Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

is buying original 1st gen Apple watch still a good idea in Late 2016?

• Yes,it's still good enough

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No,it's too old now,spend more and buy the series 1 at least

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
So I had no real interest in Apple Watch,up-until recently..I still think it's far from being what it should be, and the design is not so hot, etc etc
but all the sudden I'm craving one.

so my budget for watch will be limited to Sport , Series 1 only .

I've found a good deals on used but in excellent condition 1st Gen sport model (the original) and I can get it for around HALF the price of the brand-new series 1 sport.

so is it worth it? or I should just skip it no matter what and go for the series one?
I do not want to buy it just because it's cheap and then be stock with an slow,laggy product than will be useless in 6 months.

I know people were unhappy because of lag and slow performance of the original, but I keep reading with watch os 3 the original performs almost a s fast as series 1.is that true?

what do you think?

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
but is it worth paying twice the price?

also is the Watch OS and Watch going to follow iOS routine of updates every year? because it's a watch and not supposed to become obsolete every 3 years at least?

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
So I had no real interest in Apple Watch,up-until recently..I still think it's far from being what it should be, and the design is not so hot, etc etc

I've found a good deals on used but in excellent condition 1st Gen sport model (the original) and I can get it for around HALF the price of the brand-new series 1 sport.

so is it worth it? or I should just skip it no matter what and go for the series one?
I do not want to buy it just because it's cheap and then be stock with an slow,laggy product than will be useless in 6 months.

I know people were unhappy because of lag and slow performance of the original, but I keep reading with watch os 3 the original performs almost a s fast as series 1.is that true?

what do you think?
I'm selling my series 0 if your interested.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At the minimum, S1 will last you a year longer than S0 before Apple officially stops making updates for it. Whether that will happen next year or the year after that or even three years from now is kind of up in the Air.

I think if you buy a S0 and you like it, chances are you'll be tempted to upgrade when Apple releases an S3. If you buy the S2 or S1, you may be able to hold out until S4.

I mean, it's called a watch, but it's actually an electronic gadget, and is going to have a life span of a gadget. Plan your purchase with that in mind.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
but is it worth paying twice the price?

also is the Watch OS and Watch going to follow iOS routine of updates every year? because it's a watch and not supposed to become obsolete every 3 years at least?
Nobody but a few people at Apple know what's going to happen. The iPhone has been out for almost 10 years and they surprised everyone by not updating the design this year. The Watch hasn't been out long enough for anyone to have a feel for the updates. I bought the Series 1 as my first Apple Watch, partly because I thought a first gen would cost more in the long run because I would feel the need to upgrade it sooner.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Stay away from s0 , i just sold my sport gray for 230 euros. It is a slow and laggy device. It was slow from the start but os3 made it worst.

I do plan to get a dual core s1 or s2 , but right now it is not a priority.

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
You need to think about what you'd use the watch for. I'm probably not going to replace my series 0 watch right now, myself. The only thing I'd like is the brighter screen. The faster speed is nice and I think it'd change your perspective about apps-- they're actually viable now-- but for my purposes, the speed isn't critical. I really just need notifications for work. Weather apps and Siri reminders are also handled well by my 0. If speaker quality were better, I might upgrade. Battery life is not that much better-- I'll still charge every day since that's my routine and I never run out of battery on my series 0. I don't need waterproofing or gps. The things I really want are software upgrades-- an always-on display and 3rd party faces. If those were tied into a series 2 upgrade, I'd have gotten one already.

Reactions: Defender2010

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

what do you think?

I was in the same situation... I didn't "need" an Apple Watch but found myself really wanting one. Specifically, I was in the market for some sort of activity tracker and began to do a lot of research on different types and models.

Everything, for me anyway, kept coming back to the Apple Watch. I knew I didn't want to swim with it and I do all my exercise inside at the gym so the GPS tracking wasn't a "must have' for me either.

I ultimately went with the space grey, 42mm Series 1 Apple Watch even though I found numerous deals on the original watch that was of course used. What helped me make that decision was non other than a boat load of review videos on Youtube. The real world compare and contrast information was more than enough to help me see first hand how each version performed.

I can tell you that I LOVE this watch and don't regret the $299 price tag. Good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: ColdShadow

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
If you were going for the SS 1st Gen, then that
But if you're only going Sport, would highly recommend the Series 1

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Refurb series 2 might be an option.

You can save some money with a refurbished model. The only drawback is some users are reporting inconsistencies with the condition the Watch casing has arrived in. Some have specified the refurbished Watch has been in mint condition and the others have said the casing has shown signs of previous owner damage. It appears lottery of what you receive. I wouldn't be content with a "Used" Watch. I want a product that is near or like new if I purchase refurbished.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
If you're getting a good deal for the SS with leather or link bracelet maybe its worth it if you want that particular band. Just get a new watch when Series 3 comes rolling..

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
This thread is a couple of months old so I hope that ColdShadow is already enjoying his/her watch.

With Target having the Series 1 watches on sale by $70 this week, it's a no brainer for anyone considering S0 vs S1, I think.

I personally upgraded from S0 sport to a SS SB S2 refurb. The speed increase makes the watch much more usable for 3rd party apps. My refurb was in excellent condition. I shipped it to the store with the express purpose of inspecting it before taking it home. The SS S2 refurbs ship in the small long boxes instead of the cubes with storage box like the new ones, just as warning for anyone considering. They also include only the charging cable not the power brick.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This thread is a couple of months old so I hope that ColdShadow is already enjoying his/her watch.

With Target having the Series 1 watches on sale by $70 this week, it's a no brainer for anyone considering S0 vs S1, I think.

I personally upgraded from S0 sport to a SS SB S2 refurb. The speed increase makes the watch much more usable for 3rd party apps. My refurb was in excellent condition. I shipped it to the store with the express purpose of inspecting it before taking it home. The SS S2 refurbs ship in the small long boxes instead of the cubes with storage box like the new ones, just as warning for anyone considering. They also include only the charging cable not the power brick.

I would definitely say the Series 2 Apple Watch, if you have a lot of third-party applications, the increased processor definitely Helps there. I don't use hardly any third-party applications at all, and the performance seems similar in speeds on my first generation and second generation Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.