Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanleyGanley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
I custom ordered a 14" MBP months ago. It keeps getting kicked down the shipping road. I have not been charged the money by Apple. I need a computer bad (2013 15" is struggling to even charge).
Option A: Spend $300 to get my 15" 2013 MBP Charging Port replaced and a new battery (which zero's out the trade-in value), and wait till the 14" M2s arrive... or
Option B: Stick with the unit that will be here in a month (or two... geeez)

I'm dropping $4k on a computer I'll keep for 7+ years, I don't want to regret it. It's not about the 'latest,' but more about what M2 or any redesign, etc., will bring (Ok. Maybe the latest). Forbes this week says wait. Thoughts? Music Recording (logic & Protools), Web design, CAD, etc.

Note: an M2 update Mac Macrumors article recently stated: "Gurman's expectations. He believes that Apple will not launch new MacBook Pro models with the M2 Pro and M2 Max chip until 2023, with the only new MacBook Pro model this year (2022) being a refreshed entry-level model with a 13-inch display and the less powerful M2 chip."

What I ordered: 14-inch MacBook Pro
  • Apple M1 Max / with 10-core CPU / 24-core GPU 16-core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory
  • 4TB SSD storage
  • Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port
I've been on here since the site started. Bummer I had to reset account and I'm apparently a NOOB ?

Last edited:

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
MacBook Pro 2021 is not even a year old yet. With the shipment and state of the world situation, you may see M2 in early 2024 land on customer's hands. Happy waiting 2 years.

Reactions: Basic75

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
Can you make due with one of the default configs that are ready to ship now? Some guys have reported finding nicely specced machines new at Apple stores. Also, some nice refurbs are showing up.

Personally, I'd keep the order open as it can be cancelled or returned at any time, and then start checking all online stores and Apple for inventory on a regular basis, as it tends to change often.

Regarding the M2. You need a machine now. The '21 MBP M1 should be plenty for 7 years.

Reactions: Basic75

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Check the Apple refurb store and also bhphotovideo.com, you might be able to find your spec or something close without having to wait. I’d check multiple times a day as inventory updates regularly. I was in the same situation as you and was able to find my exact spec in stock, and had the laptop in 3 days

JDV001

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2021
I custom ordered a 14" MBP months ago. It keeps getting kicked down the shipping road. I have not been charged the money by Apple. I need a computer bad (2013 15" is struggling to even charge).
Option A: Spend $300 to get my 15" 2013 MBP Charging Port replaced and a new battery (which zero's out the trade-in value), and wait till the 14" M2s arrive... or
Option B: Stick with the unit that will be here in a month (or two... geeez)

I'm dropping $4k on a computer I'll keep for 7+ years, I don't want to regret it. It's not about the 'latest,' but more about what M2 or any redesign, etc., will bring (Ok. Maybe the latest). Forbes this week says wait. Thoughts? Music Recording (logic & Protools), Web design, CAD, etc.

Note: an M2 update Mac Macrumors article recently stated: "Gurman's expectations. He believes that Apple will not launch new MacBook Pro models with the M2 Pro and M2 Max chip until 2023, with the only new MacBook Pro model this year (2022) being a refreshed entry-level model with a 13-inch display and the less powerful M2 chip."

What I ordered: 14-inch MacBook Pro
  • Apple M1 Max / with 10-core CPU / 24-core GPU 16-core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory
  • 4TB SSD storage
  • Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port
I've been on here since the site started. Bummer I had to reset account and I'm apparently a NOOB ?
I have that same issue. Ordered a 16 inch with same specs back in February. Now was informed that I have to wait till end June. With China imposing even more lockdowns, I don’t see the situation improving.

I don’t really need “heavy: performance on the road but do need it back in my studio. Had ordered the MBP as a new variation to the theme “all in one”.

I am now considering cancelling the M1MAX MPB but instead order the Mac Studio (I know that one will not come soon either) but complement it with a MB Air for my travel needs

I realize there is little Apple can do about it. But I do belief Apple could be better in communicating the delays. Sending a customer an email on the last day of promised delivery time (that was delayed few times already) with no more then 1 sentence telling delivery delayed till 22-29 June is blunt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.