Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I get the iPhone 6S or the iPhone 7 ?

• iPhone 6s

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • iPhone 7

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an iPhone quite soon but i'm a bit torn here.

I see some bug reports concerning the iPhone 7. I know it's normal to read about bugs as people will talk about their complaints more than anything else but I do not remember reading about problems concerning the iPhone 6s.

Let the price and the jack aside, i'm wondering whether i should go with a brand new generation or if I should rather bet with a more mature model which will also be obsolete sooner.

All I can tell is that I want an iPhone soon (no waiting for the 2017 model) and that I plan to use it for at least 2 years. I should also add that I do not play on a phone and do not necessarily need tons of power.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
iPhone 6s is very solid phone, we recently bought one about three weeks ago.

If you are concerned about defects, wait on the iPhone 7. The phones improve the longer you wait into the production cycle. Problems are found and fixed over the phone's life. If you look at any phone manufacturer, early production models unquestionably have more defects than production models late in the product lifecycle.

So your choices are an iPhone 6s now, or an iPhone 7 sometime next year.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an iPhone quite soon but i'm a bit torn here.

I see some bug reports concerning the iPhone 7. I know it's normal to read about bugs as people will talk about their complaints more than anything else but I do not remember reading about problems concerning the iPhone 6s.

Let the price and the jack aside, i'm wondering whether i should go with a brand new generation or if I should rather bet with a more mature model which will also be obsolete sooner.

All I can tell is that I want an iPhone soon (no waiting for the 2017 model) and that I plan to use it for at least 2 years. I should also add that I do not play on a phone and do not necessarily need tons of power.
I love my 7 the new button is my favorite, the battery life is amazing compared to my former galaxy s7, also if you get the iphone 7 you can probably sell it for close to what you have for it when the 8 comes out. But yeah I'd definitely get the 7 and not the 6s

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Erm, there were lots of threads on 6s issues when it launched last year, and when 6 launched, and on and on.. the forum is always obsessed with issues each release. Yellow screen, battery life, out of box cosmetic issues, dropping and cracking the screen on the first week and Genius giving free replacements, all these are already expected each year.

The 7 is definitely more worthwhile with its water resistance, stereo speaker and somewhat better battery life. The only real issue this year should be the hissing and white noise while recording videos. However, I think it's overblown to a certain extent.. most 7+ exhibits the issue but not all of them are audible during phone call, video recording. Unless you can find a very good deal for the 6s, I'd suggest to go with the 7.

danielllb

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2015
The Netherlands
I have had to make the same decision, and I went with the 6S. I had the 6 before but I went nuts over the creaking screen and crescent moon front cam that kept coming back even after switching the phone out multiple times. The 7 seems to have a lot of issues too, including the creaking screen on the Plus. I generally like having the latest of the latest when it comes to phones, but I have decided I will hop on the S-cycle and I'm very happy with my 6S! In a lot of speed tests on YouTube the UI on the 7 is actually laggier than the 6S. No hate to the 7 but I think the 6S is going to be more of a bug-free experience if you value that. And it's cheaper too.

Reactions: maxsix

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I had an iPhone 6S. I sold it and bought an iPhone 7.

I'm delighted with it. No flaws. No yellow screen. No uneven brightness. No weird hissing noises. It's a stunning phone. Astonishing screen. Really beautiful. Love the new button. Great speakers: excellent volume.

Zero regrets.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Iphone 7 obviously, now although the 6s belong to the past it has a pretty good performance still, in my country it still cost the same as it did last year....

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I was gonna recommend the 6S+ but if you're planning to keep the device for 2 years, I'd say get the 7/7+

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
From what I saw the phones almost cost the same. So based on that go with the 7.

I got the 6s last year in the first month. Solid phone for the year i owned it. Based on that, go with the 7.

Yes, there are problems with phones. It will happen. I have seen 20-25 iPhone 7/7+ and not seen the yellow screen or other issues people are complaining about.

Based on tech, yes the 6s can hang with the 7, but long run, imo the 7 will last longer as new apps and OS's come out.

My battery was great in the 6s running IOS 10.0.1. It is amazing in the 7 running IOS 10.0.1. Just got 50 hours of standby with 8:15 of usage. Still had 15% left too.

Get the 7 IMO

Last edited:

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I just got a used, but impeccable iP6+ (64gb) with 1 yr left on Applecare+ for $700 CAD (@ $560 usd). I could have ordered a iP7+ with 128gb (and wait @ 4-6 weeks) and would have paid $1430 cad ($1100 usd) for it.

In my book, that's HALF PRICE ... I think I'll get the iP7+ next year for half price again.... and sit out the battle... :)

Get a used iP6+, and do other things in your life.

Reactions: azpekt

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you are going to buy the phone directly from apple or at retail prices, that $100 difference is well worth getting the 7 IMO, no reason not to.

If you are willing to buy a used phone and can get the 6S for much cheaper, then I would do that.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
If you are going to buy the phone directly from apple or at retail prices, that $100 difference is well worth getting the 7 IMO, no reason not to.

If you are willing to buy a used phone and can get the 6S for much cheaper, then I would do that.

I agree with you, for $100 difference, get an iP7+, but if you can snag a great used iP6+ for half the price (especially with 1 yr of Applecare+ left over), get the iP6+... :)

Reactions: mattopotamus

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Of the two iPhone 6S Plus and three iPhone 7 Plus models I bought for family members, I'm very pleased with my decision to keep the 6S+ for myself. Some of it is personal preference, and the other decision making factor is based on Apples variable quality control as of late.

One of the 7+ models is actually trouble free... a very nice surprise. The other two each had issues requiring replacement. A time consuming frustrating situation that a customer shouldn't have to deal with, but is a fact of life with Apple circa 2016.

I was quite pleased with my trouble free iPhone 6S Plus from last year, so I bought a fresh new higher capacity 128GB iPhone 6S Plus for this year. It's a great way to get by till the upcoming iPhone 8 models are released.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Of the two iPhone 6S Plus and three iPhone 7 Plus models I bought for family members, I'm very pleased with my decision to keep the 6S+ for myself. Some of it is personal preference, and the other decision making factor is based on Apples variable quality control as of late.

One of the 7+ models is actually trouble free... a very nice surprise. The other two each had issues requiring replacement. A time consuming frustrating situation that a customer shouldn't have to deal with, but is a fact of life with Apple circa 2016.

I was quite pleased with my trouble free iPhone 6S Plus from last year, so I bought a fresh new higher capacity 128GB iPhone 6S Plus for this year. It's a great way to get by till the upcoming iPhone 8 models are released.
I thought about getting another 6s, but decided to get the 7. So far, so good. Had an initial issue with restotring from a backup. iCloud would not work and iTunes was giving me fits. Finally got it to work. Very happy, love the new home button. Can't stand the old one.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Is money an issue? The base 6s gets you twice thebstirage (64GB) for $100 less.

Does the built in headphone jack matter? You're stick using an adapter with the 7.

Does the speaker on the phone after? The 7 is leaps and bounds better there.

Does low light photography matter? The 7 is better at this (though it's not as stark andifference as I expected based on it being a huge selling point).

Everything else is about the same. The 7 has a faster processor which, in practice, I've not seen a darn bit of difference. Still, it may mean it will have a longer longevity. But then you're also paying more so...

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Thanks for all your answers I really appreciate. Price not being an issue per se (severance package...) I'll get the iPhone 7. MY choice is made up. Now, let's see what this new MBP looks like :)

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I was in a similar situation and decided to get a 6s (upgrade from a 6). The 7 looks awesome and I have friends and colleagues who love theirs, but I decided to save a bit of money and get a 128GB 6s for the same price as a 32GB 7. Nothing about the 7 made me feel it was worth the extra money for me right now, and I'm not quite ready to give up my headphone jack. I also wanted the SIM free version, which is not available in the 7 yet where I live, so it was an easy choice for me.

The 6s has surprised me with how much faster it is than the 6 and I'm really liking it so far. Double the storage is great too. No problems at all with it either. My 6 had a slight dimming at the top of the screen but my 6s is perfectly even. No regrets with my decision. Next year I can sell my 6s for a decent amount (sold my 64GB SIM free 6 where I live for about $480) and get the next iteration iPhone if I'm so inclined.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I still have my 6s+ and did a side by side comparison this weekend. Now this is just my experience, not only was the screen brighter, but I found the 7 loaded pages much faster than my plus. Glad I upgraded.

Reactions: Thor_1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.