Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qu33nb00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Hello everyone. I’m new here! And have a question that I would love some support with.

I’m a musician and photographer who uses apps like Ableton, Logic, Final Cut Pro, and Lightroom, as well as plug-ins like Waves, U-He, and Arturia.

I’m considering purchasing a late 2012 27-inch iMac off of ebay. It has a 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 675MX graphics processor, and a 3 TB Fusion Drive. It’s selling for $620, around $720 after taxes and shipping costs.

I spoke with a friend about it, and they’re concerned that it won’t have the power to make up for the amount of work that I‘ll be doing on the machine. I’m a little nervous, but also feel this price might be a steal for what I’m getting and that the RAM and processor might work well with my needs.

With that said, I’m thinking of purchasing it within the next few days and would love some form of guidance on the topic. What do y’all think? Is this computer worth $700+ or should I save up and buy something better? I appreciate all of your responses in advance, and will do my best to respond as I’m new to this platform and don’t know exactly how it works lol.

Thanks again!

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I'm pretty sure that the computer will do what you need it to do. If I'm not mistaken, the late 2012's have USB 3 which opens up a wide range of possible peripherals. CPU and memory-wise, it will be fine, and I don't think the relatively weak GPU (compared to modern GPU's) will be an issue. I believe programs like Ableton like lots of CPU cores, and while a quad-core isn't bad, it can't match today's CPU's which generally start at 6 cores and go up.

I think the value proposition is a bit marginal. You can put together a better / faster setup for about $1100, give or take, and that's at outrageous covid-19 prices for some parts (PSU, motherboard). I'm not sure what Mac OS versions are officially supported, you may have to use non-supported (if reliable) patchers to run more recent OS's.

It's not a zero but it's not a slam dunk either.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
The i7 processor model would be better as it has hyper threading for eight virtual cores for Logic but the i5 model might work for you depending on your projects. The 2012 iMac will run Mojave so also the latest version of Logic. You could use the freeze track feature in Logic if the CPU becomes over tasked.

Someone else will have to comment on the graphic side of your question.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:
Keep saving for now.

I suggest you start watching the Apple refurbished store for a 2017 design iMac, properly equipped.

I WOULD NOT BUY -any- iMac UNLESS it has an SSD inside.... NOT a "fusion drive".

This will give you the speed you need for your apps and cache/temp files.

For "extra storage" for your projects, add an EXTERNAL USB3 drive (SSD would be best).

Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.