Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_l_o_b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
I am currently rocking an iPhone 4. Let's just say the experience is not the most ideal.

I am wanting to buy a refurbished iPhone 7 off of eBay for around $180 dollars. For 32 GB and a phone that'll probably be supported software wise about 2-3 years, this seems like a great deal, especially since I'm on a tight budget.

I am wondering though if it is foolish to buy it before they launch a new phone. I have been told that the models after a certain time on the market stop depreciating when new announcements come and just do so organically over time. Is the iPhone 7 in refurbished terms likely to drop significant anymore when Apple announces their new phones?

Also, will refurbished iPhone 8s likely drop to below a $200-$250 dollar price point after the new announcement as well.

So in short, what I'm really asking is:
1. Will the iPhone 7 come down after the announcement and will this affect the refurbished market?
2. Will the iPhone 8 come down after the announcement and will this affect the refurbished market?
3. Should I wait to buy a refurbished phone after the conference or will the announcement even affect the refurbished market?

Thank you so much for reading. I'm really just tired of the 4 and want to get a newer phone as soon as possible.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
U are talking a lot about refurbished. But the only real refurbished units are sold in apples online store.

I would say 99% of all the others claiming refurbished doesn’t mean anything and often the only step they did was cleaning the device from the outside;)

Yes the 8 will come down more in price. The 7 not so much anymore as its already cheap.

I would recommend to wait till October and then buy a used or refurbished 8

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am currently rocking an iPhone 4. Let's just say the experience is not the most ideal.

I am wanting to buy a refurbished iPhone 7 off of eBay for around $180 dollars. For 32 GB and a phone that'll probably be supported software wise about 2-3 years, this seems like a great deal, especially since I'm on a tight budget.

I am wondering though if it is foolish to buy it before they launch a new phone. I have been told that the models after a certain time on the market stop depreciating when new announcements come and just do so organically over time. Is the iPhone 7 in refurbished terms likely to drop significant anymore when Apple announces their new phones?

Also, will refurbished iPhone 8s likely drop to below a $200-$250 dollar price point after the new announcement as well.

1. Will the iPhone 7 come down after the announcement and will this affect the refurbished market?
2. Will the iPhone 8 come down after the announcement and will this affect the refurbished market?
3. Should I wait to buy a refurbished phone after the conference or will the announcement even affect the refurbished market?

Thank you so much for reading. I'm really just tired of the 4 and want to get a newer phone as soon as possible.

It’s rumoured the iPhone event is on September 10th currently. So I’d wait as it’s only a few short weeks and see if that iPhone 8 falls into your price range ;)
It may well do so. If it does then you’ll get double the storage plus all the other improvements, and wireless charging. But put a good case on it as it’ll have a glass back like your iPhone 4.

I had an iPhone 8 briefly and it was fast and smooth, it wasn’t enough of a difference for me to keep it though but I had a 6S, it’ll be a huge upgrade from an iPhone 4 though.

Reactions: ruslan120

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The iPhone 7 will be discontinued during the keynote announcement in September, the iPhone 8 will be dropped in price. The better value of those two phones is the iPhone 8 easily, which offers true tone/wireless charging and will see support longer with the A11 bionic processor.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
iPhone 7 is outdated now and you’ll spending money sooner to replace it than if you were to get an 8.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Can't recommend a 7 anymore now that it's three years old. And I definitely wouldn't recommend one with a questionable 3rd party refurbish from fleabay...you get what you pay for, and if you're on a budget, you're better of buying nice than buying twice.

a_l_o_b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I got a bit too excited and ordered a 32 GB iPhone 7 from Swappa, but after hearing your responses I'm going to return it when it arrives and spend a bit more to get a used 8. Seller has a great return policy. I'll wait until after the Keynote a few weeks and check the used market. I figure if I'm buying a phone I should consider keeping it for at yeast 4 or 5 years, and the 8 seems to do that a lot better. And if it doesn't drop enough, I'll get a 7 with a lot more storage.

In the meantime I'll delete some stuff off the 4 to make it at least tolerable for the next few weeks and since I'm getting a new phone in a few weeks anyway.

Thanks for all of the great responses!

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't think a 7 will be good for 2-3 years. Maybe 2, but not 3.
My mother-in-law was in the same position and I suggested paying a little extra and getting the 8. It saves her from having to buy a phone for an extra year.
[doublepost=1566097691][/doublepost]
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I got a bit too excited and ordered a 32 GB iPhone 7 from Swappa, but after hearing your responses I'm going to return it when it arrives and spend a bit more to get a used 8. Seller has a great return policy. I'll wait until after the Keynote a few weeks and check the used market. I figure if I'm buying a phone I should consider keeping it for at yeast 4 or 5 years, and the 8 seems to do that a lot better. And if it doesn't drop enough, I'll get a 7 with a lot more storage.

In the meantime I'll delete some stuff off the 4 to make it at least tolerable for the next few weeks and since I'm getting a new phone in a few weeks anyway.

I need to read gooder. Enjoy your new device!

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I also got the impression that the 8 has less issues. You also get better camera, QI-charging and so on.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also got the impression that the 8 has less issues. You also get better camera, QI-charging and so on.

The iPhone 8 virtually had zero issues, because Apple had time to correct any concerns over the course of that history starting with iPhone 6 and moving forward.

It’s kinda like buying the first model year of any car, you just don’t do it, because it has its range of issues be rectified through later models when the vehicle is upgraded.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012

With a bit of patience I was able to find a used factory unlocked iPhone 7 256GB in black last week on eBay for $270. I really looked at sellers/return policy carefully. It was listed as a 9/10 condition, and honestly when it arrived and I've used it and looked at it with a magnifying glass, I can't see why it isn't a 10/10. Even came with a new case and new glass screen protector. The point is - I really love the 7. I wanted the 7 more than the 8 because I like the sleek metal (brushed aluminum?) back of the 7, not the glass-backed one on the 8 which is prone to breakage.

Reactions: uzubairu

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
wanted the 7 more than the 8 because I like the sleek metal (brushed aluminum?) back of the 7, not the glass-backed one on the 8 which is prone to breakage.
Its sand or glas sphere blasted and anodized afterwards

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I’d agree, wait a couple of weeks, if you’re going to buy, go as new as you can. But...I have a 7-Plus 128GB, absolutely nothing wrong with this device. It’ll do 3 years still with no issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.