Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wait?

• Yes

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
I currently have a OnePlus 3T but I want to get an iPhone (preferably the Max) so I can use all the features of my AirPods and integrate better with my MacBook Pro.

I'm at the point now where I'm having to re-pair my AirPods with my phone on a regular basis because occasionally they don't connect properly (outputs volume at a really low level, even when my bluetooth volume is maxed out)

The issue is that if I wait, i'll have to suffer several more months of these connectivity issues. I really like my AirPods, so getting a different pair of earphones isn't an option. The other thing is that i've heard rumors that this year's iPhones will have a smaller notch and possibly the return of the battery percentage indicator?

Would be grateful to hear your thoughts/opinions

EDIT: I'm not considering the older 7/8 plus models

Reactions: farbeyondrivin

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have a OnePlus 3T but I want to get an iPhone (preferably the Max) so I can use all the features of my AirPods and integrate better with my MacBook Pro.

I'm at the point now where I'm having to re-pair my AirPods with my phone on a regular basis because occasionally they don't connect properly (outputs volume at a really low level, even when my bluetooth volume is maxed out)

The issue is that if I wait, i'll have to suffer several more months of these connectivity issues. I really like my AirPods, so getting a different pair of earphones isn't an option. The other thing is that i've heard rumors that this year's iPhones will have a smaller notch and possibly the return of the battery percentage indicator?

I don’t forsee the 2019 Max being that much different, aside from the triple Lens camera rumored. I don’t think a smaller notch would influence my purchasing decision either, being the notch is a non-issue anyways. But my thoughts are, why wait? Why not take advantage of the 2018 Max, especially being you would have to wait just under nine months for the new one, given your connectivity issues.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Considering it’s 8 months out, I probably wouldn’t wait, especially if I were having issues with something that would be corrected by getting the new phone.

Reactions: MacGurl111

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Lmao, "Last year's iPhone Xs Max". Sounds like the Xs Max is a really old phone.

Don't wait and get it. It's not even 4 months since the release.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hmm, on top of that, a surely-will-happen price hike on 2019 model, with no discount of previous generation whatsoever.

Reactions: MacGurl111

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s only January so the XS Max is still only a few months old. It’s the current iPhone so I see no reason to wait 9-10 months extra when you could be taking advantage of the features now. They will likely discontinue it like last years X as this years new iPhone will likely be very similar any way. We already know performance difference is minimal year on year so the significant difference will mostly likely be an even more excellent camera lol.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I currently have a OnePlus 3T ....

It's only January. The XS and XS Max are hardly antiquated. They've only been out three months, for goodness sake.

Plus...you've held onto a OnePlus 3T all this time. Compared to your 3T, it'll be like you're carrying a pocket sized MacBook. :)

Don't fret so much. We all have to jump at some point, and you've already proved that you don't necessarily have to jump at every opportunity.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The 2020 model is rumoured to be the next more major improvement, possibly with 5G etc. So if you wait, I would wait for that. lol

Personally I would get the XS Max now, and stick with it until the 2020 model. Its only a few months old!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I love my XS Max. Though I did wish I kinda got the XR. But however, can't complain about how good the XS Max is. This year's version probably won't have too many bells and whistles. The OnePlus 3T probably ran its course and you could get the XS Max on some deals here and there. I would get one and enjoy the hell out of it for as long as possible.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
There will always be something newer, and XS Max is only 3 months into the cycle. Pretty much ideal time to buy it as most early bugs have been ironed out. It will also hold value well if you want to sell it when the new one comes out.

Using such an old phone it's a no brainer, really. Buy it.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

I waited until May 2018 to buy my X and have no regrets other then battery life. Probably just going to upgrade to the XS if they won’t fix my battery on warranty befor it expires

I am a prior note and s10 owner which was my style, and as of today, have the Xsmax on the way. Even though many as usual yped over the not yet existent iPhone 11, will ne pretty damn happy when mine comes. Many with same max may be over with the honeymoon, but mines about to start ready or not. I chose gold.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I am a prior note and s10 owner which was my style, and as of today, have the Xsmax on the way. Even though many as usual yped over the not yet existent iPhone 11, will ne pretty damn happy when mine comes. Many with same max may be over with the honeymoon, but mines about to start ready or not. I chose gold.

Enjoy, your going to love it.

I don't want to double dip, but if your pockets are deep, then wait, if not go with the max and wait for price drop for the alleged iPhone 11, then pull the trigger again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.