Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

512 SSD or 16 GB RAM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiragd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
I’m a computer science major who will have big coding assignments but nothing crazy. I don’t do a lot of high end editing on a regular basis. My only professional use would be these coding projects, other than that, maybe a light gaming(not a big gamer at all), Netflix and everyday things on the laptop. I can only afford one of the above, my only thing is I could get an external hard drive later on but I can’t upgrade Internal Memory and I hope to use this laptop Atleast 4-5 years. I need y’alls help to decide what upgrade will be worth the most of my money.

Last edited:

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
If you're only able to get one, I'd go for the upgraded memory. I did the same with my M1 MacBook Air and have zero regrets after a little over a year.

I'm a former network engineer/systems integrator, now back in school for philosophy and history. So my use case is primarily research and school stuff, but then I also do a fair bit of 3D modeling for 3D printing, VHS to digital conversions and video editing tasks for family stuff, and some light programming when the desire or need arises. IMO the 16GB of memory has been invaluable, coming from a machine with 8GB, since it gives me the ability to perform one of these tasks in the background while I work on something else. I keep all the media on various external SSDs and HDDs, which is no problem.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Normally I would recommend more RAM but for your specific needs, a faster SSD than what is likely to be a single chip 256GB SSD is probably a better bet.

Much of software development is very disk intensive. Compiling and linking software hits the disk hard with both reads and writes. RAM on the other hand in this case is a pretty transient need. You use a lot during builds but then it is freed up when the build completes (unlike something like leaving a Chrome tab open.) You might have to be cognizant of how much RAM you are using when developing and close tabs and applications more often than you want but you can manage that without a lot of trouble. But you can't make the disk faster unless you want to buy an expensive external Thunderbolt SSD. If you are planning on buying a fast external SSD then perhaps RAM is the correct answer.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
Normally I would recommend more RAM but for your specific needs, a faster SSD than what is likely to be a single chip 256GB SSD is probably a better bet.

Much of software development is very disk intensive. Compiling and linking software hits the disk hard with both reads and writes. RAM on the other hand in this case is a pretty transient need. You use a lot during builds but then it is freed up when the build completes (unlike something like leaving a Chrome tab open.) You might have to be cognizant of how much RAM you are using when developing and close tabs and applications more often than you want but you can manage that without a lot of trouble. But you can't make the disk faster unless you want to buy an expensive external Thunderbolt SSD. If you are planning on buying a fast external SSD then perhaps RAM is the correct answer.

My solution was to buy a TB 4 enclosure and a

SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280

total $150

Speed is very good, virtually native when on TB4.

It's tricky though. You have to really research the specs. The variants of TB is bewildering, as the M.2 standard. Very easy to get stuck with lower performance if it's not matched correctly. And it's not clear from reviews. Amazon reviews ARE very helpful though, if you read carefully. And heat throttling with a bad enclosure is an issue. But at $150 1tb? for these speeds?

But this is mainly for a Intel gen11 (or 12?) Samsung Windows machine with TB4) Never really checked it with the new MBP 14" I have. So be careful.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

camotwen

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2022

Yeah, same, I consider 16gb ram important in general, but in this case I would have gone for the faster SSD (I never had to choose between double RAM and double SSD speed before I guess). And not to mention that, most probably, in OP's case a few tabs open while developing would be served fine by swap memory with the faster SSD.

Or even better, go for an M1 16/256 and who cares about that supposed 20% CPU increase.

camotwen

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2022
My go-to advise is always go for the most memory your budget allows first before storage.
Yes, but usually this relates to the amount of memory vs the amount of storage, not the amount of memory vs the read/write speed of storage (and two times that, no less), and this is something that external storage will not fix. I think it is a very tricky question, depending a lot on the tasks one has to do. For a lot of uses I would go with the two times faster storage, especially more casual uses will see it a lot more, like that simple test transferring files that was in youtube is quite relevant for a lot of people. People say that most casual users would not care about the SSD issue, but it is exactly what they would notice easily if they were able to compare rather than the more ram.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Sorry to buck the trend but I clicked 512GB SSD.
It's a well-documented fact that the SSD speed was crippled on the 256GB 13" M2 MBP on account of it having a single 256GB NAND chip instead of the M1's 2x128GB. As far as I know, no one has proved the Air isn't just as crippled, yet.
If it isn't, then yeah, RAM.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Sorry to buck the trend but I clicked 512GB SSD.
It's a well-documented fact that the SSD speed was crippled on the 256GB 13" M2 MBP on account of it having a single 256GB NAND chip instead of the M1's 2x128GB. As far as I know, no one has proved the Air isn't just as crippled, yet.
If it isn't, then yeah, RAM.
Crippled is a bit hyperbolic. Sure it is slower than the 256 GB of the previous generation and I think that is pretty bad on Apple's part but crippled when talking about 1500 MB/s is a bit much.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
Another vote for RAM! That will cripple your machine in the long run

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
If you are willing to spend $1500 on the upper base model with 10GPU/8GB RAM/512GB SSD, I strongly advise you to consider spending $1600 on 8GPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Crippled is a bit hyperbolic. Sure it is slower than the 256 GB of the previous generation and I think that is pretty bad on Apple's part but crippled when talking about 1500 MB/s is a bit much.

I'm glad someone else pointed this out before me. "Crippled" in this context, is both hilariously inaccurate & woefully off-target. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of users would have never even felt a difference, had they not heard/read about it first.

Reactions: steve217

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
It is not. It is 2022. You are paying for premium tech so you should be getting what premium tech has to offer.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "premium tech." The word "premium" in any context, isn't tangible, & is largely subjective. I would argue that a 13" M2 MBP would be considered a premium product by many users, yet you seem to disagree, which is the paradox.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "premium tech." The word "premium" in any context, isn't tangible, & is largely subjective. I would argue that a 13" M2 MBP would be considered a premium product by many users, yet you seem to disagree, which is the paradox.
It means you are paying the hefty price for something and you are expecting the hardware to be the best that money can buy or at least close to it, while in fact it is not.

Either argue in good faith or do not argue at all.

Reactions: LeeW

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
It means you are paying the hefty price for something and you are expecting the hardware to be the best that money can buy or at least close to it, while in fact it is not.

Either argue in good faith or do not argue at all.
Asking for clarification is hardly arguing. However, if you're suggesting that the base model is obsolete because of the single SSD configuration, then we can just agree to disagree.

And for the record, I do think OP should opt for the disk upgrade over the RAM, but definitely not because the laptop would be obsolete without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.