Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I just need a straw poll really, I can get it for £110, i know its not AF but I want to use it for motorsport so it'll be on infinity anyway. What do you think?

EDIT: Haha, the lens is a Nikon 300mm F4.5 AI.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
tektonnic said:
I just need a straw poll really, I can get it for £110, i know its not AF but I want to use it for motorsport so it'll be on infinity anyway. What do you think?

EDIT: Haha, the lens is a Nikon 300mm F4.5 AI.

Sounds like a decent price, though I'm not sure what you lose by using the manual lens on your dslr. Nice review here.

You'd probably also get a better response posting in the digital photo forum rather than mac computers. Cheers

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
on your d50 you'd lose metering too iirc.
imo if you need a really cheap 300mm lens you should just get the 70-300. it's like $100 or so in the states; i imagine in the uk it'd priced similarly.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Oops! I didn't realise where I had put this..no wonder I could'nt find it! I must have just been click-happy and accidentally put it in the wrong place!

Can someone move it so I look less of a prat?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
homerjward said:
on your d50 you'd lose metering too iirc.
imo if you need a really cheap 300mm lens you should just get the 70-300. it's like $100 or so in the states; i imagine in the uk it'd priced similarly.

Good points. Though the Nikon lens will perform better.

tektonnic may have higher hopes on the focus issue perhaps.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Well, to be honest I've become completely confused by the whole issue!

I want to do motorsport, and have now been told the 135-400mm Sigma lens might be suitable for my application - just a shame everything starts to cost so much!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Good points. Though the Nikon lens will perform better.

tektonnic may have higher hopes on the focus issue perhaps.
The Nikon Lens on his D50 will perform like crap because you can't meter with it.

Sorry.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jessica. said:
The Nikon Lens on his D50 will perform like crap because you can't meter with it.

Sorry.

I thought that was addressed by the post I responded to.

I was just saying that the 300mm AIS lens would be sharper than any "affordable" zoom with the 300mm focal length.

Sorry if I did not make myself clearer.

That being said many have been able do well with zooms that cost much less than the lens that was asked about.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So the 300mm lens is a prime? Either way I'd just get that over the 70-300 mm. That 300 mm lens may not be fast, but it's still faster than f/5.6.

My first intuition would be to just save up for a lens that actually does the job adequately rather than get this lens as as stopgap, and keep upgrading every 6 months or so until you get something decent. I don't know how bright it is at these motocross races, or how far you are away from the action, but I'm guessing that a faster prime lens, even one with a shorter focal length (ie: say 150 mm), and a bit of cropping would still give you good results.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Hi all,

In my continuing quest to decide on a lens I am now looking at the Nikkor 80-200 f2,8 AFD (single ring), anyone got any reviews of it? Know where I can find it in the UK?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, isn't that type of lens.....oh.......5x more expensive than the lens you were looking at before? Without checking the prices, I'd think that it would cost at least £500-700 quid. Take a deep breath, give yourself another week, look at your bank account, and then decide. Don't do it now.

However, I think this is the type of lens you'd need to take the sort of photos you want, so if you came to the realization that buying any other sort of lens to take such photos was a waste of money, then good. :)

Here's a review:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/124/cat/13

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
jessica. said:

Sorry.

You don't really need to meter. Motor sports photography is repetive. You typically set up near some corners and the cars all follow more or less the same lines and stay in the same light. Once you figure out the exposure it stays the same until the light changes. All you need to do is take one test shot, look at the histogram, make an exposure adjustment then take one more shot to verify. It was not long ago that cameras did not even have built-in meters and people did just fine. But the histogram display is the best meter you will ever find

The only thing is that th f/4.5 lens is not very fast. but in bright outdoor sunlight this will not be to much of a problem.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
tektonnic said:
Hi all,

In my continuing quest to decide on a lens I am now looking at the Nikkor 80-200 f2,8 AFD (single ring), anyone got any reviews of it? Know where I can find it in the UK?

The 80-200 f/2.8 is the lens that every Nikon owner would love to own. It is outstanding. They are made is serveral versions and just keep getting better. It is truely a "profesional quality" lens both optically and mechanically. I've seen used examples of this lens sell for as low as $700.

But I have no idea if 200mm is suitable for your subject. It all depend on how close you are. but anyting longer will require a tripod with a ball head

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ChrisA said:
The 80-200 f/2.8 is the lens that every Nikon owner would love to own. It is outstanding. They are made is serveral versions and just keep getting better. It is truely a "profesional quality" lens both optically and mechanically.

Actually, the one over which most Nikon owners drool and which professionals prefer is the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, which is one of Nikon's finest lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.