Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDude1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I have a shortcut configured on my iPhone, that can open my front gate and the garage door in one swift click, which is awesome for when I'm leaving/arriving home.

I have a location based automation setup on the iPhone, that asks me if I want to execute the shortcut when I'm arriving 200m from home, this is also great and works well.

But, when the notification pops up, asking if I want to execute the shortcut, it does not wake the sceen of the iPhone. I have to "remember" to touch the phone's screen, and the notification is always waiting there as expected.

Also, this notification does not popup on the CarPlay sceen, like many other notifications do. Neither can you place a shortcut on the CarPlay sceen, which sucks big time.

When I go to Settings -> Shortcuts, there is no "Notifications" settings available.

Am I just out of luck, or is there anything I can do to improve my expirience? It's so close to being perfect :(

(iPhone 12, iOS 17)

TheDude1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
FreakinEurekan thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I didn't have a step of "show notification", but the automation is "When I arrive" -> "Execute Shortcut", so extending it to "When I arrive" -> "Show notification & execute shortcut" is not really what I'm looking for, because the the step "When I arrive" is already spawning a notification with question "do you want to execute action", it's just not waking the iPhone screen. Adding the "show notificatino" action would just spawn additional notification after I confirm that the action should be run.

I think my issue is due to the fact I have an Apple Watch, which "captures" certain notifications, and doesn't wake the phone scree. It's just for this particular notification I would preffer to see it on phone or carplay instead of watch, but I don't think I can configure that.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I do not have an Apple Watch or CarPlay, so YMMV.
But I'm not sure if the "When I arrive" functionality could ever wake your screen.
Like @FreakinEurekan suggested, the only way I have found to wake the display, is to add a (meaningless) notification before your actual action so you can see the request.
Although there is another way, I do not recommend it for devices that leave your home:
If you do not have set a code or FaceID to unlock your device, you can add the following two steps before your action to "wake" your display:
Go to Home Screen
Lock the screen

Reactions: TheDude1980

TheDude1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
If I disconnect the watch, the notification wakes the screen properly.

Adding the "show notification" step wouldn't help me, as it happens after you decide to run/not run the automation. My

My "When I arrive" automatation is "Run After Confirmation" (sometimes I drive past my home to go somewhere else, and I don't want to open the gate/garage). So adding any additional actions doesn't change anything, as it was the initial question that was the issue for me. (See screenshot)

I will test a different apprach, do an automations that is "Run immidietly" and than withing actions setup a "question" step. But that will most probably also spawn the notification on the watch, if it's connected.

Biggest shame here is that this notification doesn't popup on CarPlay, the way that messages or calednar notifications do.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-06-20 at 14.15.31_ac4eaf56.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-06-20 at 14.15.31_ac4eaf56.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Adding the "show notification" step wouldn't help me, as it happens after you decide to run/not run the automation
That's why I meant to put the notification before your action. So the display is still active.

TheDude1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
That's why I meant to put the notification before your action. So the display is still active.
I don't think you can. When setting up "When I arrive" automation (see screenshot) you can only choose between "Run immediately" or "Run after confirmation". I want to be have the "Run after confirmation" setup, and the confirmation notification is my issue specifically. Anything you put in the actions, will run only after you confirm.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-06-20 at 16.24.22_fd37e538.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-06-20 at 16.24.22_fd37e538.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 14

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Ok, got it. I thought you had selected "Run immediately" and the confirmation prompt was coded in the Shortcut.
That's how it works for me (without Apple Watch or CarPlay).
It's not elegant but perhaps it is a workaround for you too.

Attachments

• Shortcuts1.jpg
    Shortcuts1.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Shortcuts2.jpg
    Shortcuts2.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: TheDude1980

TheDude1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I've also tried this approach of setting the automataion to "run immediately" and asking the question via the actions section as you've described. But that's pretty much the same from the perspective of the notification. Still, thanks for all the suggestions and participating in the discussion :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.