Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
Hi,
About two weeks ago my cat spilled some fruit juice on my new 13" MacBook Pro. I immediately turned my Mac upside down and started cleaning it. The juice was rather thick and after a repair estimate in an apple certified repairer they advised me to replace the entirety of the Top case.
Here's the thing, the reparation cost is approximately 510$, and the only problem that my mac has are some stuck keys (after I tried to clean them), and some juice residue on my top case and other components ( bottom case, trackpad).
The technician who analyzed my computer himself said that my computer was perfectly fine and in working order.

I really don't want to pay 500+ dollars just to replace a part that I could eventually replace myself on a totally working computer. But I also don't want to lose my guarantee in case of future problems.

Before making my decision I wanted an unbiased external opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Did you take this to a brick n mortar Apple Store?
Or... to a 3rd-party service provider?

I would recommend Apple for such a job.

My prediction is that if you try replacing it yourself, the process won't go as planned, and you'll STILL end up paying someone else to do the replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Which part are we considering the "top case"? Technically all macbook pros are unibody since quite a while so there's no such thing as the top case... what exactly would you be replacing? The keyboard? The whole unibody? The keyboard is now part of the unibody or what? Because in that case, you are replacing the whole casing. The bottom is easy to remove and clean, that wouldn't be such a big deal, but the "top" is actually the last thing when dismantling the machine... tough one :( I replaced a keyboard in a macbook pro once and I hated it as it is the very last thing to come out after a million screws and adhesives...

Reactions: OsmokK

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
Did you take this to a brick n mortar Apple Store?
Or... to a 3rd-party service provider?

I would recommend Apple for such a job.

My prediction is that if you try replacing it yourself, the process won't go as planned, and you'll STILL end up paying someone else to do the replacement.
I took it to an apple authorized store not to an apple store.

I will bring it to an apple store for the reparation.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
Which part are we considering the "top case"? Technically all macbook pros are unibody since quite a while so there's no such thing as the top case... what exactly would you be replacing? The keyboard? The whole unibody? The keyboard is now part of the unibody or what? Because in that case, you are replacing the whole casing. The bottom is easy to remove and clean, that wouldn't be such a big deal, but the "top" is actually the last thing when dismantling the machine... tough one :( I replaced a keyboard in a macbook pro once and I hated it as it is the very last thing to come out after a million screws and adhesives...
When I'm talking about the top case I include the part gathering the trackpad, keyboard, battery...
I saw that it's the trickiest part to dissemble and replace but I hadn't fully realized what it entailed.
Thank you !

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I took it to an apple authorized store not to an apple store.

I will bring it to an apple store for the reparation.
Apple will probably be significantly more expensive than the authorized repair facility. They typically charge the highest tier price for liquid damage and for a repair like this on a new computer it will probably be somewhere around $7-900 or more.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
How would you go about replacing the top case yourself? Is Apple's Self-Repair thing available where you are?
I was thinking about ordering the piece and doing it at home but the reply on this thread persuaded me not to do so.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
In all honesty, if the machine is perfectly fine otherwise, depending on where you live, I would go to a non-official repair place who has good reputation and can possibly offer a refurb keyboard (or clean yours in an untrasonic cleaner?), but the thing is, maybe a thorough internal clean is all it needs. An official place will only think in replacing parts and not potentially fixing through cleaning...

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
In all honesty, if the machine is perfectly fine otherwise, depending on where you live, I would go to a non-official repair place who has good reputation and can possibly offer a refurb keyboard (or clean yours in an untrasonic cleaner?), but the thing is, maybe a thorough internal clean is all it needs. An official place will only think in replacing parts and not potentially fixing through cleaning...
Exactly, originally I wanted just a cleaning not a reparation since there is no damages (strictly speaking) but the apple store I went and the apple authorized store do not offer such services, and I don't know want to go in a bad store where I could lose my guarantee.
I am not a technician but a total replacement seems a little bit excessive in my case, I will search about the ultrasonic cleaning you mentioned thank you.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
Apple will probably be significantly more expensive than the authorized repair facility. They typically charge the highest tier price for liquid damage and for a repair like this on a new computer it will probably be somewhere around $7-900 or more.
Thank you I was unaware of this.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Oh, so the macbook pro is under warranty?? Bad news... but in reality, I'm not persuaded you would not lose your warranty anyway at that point. Liquid damage usually invalidates any warranty (officially at least) as the liquid indicators have probably tripped. I don't want to give crappy advice, it's a hard one.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
Oh, so the macbook pro is under warranty?? Bad news... but in reality, I'm not persuaded you would not lose your warranty anyway at that point. Liquid damage usually invalidates any warranty (officially at least) as the liquid indicators have probably tripped. I don't want to give crappy advice, it's a hard one.
Thank you for everything, I will search if my guarantie is still valid, if you know where I could find this information I would with pleasure.

Never Again

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
I have recently disassembled my 2016 13 Inch Macbook Pro, which should be rather close to your model except for the touch bar and with my experience from repairing some iPhone SE1 (and several different screwdrivers from iFixit), I'd say it was manageable but I would only do it if really necessary, not for some stuck keys and sticky stuff in the gap around the trackpad. Of course, I don't know how bad your top case looks but it would cost you hundreds if you get the repair part and tools from Apple's self repair program (if they offer these parts, I don't know, I CAN'T CHECK THE STORE WITHOUT A SERIAL, APPLE WTF), I'm afraid.
But you wouldn't need to replace the top case, anyway, would you? If you want it really clean, just take it apart, put the top case without battery in a bath of cleaning alcohol and let it soak a bit, then use a tooth brush for the little stuff? You will lose those isolating pads on the inside of the top case and would have to deal with the trackpad separately, but I think that would be the most logical process.
I have never done any of that, though, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm just theorising.
Hope it helps, anyway 🤝

Never Again

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Thank you for everything, I will search if my guarantie is still valid, if you know where I could find this information I would with pleasure.
The warranty is voided in case of liquid damage, but you can always try to ask Apple Service directly anyway, no?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
In all honesty, if the machine is perfectly fine otherwise, depending on where you live, I would go to a non-official repair place who has good reputation and can possibly offer a refurb keyboard (or clean yours in an untrasonic cleaner?), but the thing is, maybe a thorough internal clean is all it needs. An official place will only think in replacing parts and not potentially fixing through cleaning.
This. A substantial amount of work by someone is required, so you need to decide who expends all that time and effort. Time costs money.

And if you try the cleaning route (which does sound most logical) you still need to be aware that after the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly work has been expended the device still may not work without full-on parts replacement available only from a certified repair entity.

OsmokK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2023
I have recently disassembled my 2016 13 Inch Macbook Pro, which should be rather close to your model except for the touch bar and with my experience from repairing some iPhone SE1 (and several different screwdrivers from iFixit), I'd say it was manageable but I would only do it if really necessary, not for some stuck keys and sticky stuff in the gap around the trackpad. Of course, I don't know how bad your top case looks but it would cost you hundreds if you get the repair part and tools from Apple's self repair program (if they offer these parts, I don't know, I CAN'T CHECK THE STORE WITHOUT A SERIAL, APPLE WTF), I'm afraid.
But you wouldn't need to replace the top case, anyway, would you? If you want it really clean, just take it apart, put the top case without battery in a bath of cleaning alcohol and let it soak a bit, then use a tooth brush for the little stuff? You will lose those isolating pads on the inside of the top case and would have to deal with the trackpad separately, but I think that would be the most logical process.
I have never done any of that, though, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm just theorising.
Hope it helps, anyway 🤝
Thank you for the help and advice, cleaning seems the most logical option even if I would then lose my warranty.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Exactly, originally I wanted just a cleaning not a reparation since there is no damages (strictly speaking) but the apple store I went and the apple authorized store do not offer such services, and I don't know want to go in a bad store where I could lose my guarantee.
I am not a technician but a total replacement seems a little bit excessive in my case, I will search about the ultrasonic cleaning you mentioned thank you.
Apple cleaned under my keys after ice cream was spilled on my keyboard. Glasgow Buchanan Street in the UK.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
While it may be more expensive, I would honestly recommend taking it into an Apple Store. You will know for sure that they will use genuine parts.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
While it may be more expensive, I would honestly recommend taking it into an Apple Store. You will know for sure that they will use genuine parts.
IF and this is a very big IF... If he's losing his warranty anyway because it's liquid damage (if!!), then I would go for the cheapest solution out there (out of the acceptable options of course). A genuine part is only worth it at apple store price as long as that part is considerably worse if not a genuine part is used (e.g. a screen on a phone, a battery, etc). A keyboard could be one of these instances of course (especially butterfly keyboards) since it's a very hardly exchangeable part if you're typing a lot on there. IF the warranty can be saved, then I would definitely go for the Apple Store route as well (but how to be sure... if the OP has an issue later and they'll refuse to help him because of "prior liquid damage"?? :D).

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.