Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biopig

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hi,
I've been using iPad since iPad 3, it's been a pleasure using my iPads for movies, books, casual internet browsing. A couple years ago, I got an iPad min 2 cellular, then sold it for some reason, I liked its portability whenever I don't want to carry a full size iPad or MacBook.

Right now I'm using a iPad Pro 11" cellular, it's a great improvement from the older iPads, like the thin bezel, the wonderful ProMotion screen, the stereo speakers, and FaceID. I use it for everything in class, especially like notes taking with Apple Pencil 2. But sometimes I feel like I ALSO need a smaller iPad for using on bed, or the same reason I got my iPad mini 2. But there are also reasons holding me back from buying it, like the THICK bezel, the mono speakers, and most importantly, the very dated looking - it looks almost the same as the original iPad mini!

I wish Apple could "invent" an iPad Pro mini / iPad mini Pro that has the same feature as the current iPad Pro 11/12.9 with smaller size. Or, at least, trim the bezel of iPad mini!

I know the Apple event will be happening tomorrow, but I also want a smaller iPad very bad. Should I get the iPad mini 5 right now?

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Just get one from a place with a good return policy, try it out and see if they announce a new one. Enjoy!

Reactions: biopig

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
I've been using iPad since iPad 3, it's been a pleasure using my iPads for movies, books, casual internet browsing. A couple years ago, I got an iPad min 2 cellular, then sold it for some reason, I liked its portability whenever I don't want to carry a full size iPad or MacBook.

Right now I'm using a iPad Pro 11" cellular, it's a great improvement from the older iPads, like the thin bezel, the wonderful ProMotion screen, the stereo speakers, and FaceID. I use it for everything in class, especially like notes taking with Apple Pencil 2. But sometimes I feel like I ALSO need a smaller iPad for using on bed, or the same reason I got my iPad mini 2. But there are also reasons holding me back from buying it, like the THICK bezel, the mono speakers, and most importantly, the very dated looking - it looks almost the same as the original iPad mini!

I wish Apple could "invent" an iPad Pro mini / iPad mini Pro that has the same feature as the current iPad Pro 11/12.9 with smaller size. Or, at least, trim the bezel of iPad mini!

I know the Apple event will be happening tomorrow, but I also want a smaller iPad very bad. Should I get the iPad mini 5 right now?
Yeah, I can tell you'd really like one!

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I too wish the mini had smaller bezels to make it smaller.... I am thinking about getting a mini, since the new iPhones do not have pencil support.... Or I am going to try out a new - high end stylus.

I do have 2 12.9" an new 11" - which is great for portability. 1 of my daughter's is using the Air 2. I also like the smaller bezels etc on the 2018 iPads that I have.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I like the ipad mini size, I also have an iphone 8 and mainly use it for i-message phone calls and to quickly look something up on the net. Ive had a mini before and basically used it for consumption my only concern is text size while browsing the net, my eyes arent what they used to be when the first ipad mini came out so I like bigger text...i also will have to upgrade to a bigger phone eventually so Im kinda stuck about what to do at the moment ...

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Which one do you find your self using more, the mini or the pro?

it was jarring at first going back to the mini 5, due to screen size and lower speaker/sound quality. I find myself using the pro 10.5 if I want that fuller experience. But when it comes to being out and about, I like carrying the mini 5 more as it’s as light as a feather and is easier to hold.

I was going to sell the 10.5 but I may just keep it around because I don’t want to be totally stuck with a tiny iPad...yet. Maybe things will change for the better in a few months.

Plus LTE data is nice even though Sprint service sucks when it comes to data speeds.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
I had a mini 2 and gave it away to get a new mini 5 when they came out. Wish I had the 2 back. The 5 isn't nearly as nice. It freezes like it's busy in the background. The 2 never did that. The 5 just does not seem any faster or efficient. I'm hoping that iPadOS is going to take advantage of whatever the 5 is supposed to have.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
I have both iPad Pro 11" and iPad Mini 5. I use both with Apple Pencil and take notes using GoodNotes. I use the Mini as a field notebook and the iPad Pro when I have more space or need more room. It's been great. Mini 5 was a huge improvement over Mini 4 for me.

I do wish for a "Pro" mini, with USB-C, Apple Pencil 2 support, Face ID, and same design as the current iPad Pros. It's a pain to have to carry two different cables for charging and two Pencils.

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I do wish for a "Pro" mini, with USB-C, Apple Pencil 2 support, Face ID, and same design as the current iPad Pros. It's a pain to have to carry two different cables for charging and two Pencils.

PShady said it exactly!

Reactions: duggram

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I had a mini 2 and gave it away to get a new mini 5 when they came out. Wish I had the 2 back. The 5 isn't nearly as nice. It freezes like it's busy in the background. The 2 never did that. The 5 just does not seem any faster or efficient. I'm hoping that iPadOS is going to take advantage of whatever the 5 is supposed to have.

Can't say I've had performance issues on the Mini 5. I kept my old Mini 2 on 10.3.3, and even then, it was so slow for doing much of anything besides Netflix or Youtube.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Can't say I've had performance issues on the Mini 5. I kept my old Mini 2 on 10.3.3, and even then, it was so slow for doing much of anything besides Netflix or Youtube.
The main reason I use a mini is to pair with my inReach satellite communicator. Maps are bigger and typing out messages is a lot easier on the bigger screen. I also use it for reading and music. For some reason the 5 is a turd for this use. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with it.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
i have a 2018 12.9 Pro that I bring with me to work everyday - bought the iPad mini 5 for home/couch/bed and I don’t regret it one bit - I never owned a mini prior to this one - and I love it. Will probably always have a mini from here on out - It would be awesome if they made one with no bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.