Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galbotorix96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2018
so i want to get a new phone. i currently have IP 7 which is fine for my current needs, however i had a bit of cash left over and wanted to get the new IP X on contract. is it worth getting one for 2 years with a newer better one coming out next year? let me know what you techys think. i was advised to wait for the next one as it might be a whole lot better...

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
I went from i7 to x

Very happy. Though I bought my second hand with AppleCare, for just over half price of the going rate.

I really don’t agree with the current pricing , the x is not worth the premium over the very good 7. I would not recommend paying full price for x.

You are referring to XS right ? Not the x? I’d wait 8-9 months and keep the 7

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

I think he said that because the new iPhones and Androids support the new T-Mobile LTE Band 71.

https://bgr.com/2018/06/06/t-mobile-coverage-fastest-network-vs-verizon-2018/

A little under one year ago, T-Mobile turned on the first site in the US to use its 600MHz frequency, a low-band chunk of spectrum that provides much more consistent coverage, especially indoors or in rural areas. Building out the new network on a nationwide scale isn’t a simple process, but the company just announced that it’s now up and running in 900 cities and towns across 32 states, a huge achievement in just 10 months.

Of course, as with everything in life, there’s a catch. The 600MHz spectrum — which you’ll also hear referred to as Band 71 or Extended Range LTE — was until very recently used to broadcast analog TV into homes. T-Mobile is the first network in the world to use it for LTE, and as a result, the majority of phones don’t support it yet. That’s changing fast — recent flagship Android phones from Samsung and LG are compatible — but for anyone using an iPhone or an older Android device, all of T-Mobile’s efforts to roll out its 600MHz network mean nothing.

Reactions: Wide opeN

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
I think the XS will be outdated by the time coverage really makes a difference.

Well... They've already gotten a lot of places covered. Also, you're gonna use it for another 2-4? years.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/lte-band-compatible-devices

Extended Range LTE – 600 MHz-compatible devices:
Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in-buildings than ever before.

• Alcatel
  • Alcatel 3T 8-inch
  • Apple
  • Apple iPhone XR
  • Apple iPhone XS
  • Apple iPhone XS Max
  • Apple iPad Pro (11-inch)
  • Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
  • LG
  • LG Aristo™ 2 PLUS
  • LG G7 ThinQ™
  • LG K30™
  • LG Q7+™
  • LG Stylo™ 4
  • LG V30™
  • LG V40 ThinQ™
  • Motorola
  • Motorola moto e5 plus
  • Motorola moto e5 play
  • OnePlus
  • OnePlus 6T
  • Samsung
  • Samsung Galaxy A6
  • Samsung Galaxy J3 Star
  • Samsung Galaxy J7 Star
  • Samsung Galaxy Note9
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
  • Samsung Galaxy S9
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
  • T-Mobile®
  • T-Mobile® REVVL 2®
  • T-Mobile® REVVL 2 Plus®

Reactions: Wide opeN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.