Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R0gerBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Hello.. I'd like to get started at iOS Exploiting. I'm reading Mac OS X and iOS Internals to the Apple's Core 1st edition book to get into exploiting. I'm still at the beginning, and as far as I read, I know that I'll need a jailbroken device to test out book's examples. I got 3 devices, an iPhone 4s on iOS 9.3, a 5s on iOS 9.3.2 and an iPad 3rd gen on iOS 9.0.2. Only iPad is jailbreakable.

The book though being the 1st edition, was written during 2011-2012, mostly talking about iOS 5 and sometimes quoting the 6 (which had to still come out during its writing).

To follow book's examples should I buy an old device like 3gs on iOS 5/6 or my iPad'd be fine? I'd like to learn exploiting and be able to find some times some nice exploits in iOS 9/10... Also I saw that this book is getting upgraded to 2nd edition, though I'd like to learn the basics of the 1st and try them in 1st person.

R0gerBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Which device you recommend me most to pay as less as possible? That may also be the first of a series of devices that I will buy for exploiting purposes..

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Hello.. I'd like to get started at iOS Exploiting. I'm reading Mac OS X and iOS Internals to the Apple's Core 1st edition book to get into exploiting. I'm still at the beginning, and as far as I read, I know that I'll need a jailbroken device to test out book's examples. I got 3 devices, an iPhone 4s on iOS 9.3, a 5s on iOS 9.3.2 and an iPad 3rd gen on iOS 9.0.2. Only iPad is jailbreakable.

The book though being the 1st edition, was written during 2011-2012, mostly talking about iOS 5 and sometimes quoting the 6 (which had to still come out during its writing).

To follow book's examples should I buy an old device like 3gs on iOS 5/6 or my iPad'd be fine? I'd like to learn exploiting and be able to find some times some nice exploits in iOS 9/10... Also I saw that this book is getting upgraded to 2nd edition, though I'd like to learn the basics of the 1st and try them in 1st person.

Keep in mind a LOT has changed since IOS5, most notably with IOS 9 and the KPP. Previously, the kernel was patched, but in 9.0.2 and 9.1, the kernel was "raced."

Also keep in mind, *I* don't have the ability to do that stuff, and am certainly NOT an expert. I have read, that with KPP it is much much more difficult.
[doublepost=1466107703][/doublepost]Did you try iforgot.apple.com? My wife's phone got locked like that, and forgot her security answers. I called some phone number that it prompted with with. A very helpful person at Apple's Dallas call center walked me through, asked me questions, sent a text to my phone with a code, and also to my wife's iMac. She reset the password, and had me change the password and security questions while I was on the phone. It was a bit of a hassle, but did not require restoring the phone.

I also am not sure why she made it a point to inform me that she as at the Dallas call center...At least her job is still here in America.

R0gerBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Keep in mind a LOT has changed since IOS5, most notably with IOS 9 and the KPP. Previously, the kernel was patched, but in 9.0.2 and 9.1, the kernel was "raced."

Also keep in mind, *I* don't have the ability to do that stuff, and am certainly NOT an expert. I have read, that with KPP it is much much more difficult.

Yeah but to learn I have to go across the basics, don't I?

I hope that learning to exploit something on older iOSes where it was easier, will help me getting into it also in the newest ones, I mean, at least I'll know something.

Also I've seen numerous recent hackers that weren't on the scene in older iOSes. I think I'll take an iPod 3rd gen which can feature up to iOS 5.1.1 and can be found cheap.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah but to learn I have to go across the basics, don't I?

I hope that learning to exploit something on older iOSes where it was easier, will help me getting into it also in the newest ones, I mean, at least I'll know something.

Also I've seen numerous recent hackers that weren't on the scene in older iOSes. I think I'll take an iPod 3rd gen which can feature up to iOS 5.1.1 and can be found cheap.

Yeah, you might be right. If you can learn to exploit a version that you know is exploitable, you can probably progress from there. Good luck!

Reactions: R0gerBlack

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
3gs is a nice choice if you get the early releases since that is jb forever no matter how bad you play w it you can always jb again.

R0gerBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
3gs is a nice choice if you get the early releases since that is jb forever no matter how bad you play w it you can always jb again.
True but I'd like to find one that was jailbroken in like every iOS release so that I could jump around... If I just take the first 3gs that I find, I assume it's 99% likely to be on iOS 6 with no chances to downgrade. And while playing with iOS 6 jailbroken may be interesting, I'm want to focus most on iOS 5 so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.