Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

Any advantages/disadvantages of buying this app from MAS or the company's website? Their FAQ states something about discounts and MAS doesn't allow that. I might just buy from their site. Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Buying something outside the MAS gives you the following advantages imo.
Discounts as you mention, also free upgrades or at least discounted upgrades. where as the MAS only gives you full versions.

MAS has its advantages to the consumer and developer but its not the end all and be all for software procurement. If you can pay less by getting it directly from the developer's site then go for it.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I second Mike's opinion and would like to add that in some cases applications downloaded from the developer's site might have more functions then the MAS version. A good example is ClamXav. In MAS version you won't get ClamXav Sentry.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I second Mike's opinion and would like to add that in some cases applications downloaded from the developer's site might have more functions then the MAS version. A good example is ClamXav. In MAS version you won't get ClamXav Sentry.

Agreed, apple forbids the use of certain APIs and the use of of sandboxing for its MAS apps. Some applications lose functionality due to this.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
If you are in education they will give you a 20% discount outside of the store. I got fantastical (1) that way.

I volunteer teach english at the local primary school here in mexico, explained that and they gave me the discount (with the name of the school).

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I was listening to an interview with the head of Flexibits on The MacCast podcast today, and the only difference between the two versions is that the MAS version uses Apple Maps API's, and the online sale version uses OpenStreetMap API's, as Apple doesn't allow the Apple Maps API to be used outside of the App Store.

Regardless, $50 is too much for my needs from a calendar. I do however have it on my iPhone.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
There can be differences due to sandboxing, api's, etc. and then differences with upgrade paths. However, that all being said, I pretty much always purchase directly if possible because the developers get more money in their pocket.

shorn

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I love Fantastical on the iPhone, and I've had v1 on my Mac since the beginning.
I think they've overlooked a potential sales revenue in v2.

As apps go v2 is expensive, although I don't begrudge them charging what they are. However I rarely use a fully fledged calender app on my Mac, the menubar approach of v1 has been fine.

I think they should offer a menu bar only version, updated to the new v2 style.

That way, people like me could pay for a new updated ui, without the need to spend out for a fully fledged calender that I won't use. Now I'm stuck with the very out of place looking v1 (on Yosemite at least)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.