Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Opinions wanted!

Do you own an Apple Watch? Please describe what you like/don't like. Was it worth getting? If you could go back, would you still get it? Has it become an integral part of you digital life, similar to when you got your first smartphone?

Did you return/get rid of your Apple Watch? Please describe why, and provide advice for someone thinking about getting one.

Thanks to all who respond!

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I would absolutely recommend one, but it's one of those items that you have to want to have, if your on the fence about it or not sure if you want you may want to hold off until you know.

I have had one since launch day back on 2015. I wear everyday, prior to that I had not worn a watch in 10+ years, but had been wearing a fitness tracker for several years. As a smartwatch it is great, good interface, easy to understand and operate, notifications on watch (email, iMessages, etc) are all perfect. As a fitness tracker, it is ok. For a while until my jawbone UP had broke (yet again) I had continued to wear both. But it does track some information good enough that I use only the apple watch now. This is one area, I hope apple can improve and work on in the future.

This go around, I ordered the Edition and a Hermès and going to only keep one. My wife is waiting for the Nike Apple watch to be delivered on 10/28.

ttusomeone

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
People's opinions on these questions have already been answered multiple times in various threads and you can find the answers there.

Also, everyone's opinion is different and it doesn't mean it will apply to you. I'd suggest learning the various features of the watch, and thinking through which ones would apply most to you. If you think it would be beneficial, you could always find a used first gen aluminum model on eBay and buy it for cheap to try it out. If you find you use it alot, you can sell it and buy a new model if you choose - or if you don't like it you can sell it. At this point I imagine the prices for used 1st gen has stabilized so you'd likely come out about even if you sold it to buy a new one or sold it because you found it wasn't useful. I guess the other option is to buy new and then return it within the return window, if you think that's enough time to get a good feel for if it's for you or not.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I didn't opt for a series 0 when they first launched... they were pricy and I couldn't justify it on a gen 1 risk. I did want one though...

When the series 2 released, I was hoping there would be some deal to purchase it with an iPhone (like a bundled deal - should have known better than that ;) ), but was getting my mind set on owning one. I wanted it to help motivate me to stay active and I'm a geeky tech guy that loves apple products! ;) I purchased a series 2 space gray aluminum and while it's not a necessity like a phone is (or feels like it is these days), I couldn't imagine being without it. I really enjoy it. It is also helping motivate me to keep moving and stay active... I like seeing the progress of the bars filling up.

Reactions: chino-rican

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
People's opinions on these questions have already been answered multiple times in various threads and you can find the answers there.
Thanks! I realized this after I posted, and have been reading up on opinions in other threads. Still, it's nice to see some fresh opinions as more Series 1 and Series 2's make their way into user's hands.

ttusomeone

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Thanks! I realized this after I posted, and have been reading up on opinions in other threads. Still, it's nice to see some fresh opinions as more Series 1 and Series 2's make their way into user's hands.

Yep - and personally, I love my Apple Watch and my wife loves hers. For me, the biggest everyday uses are reading/replying to text messages and reviewing my calendar. The longer you have it, the more you get used to doing various features on your watch instead of picking up your phone.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Did I buy an Apple Watch? Yes! Should you buy one? I don´t know! The Watch surely isn´t something you need, but if you want one and you have the money and you don´t need it for something else more important, then yes, buy one!

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
If the wasn't into biking, swimming and running I would not of got one myself and I didn't get one till S2. I loved my Fitbit but the AW just does more things so I got the S2 and love it. Just paid for a Walgreens purchase with it, cashier looked real funny when I put my watch on the reader, worked great though.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
If your on the fence, I would highly recommend getting a first gen (they're now cheap on the second hand market). I tossed and turned over the AW. I found it was a pain in the arse to use half of the functions. I ended up picking up a link AW a few weeks ago (1st gen) and am starting to enjoy it more and more. Primarily for the breathing app, and the minor health tracking.

The AW in my opinion still has a long way to in terms of siri functionality and such...but I would give it a shot and see if you like it (everyone has different tastes).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If your on the fence, I would highly recommend getting a first gen (they're now cheap on the second hand market). I tossed and turned over the AW. I found it was a pain in the arse to use half of the functions. I ended up picking up a link AW a few weeks ago (1st gen) and am starting to enjoy it more and more. Primarily for the breathing app, and the minor health tracking.

The AW in my opinion still has a long way to in terms of siri functionality and such...but I would give it a shot and see if you like it (everyone has different tastes).

The first Gen is still plenty capable. The problem is, the first Gen Watches are becoming more scarce every day to find. It's strongest features are the notifications, which works very well. The health portion is adequate, but milestones out from Garmin. But the Apple Watch is evolving. Series 2 is a great Watch, but only if the user deems it necessary for GPS and further water resistance.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
When Apple Watch released back in 2015, I thought it was useless for deaf people like me because it relay on Siri a lot so it is not worth for me until last month I decided to buy Apple Watch Series 0 for start before I can buy S2 or latest and I realized it is not use Siri that much. I love to check iMessage, email, other notification, also I am crazy to use Apple Pay without have to take my iPhone out of pocket. For you it depends what you want to do with awesome Apple Watch. :)

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Opinions wanted!

Do you own an Apple Watch? Please describe what you like/don't like. Was it worth getting? If you could go back, would you still get it? Has it become an integral part of you digital life, similar to when you got your first smartphone?

Did you return/get rid of your Apple Watch? Please describe why, and provide advice for someone thinking about getting one.

Totally became part of my Life. All other watches are in a box. Use the apple watch every day. And I am not going back.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Opinions wanted!

My wife resisted the AW until she tried it. Now she (and I) love it. She likes it for the email, text, and phone alerts (and for the ability to put a Live Pic of her horse on the watch face). I love it for the notifications, phone call receiving, calendar, weather, and activity rings. Really is good stuff. Try it, and if you do't like it, return it. Be sure to browse the Apple Watch page on apple.com to see what it can do.

werked

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
First time AW owner. I've only had it for a few days so far. So far I'm digging it, I'll need more time with it to know if it was truly worth the money spent. The ability to receive a text or call without fumbling for my phone is real nice. It's cool to be able to see how many miles I walked during the day once I get home. It also looks bada$$ IMO. Already bought 4 additional sports bands in various colors. Really liking the white band with the space gray. TL;DR Buy it. Use it for week or two. If you hate it, return it. If you love it, embrace it!!

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I've had it for almost three weeks now.
I like my Watch, I get all my important notifications there so I'm able to quickly read and reply to a message and be notified about incoming emails and calls. I usually leave my iPhone at my desk when going to a meeting or helping a colleague at his desk, so in the past I sometimes missed a call or read an important email late.
It is great to keep track of daily activity, and after a few days I got addicted to closing the rings.
The only downsize is the price in my opinion. My company bought my Watch (I'm an app developer so they provide me a lot of Apple stuff) but I'm not sure I'd buy one because is pricey, especially series 2.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I bought one because I wanted relief from the stress of constantly wondering if that sound/feeling is a call or notification on my phone in my pocket, and the hassle of pulling it out all the time.

I scratched it a couple of days after receiving it, and Apple agreed to refund it and let me order another. However, I haven't missed it at all and have found things are just much simpler without it. So not sure if I will order one again. The price is the only reason I am hesitant, though, as if it were half the price it would be a no-brainer. The Series 1 is no better value than Series 2 IMO - its differences are on par with the price tiers - but I wonder if there will be future accessories that Apple only allows to work on the Series 2.

I will say, however, that the Watch is pretty capable without even bringing your phone with you and to that end it has a lot of potential - if I can just bear to leave my phone behind from time to time.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Thanks for all your testimonials, advice, opinions, and reviews. As an update (and for those who are curious), I've decided to get a Series 2. Now time to decide on size, style, and where to buy it, assuming I can find one in stock! :)

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
IMG_4572.JPG For those who care. Got my Apple Watch last week. Loving it so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.