and instead must pay some price usually substantially over retail. They then fight you on cancelling the order.

While some people have actually obtained cameras from these people, unless you know you're dealing with a retailer who's totally legit, it might be worth the extra money to avoid the hassle and know you're not getting a gray market camera or some sort of bait and switch.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Broadway Photo and others are bait and switch companies. If you do by some miracle happen to get the camera you order it will be gray market and missing charger, and other accessories.

Always check resellerratings.com when camera/electronics shopping with companies you've never heard of.

Gatto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
I just looked at resellerratings.com and indeed these cheap shops have some pretty bad reviews. I so these websites advertised on magazines such as Shutterbug just beside the page advertising for BH. Probably too good to be true....
Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum even though I've been reading it since I bought my first mac a few months ago.
I'm looking to buy a new digital slr, and I think I will buy a Nikon D80.

Are you also buying a lens to go with that D80? Or do you already have a bunch of Nikon glass? I think the choise of which lens(es) you get matter much more than which body. I'm a Nikon fan but still I'll caution you that after you buy that D80 you will not be able to use all those nice Canon L-series lenses -- Yu will be using Nikon lenses for the next few DSLR bodies you own. Nothing wrong with that as long as you've thought about it.

B&H Photo is one of the best known and most reputable of the on-line camera retailers. If you find some one seriously under selling B&H be sure and do a Google search and ask around. Some times you will see some one $50 or so lower but anyone offering the sell 30% lower than B&H is doing a scam.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Are you also buying a lens to go with that D80? Or do you already have a bunch of Nikon glass? I think the choise of which lens(es) you get matter much more than which body. I'm a Nikon fan but still I'll caution you that after you buy that D80 you will not be able to use all those nice Canon L-series lenses -- Yu will be using Nikon lenses for the next few DSLR bodies you own. Nothing wrong with that as long as you've thought about it.
Well, that's true... but he'll be able to use all those nice Nikkor lenses..;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well, that's true... but he'll be able to use all those nice Nikkor lenses..;)

Of course. And if he buys a Pentax he can use their lenses. The point is that the choice of camera body determines the set of lenses you can choose from. But the set of lenses you own matters a LOT more then what camera body you use.

While it seems so obvious to many of us, many people just getting into SLRs don't think it through and don't think of the bigger picture. You really should go lens shoping before you buy your first SRL and close down your options

Gatto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Well, the idea was to buy a body to use with my two old Nikon lenses. those are not for digital camera and I know that is not ideal to use them with a digital SLR, but I suppose that the result would not be terrible either. no?
Then after a few mouths I will buy some new lenses for digital body too.
So I already decided to go with Nikon some time ago.

Gatto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
One of the lenses I have is a Tamron 70-300 4-5,6 LD macro. It is not the Di model introduced a few months ago designed for both digital and film SLR. How will this lens work on a digital? Anyone with some similar experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.