Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I current use a Galaxy S8 Active and want to go back to iOS. My last iPhone was a 6s and I am wondering if I should get a 128gb iPhone 11 for $549 or spend the extra $280 for the 13?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Which ever one feels better in the hand? The 11 has rounded edges (like your 6s) and the newer ones are square.. which do you prefer?
I fooled around with a 13 pro max and compared it to my 11 pro max. It felt bigger, heavier, but also very high quality. The cameras are much much bigger, and obviously better.
Really depends what’s important to you.

Reactions: Tmacc47

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
Which ever one feels better in the hand? The 11 has rounded edges (like your 6s) and the newer ones are square.. which do you prefer?
I fooled around with a 13 pro max and compared it to my 11 pro max. It felt bigger, heavier, but also very high quality. The cameras are much much bigger, and obviously better.
Really depends what’s important to you.
The 11 does feel better in the hand, but I planned on slapping a case on, so I don't think it matters as much. I'd consider the 12, but it has a smaller battery.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 11 and 13 have very different screens. LCD on the 11, OLED on the 13. Some people can’t tolerate looking at OLED iPhone screens because of the flickering.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
The 11 and 13 have very different screens. LCD on the 11, OLED on the 13. Some people can’t tolerate looking at OLED iPhone screens because of the flickering.
I also took that into consideration. I've used a galaxy phone with an AMOLED screen for the past 7 years, so I thought maybe I would be alright with a 13?

Icehart

macrumors member
May 20, 2020
Get the 11 if you're into the photography and don't need the extra telelens. I've been posting randomly in iPhone 12 and 13 Pro Max Photos thread and not a single soul is able to distinguish the difference in photo quality. 😁

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
Get the 11 if you're into the photography and don't need the extra telelens. I've been posting randomly in iPhone 12 and 13 Pro Max Photos thread and not a single soul is able to distinguish the difference in photo quality. 😁
Thank you for the comment. I know both are absolutely wonderful when it comes to cameras lol. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to spend extra on the 13. I keep my phones for awhile, for what it's worth.

Icehart

macrumors member
May 20, 2020
Thank you for the comment. I know both are absolutely wonderful when it comes to cameras lol. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to spend extra on the 13. I keep my phones for awhile, for what it's worth.
The iPhone 11 is still a beast and fast for everyday use. The only issue with buying used is the battery health. If it drops below 80% you might need to spend $69 to replace.

Reactions: barbu and Tmacc47

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
The iPhone 11 is still a beast and fast for everyday use. The only issue with buying used is the battery health. If it drops below 80% you might need to spend $69 to replace.
I plan on buying new, so that's a non-issue. I just wonder if the 11 would run well for say another 4-5 years.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If you have not played around with each, go down to an Apple Store or Best Buy and spend some time with each. The 13 will have a clear advantage on battery life. If you plan on keeping the phone for several years, the 13 will get updates longer than the 11. Something to keep in mind. Also, the 13 has more advanced camera features like Cinematic mode.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Assuming you have no issues with OLED, go for the 13. 11 is already 2 years old so you might run into performance and battery-related issues in next year’s iOS update.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
Assuming you have no issues with OLED, go for the 13. 11 is already 2 years old so you might run into performance and battery-related issues in next year’s iOS update.
I never had any issues with AMOLED screens on Samsung, so hopefully I don't with OLED screens. I love the blue 13!

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have the 11 (as OLED screens on the iPhones have given me issues). If the find the screen of the 13 doesn’t bother you, I think it’s a clear cut win with the 13 (better camera sensors, beautiful screen, lighter and smaller overall than the 11 but with the same screen size, supported longer, etc. Huge jump in PPI for screen clarity.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I have the 11 (as OLED screens on the iPhones have given me issues). If the find the screen of the 13 doesn’t bother you, I think it’s a clear cut win with the 13 (better camera sensors, beautiful screen, lighter and smaller overall than the 11 but with the same screen size, supported longer, etc. Huge jump in PPI for screen clarity.
Thanks. Its honestly a tough decision! I need to find out how OLED screens treat me.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks. Its honestly a tough decision! I need to find out how OLED screens treat me.
For sure. And please, don’t spend time in any of the PWM/Eye Strain threads. It’ll just get your wheels spinning. Get the phone, assume you’ll be just fine, and I think you will be (affects approx 1-10 and that might be ambitious).

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
For sure. And please, don’t spend time in any of the PWM/Eye Strain threads. It’ll just get your wheels spinning. Get the phone, assume you’ll be just fine, and I think you will be (affects approx 1-10 and that might be ambitious).
I quite agree. Most of the time, those types of threads are doom and gloom. I really want to get the 13, but I have to make sure!

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The nice thing about the 13 this year, Apple has incorporated a new display engine in the A15 Bionic. The PWM is 610.2 Hz, about 2.5x higher than with the iPhone 12. Higher the PWM frequency the better. When I was using my wife's 12 Pro Max I thought I was having some itchiness in my eyes. Not an issue with the 13 this year for me.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I current use a Galaxy S8 Active and want to go back to iOS. My last iPhone was a 6s and I am wondering if I should get a 128gb iPhone 11 for $549 or spend the extra $280 for the 13?
Both are excellent buys this time around. It just depends on how much money you're willing to spend. At their price points, the 11 and 13 are both great choices.

What the 13 will give you over the 11: higher res OLED screen, flat edge design, and 5G. It's up to you if those things worth the extra $280. Imo both phones will still be supported 4 years from now (which is your approximate length of use based on your S8 Active). But if you plan to keep the phone even longer than that, get the 13.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I wouldn’t recommend the 11 simply as two years old is just a bit too old to buy the device new. If you keep the phone for a number of years, the extra to get the 13 doesn’t work out as very much, not to mention the fact it’ll be worth more if you sell it later

I guess if the upfront cost is an issue then the 12 is a halfway house in terms of cost. It’s also a bigger upgrade from an 11 than the 13 is from the 12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.