Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
Hi All,

So my question is as follows. Should Apple be held accountable for unnecessary 'wear and tear' on a battery following USB-C cable recalls on units shipped in 2015?

This thought comes from my recent interactions with Apple following the repair of a rMB keyboard without an extended warranty. We took it in for repair and whilst running in-store diagnostic we were made aware that the cable we have been using over the past 2 years or so and supplied by Apple is faulty. This made sense as we had been experiencing intermittent charging issues since the original purchase.

He then went on to run two diagnostics, in the first run the battery failed and in the second the battery passed. Upon looking at the rMB's stats it has a weasley 79% of its designed capacity left after 350 cycles. So my first thought was maybe thats just general usage and the manner in which we charge our household devices so I looked at our other MacBooks. My SO uses both a 2015 MBA and the 2015 rMB in question and I recently upgraded from a 2011 15" MBP.

My 2011 with 600 cycles had over 84% capacity and her MBA which she treats exactly the same as the rMB (same plug points, charging habits etc.) has 92% of its designed battery capacity remaining. So how on Earth does the rMB have only 79% when its battery is also rated to 1000 cycles. I can't help but believe two theories.

The first, is that the rMB was shipped with an inferior battery which was not designed to meet the 1000 cycles threshold advertised by Apple. For the unlucky consumer, this will most likely only become evident after your one year 'honey moon' period has passed. Or secondly, that we have been charging the rMB for 350 cycles with an inferior USB C cable provided by Apple which has had an effect on the batteries degradation.

I have been in contact with Apple and they assured me that these battery statistics are 'normal' and acceptable for an over 2 year old device and that a dodgy USB C cable will NOT affect battery health. This is a point a refuse to believe. With that mind set, I will be expecting to replace my battery every three years/350 cycles which is glued to the bottom shell to maintain 79% battery health and that I am at no risk using any brand of whatever terrible quality USB C cable to charge a MacBook.

Surely Apple has to, at some stage come to the table and clarify what the true issue is?

But I am also willing to accept new theories from those of you who I am sure know a lot more about these things than I do.

Link to cable recall: https://www.apple.com/support/usbc-chargecable/

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Seems like a stretch.

The old cables were thinner, and designed for the supplied 29w brick. When the 2016 MacBooks were introduced shortly after the 12" MacBooks, I think they realized there was risk that someone would inadvertently use the thinner cable with the higher-wattage 61w/87w bricks, probably causing a safety risk.

Therefore, it's only "dodgy" because of risks associated with a different charger. Which would not impact the 12" MacBook battery, at all.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I don’t think it matters to be honest. There’s some language on their battery claims (unless it’s changed) that they should be at 80% after 1000 charge cycles. Find it, print it out, ask why the hell they didn’t take care of you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
@BeatCrazy Thanks for the extra info.

I don’t think it matters to be honest. There’s some language on their battery claims (unless it’s changed) that they should be at 80% after 1000 charge cycles. Find it, print it out, ask why the hell they didn’t take care of you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

I did bring that up with the online representative but she assured me that what I was experiencing was 'normal' so Apple has no obligation to replace the battery. I don't think I would have an issue if I had Apple Care but alas I do not. I don't think it should be acceptable that Apple customers should be pressured into Apple Care to cover their battery. Accidental damage sure but a 1000 cycle rated battery shouldn't be your motivation to pay the extra money. I have read quite a few threads now about people having similar issues so I am unsure...

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
@BeatCrazy Thanks for the extra info.

I did bring that up with the online representative but she assured me that what I was experiencing was 'normal' so Apple has no obligation to replace the battery. I don't think I would have an issue if I had Apple Care but alas I do not. I don't think it should be acceptable that Apple customers should be pressured into Apple Care to cover their battery. Accidental damage sure but a 1000 cycle rated battery shouldn't be your motivation to pay the extra money. I have read quite a few threads now about people having similar issues so I am unsure...
Seriously, call again, point them to the page and if you get resistance just ask for an escalation. You’re at 79% after less than 400 cycles. Your machine is rated for 80% at 1000 cycles. It’s their problem to own.

Don’t even bring up the cable, your battery is falling well short of specs.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Seriously, call again, point them to the page and if you get resistance just ask for an escalation. You’re at 79% after less than 400 cycles. Your machine is rated for 80% at 1000 cycles. It’s their problem to own.

Don’t even bring up the cable, your battery is falling well short of specs.

Their warranty page clearly states this falls under the standard 1-year warranty. So those of us without AppleCare are out of luck (I have the same issue - ~79% at ~350 cycles).

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
@zhenya Are you planning on or have you already contacted Apple to see if the can help you out? I plan to follow up after I get it back from its keyboard replacement. I wouldn't mind paying labour costs if Apple would cover the battery.

I am quite concerned that we are most likely going to be replacing the battery on the rMB every 350 cycles to retain acceptable battery life... I wonder if they'll put in a 2017 battery?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No, I haven't contacted Apple. The time probably would have been while it was getting its keyboard replaced a couple weeks ago. I was kind of hoping it would come back with a new battery as part of the repair.

Right now I'm satisfied enough with the battery life. It has no impact on my use one way or another to have another 45 min - 1 hour of battery life, and the drop in capacity seems to have leveled off over the last 6 months or so. If I had to pay for a battery replacement out of warranty, that's still cheaper than buying AppleCare would have been at this point. We'll see if it ever actually happens.

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
I was kind of hoping it would come back with a new battery as part of the repair.

I was hoping the same thing but alas.

Unfortunately here in South Africa we don't have Apple Care and the quote I got for the battery is the equivalent of USD 380.00 so we will probably just hang on to this battery for a while and see what happens.

burpootus

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
My theory leans towards defective battery. I purchased an early 2016 12" Macbook, and at 17 months it threw a Service Battery warning with 161 cycle counts. Genius Bar quoted me $299 to repair. 80% capacity to 1000 cycle counts spec is meaningless. I decided to not spend anymore $$ with Apple. At 25 months, it is at 55-60% original capacity. Clearly defective product.

Last edited:

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
My theory leans towards defective battery. I purchased an early 2016 12" Macbook, and at 17 months it threw a Service Battery warning with 161 cycle counts. Genius Bar quoted me $299 to repair. 80% capacity to 1000 cycle counts spec is meaningless. I decided to not spend anymore $$ with Apple. At 25 months, it is at 55-60% original capacity. Clearly defective product.

Sorry to hear that. That's a serious drop in capacity. From what I've read I stand little chance getting Apple to cover the battery but I am going to give a shot when I get the laptop back. I feel like they can't deny that an admittedly faulty charging cable will have an affect on a batteries health. No matter how small, they can't prove/disprove that it has contributed to my poor performance.

Have you looked into Alibaba or online for something to tide you over? They are well priced, albeit you'll have to wait a while.

burpootus

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Battery repair prices are clearly published by Apple. No need to get a quote. The MacBook is $199. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

That’s well and good, but when the Genius at the Genius Bar says, “We will repair your Mac for $299”, I don’t think they would’ve accepted $199 when I returned to pick it up.
[doublepost=1533147286][/doublepost]
Sorry to hear that. That's a serious drop in capacity. From what I've read I stand little chance getting Apple to cover the battery but I am going to give a shot when I get the laptop back. I feel like they can't deny that an admittedly faulty charging cable will have an affect on a batteries health. No matter how small, they can't prove/disprove that it has contributed to my poor performance.

Have you looked into Alibaba or online for something to tide you over? They are well priced, albeit you'll have to wait a while.

I plan to go back to Windows when the MacBook completely dies. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That’s well and good, but when the Genius at the Genius Bar says, “We will repair your Mac for $299”, I don’t think they would’ve accepted $199 when I returned to pick it up.

I'd say it's exactly the same as if they tried to charge you more than the advertised price for your computer when you bought it. Show them the advertised price. They'll honor it.

burpootus

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
I'd say it's exactly the same as if they tried to charge you more than the advertised price for your computer when you bought it. Show them the advertised price. They'll honor it.

She ran diagnostics and quoted a price for repair. I’m not sure there’s anything I could’ve shown her that would change her diagnosis or quoted charge.
[doublepost=1533166909][/doublepost]I think perhaps the confusion is we are only thinking in terms of battery replacement, which is supposed to be $199. I can’t say that the quote only included a battery replacement, because I knew it was out of the question the moment she showed it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.