Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
First off, I've been a long time Windows fan boy. Although my first experience on a computer was with a neighbors Macintosh, and I was taught on an Apple in elementary school, for the most part grew up with Windows. When I went to college and got my business degree, I spent most of my time in Word and Excel, preparing business reports and generating advanced financial modeling in Excel, that it didn't make much sense to even consider getting an Apple. However, over the last 10 years I've been watching from the sidelines how Mac is actually pretty accessible for Office users like myself. Then a few years ago, Microsoft made the strategic decision to regularly update and support MacOS Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. I think it's a genius move by Microsoft as I will be a Microsoft customer for life, I just won't ever purchase one of their computers again!

Secondly, in 2020, I purchased my first ever Apple computer. I go the 13" MacBook Pro and have been so impressed with MacOS. I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. The transition between apps, file system, ease of use, is just a pleasurable experience. I run my own business and am on the computer 10-12+ hours a day. So it makes the day enjoyable. I actually prefer Excel, Word, and Outlook on the Mac and it has like 99% of all the functionality of Windows.

So, with all that said, my question is: should I get an iPad Pro 11? I already have an iPhone. While I do all my work from home, it would be nice to take hand-written notes on the iPad and use it for surfing the web when I'm chilling on the couch. I just don't know if it's worth $1400 (pencil and magic keyboard). Prior to Covid, I did a lot of my work in coffee shops. I plan to do that again when things get back to normal. I think I would take the iPad with me more than the MacBook. I know that I won't be able to do 100% of my work on the iPad. I still need to use the MacBook for certain software programs that aren't available on iPad.

Does anyone on here regularly use a MacBook Pro and iPad together? What is your workflow like? Most people say that they typically use either or but not both. Would be great to hear what everyone's feedback is and if they think the iPad Pro is worth $1400?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So, with all that said, my question is: should I get an iPad Pro 11? I already have an iPhone. While I do all my work from home, it would be nice to take hand-written notes on the iPad and use it for surfing the web when I'm chilling on the couch. I just don't know if it's worth $1400 (pencil and magic keyboard).
It doesn't sound like a Pro is worth the money for you. Even the entry level iPad supports using a pencil and keyboard/trackpad.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
An ipad air 4 would save you £200, which can use the magic keyboard and pencil 2 just like the Pro 11. Like chrfr said even a entry level ipad 8 would do the job.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I really like to use iPads both in business as well as in private life. Wether or not you’d really enjoy it equally is hard to tell. My Macs haven’t left the office in a while, put it that way.

I recommend you buy the device you desire the most from a shop with a decent return policy and try it out for a few days. I take handwritten notes a lot and enjoy the Apple Pencil experience.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
First off, I've been a long time Windows fan boy. Although my first experience on a computer was with a neighbors Macintosh, and I was taught on an Apple in elementary school, for the most part grew up with Windows. When I went to college and got my business degree, I spent most of my time in Word and Excel, preparing business reports and generating advanced financial modeling in Excel, that it didn't make much sense to even consider getting an Apple. However, over the last 10 years I've been watching from the sidelines how Mac is actually pretty accessible for Office users like myself. Then a few years ago, Microsoft made the strategic decision to regularly update and support MacOS Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. I think it's a genius move by Microsoft as I will be a Microsoft customer for life, I just won't ever purchase one of their computers again!

Secondly, in 2020, I purchased my first ever Apple computer. I go the 13" MacBook Pro and have been so impressed with MacOS. I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. The transition between apps, file system, ease of use, is just a pleasurable experience. I run my own business and am on the computer 10-12+ hours a day. So it makes the day enjoyable. I actually prefer Excel, Word, and Outlook on the Mac and it has like 99% of all the functionality of Windows.

So, with all that said, my question is: should I get an iPad Pro 11? I already have an iPhone. While I do all my work from home, it would be nice to take hand-written notes on the iPad and use it for surfing the web when I'm chilling on the couch. I just don't know if it's worth $1400 (pencil and magic keyboard). Prior to Covid, I did a lot of my work in coffee shops. I plan to do that again when things get back to normal. I think I would take the iPad with me more than the MacBook. I know that I won't be able to do 100% of my work on the iPad. I still need to use the MacBook for certain software programs that aren't available on iPad.

Does anyone on here regularly use a MacBook Pro and iPad together? What is your workflow like? Most people say that they typically use either or but not both. Would be great to hear what everyone's feedback is and if they think the iPad Pro is worth $1400?
Buy the iPad Air 4. It offers a much better experience than the budget iPad.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Regarding workflow....

I jump back and forth from iPhone to iPad to Macbook as the task at hand and the ease of the particular interface moves me...

iPad serves a wonderful intermediate purpose, when you want your stuff in an iOS interface but need a bigger screen. And when you need to pound away at the keyboard or really need lots of monitor space, go sit down at the Macbook and attached monitors.

I gave up trying to find the "one true device".

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Regarding workflow....

I jump back and forth from iPhone to iPad to Macbook as the task at hand and the ease of the particular interface moves me...

iPad serves a wonderful intermediate purpose, when you want your stuff in an iOS interface but need a bigger screen. And when you need to pound away at the keyboard or really need lots of monitor space, go sit down at the Macbook and attached monitors.

Thank you for the feedback. That's how I'm seeing using it. I don't think I could switch full-time to an iPad because of what I do for work. I will always have to run custom programs and have a desktop background.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Regarding workflow....

I generally agree that it's hard to find one device for everything. I work on an iMac and/or Macbook Pro. I've never used one of the fancy keyboards with trackpad so I won't comment on just how well it works with apps like Word and Excel. I use statistical packages that won't run on an iPad so using one for work is moot for me, at this point. I have an older iPad that I'm intending to upgrade in the not too distant future. I use my iPad a lot. I can quickly look stuff up, check email, I do most of my reading on it, watch some videos, etc. If money is no object, go for it. My suggestions for consideration are: 1) iPad 8. Not as nice as the Air but much less expensive and an impressive device for the price. My wife has one and it's a lot nicer than my 9.7" iPad Pro. That would give you a relatively inexpensive way to see how the device works for a lot of things. My one concern would be that it doesn't support the newest Apple pencil and wouldn't give you the same note taking experience, if that's something you think you would use. 2) Buy a 4th generation Air. It's a really nice device with a better and larger screen, faster processor, supports the Apple pencil 2, and can use the same keyboard as the 11" Pro. You could add the keyboard later if you think it would work for you. 3) If you want the Pro you might want to wait, unless you need it right now. Lots of rumors that new Pros will be announced in the not too distant future. I suspect you'd like an iPad. It interfaces so nicely with other Apple devices, assuming you use iCloud. Add a meeting, contact, bookmark, note, ... on one device and it's available on all.

Reactions: FMRWin10Boy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.