Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Alright, all the nice people on the forum please help me with this :)

Now i'm not much of a photographer, but I do like to take nice pics. In the sense that in the whole of the last year there might have been about one occasion where I might have strolled out on a weekend with the intent of "only taking pictures". But I do like to carry my camera around whenever I get out and take nice pictures. I can use the manual mode on my cam pretty well and understand the basic aspects of it. Currently i have a sony dsc-h5 which i've been using for a year and half. Its a pretty good cam with lots of manual settings and not to mention the awesome 35-438 equivalent zoom, but now I feel like upgrading to a DSLR as the shutterlag on the H5 bothers me(nothing wrong with the cam itself this is true for all P&S). I've been going back and forth over this for a while as i'm not sure if I can justify the cost's involved as most of my photography is just casual. Moreover i'm generally busy with my job and other activities/hobbies, so I dont really have too much time to "dedicate" to photography. So firstly please let me know your opinion on if/not I should upgrade :eek:

Secondly, i have been looking around for a while and if I do get convinced to upgrade or just wake up one day feeling 'sod it wherz the credit card' I have narrowed my choice to the below 3. Which one do you guyz think I should go for? Also note that I will not be buying new lenses for a long time! My budget is under 1000 US$

1) (Used) Canon EOS 20D body
+
(New) TAMRON
AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3
Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (Model A18)

US$ 990

2) (Used) Canon Rebel XTi body
+
(New) TAMRON
AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3
Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (Model A18)

US$ 860

3) (New) Rebel XTi with 2 kit lens
EF-S18-55mm F3.5-5.6 II US??68.5×66mm
EF55-200mm F4.5-5.6 II USM??70.4×97.3mm?EF55-200mm F4.5-5.6
II USM

(US$ 820 - US$80 store credit) = US$740

thanks.

PS: Prices as in japan.

MacBobbins

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
DSLR is the way to go!

Hi,

I was in a similar position last year. The shutter lag on my and my partners compacts were driving me nuts and resulting in lots of pics with slight blur or the moment missed.

A few months after the birth of my daughter I was so miffed I took the plunge and bought a Nikon D40 (a couple of months before the D40X came out, sob, sob). I have not looked back since. There is far less noise, you don't miss the moment and colour reproduction is far superior. With most of my time spent working in a shop or looking after my daughter I too am now just a casual snapper. But the DSLR justs removes most if not all those niggles that come with a compact camera. I think the entry level DSLRs are perfect for the casual snapper because we are usually on a budget (mine was the same as yours in £s) and we don't have the time to mess around waiting to get the perfect shot.

I compared the D40 with the Canon 400D (thats the Euro name for the Canon rebel isn't it?) I prefered the Nikon even with a lower megapixel count. I would recommend going into a shop and trying them out, they fit the hand differently and one should feel more comfortable than the other. People often go on about megapixel counts but the Nikon D40 prints beautifully at A4 and IMHO has less noise than the Rebel.

My advice... take the plunge, you won't look back!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Is small size a requirement? You're not going to be able to just bring the Canon 20D along wherever you go.

If you have never seen one in person, go to Bic Camera or Yodobashi and take a look at an Olympus E-410. It's VERY small. Pictures of this camera don't do its size justice. It is tiny, and a full fledged DSLR.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If you think you can justify the cost and you'll be using it a lot, a DSLR will be worth it. If you'll only be using it once in a blue moon because won't want to take it everywhere with you, then you might want to reconsider if you really need one.

MacBiscuit

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I'd say consider the Olympus E410 with the twin lens kit. The main advantage of Canon is access to a vast range of quality lenses, but the casual photographer doesn't really need this, and the quality of the bundled lenses with the Olympus is arguably higher than the Nikon/Canon cameras

I bought the Olympus E500 with the twin lens kit after a similar dilemma to you and have been delighted, but the E410 (or E510 if you can afford it) is a big step forward.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
thanks MacBobbins. That sways me further towards DSLR :)

Actually I absolutely love the feel of the Nikon. Especially the D80. But its a little out of my budget and i'm a bit skeptical about the D40X as its not compatible with some lenses (so I read).

Yes rebel XTi is the american name for 400D. In japan its called 'Kiss Digital X' and comes with that name slapped on the front of the camera :eek:

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
@ Abstract
I've held the EOS 30D. I guess it would be similar. I usually keep the lenscap of my H5 on all the time. So it's almost like carrying 3/4 the volume of a dslr :) So I feel if I can carry the H5 I should be able to carry 20D too even if its a bit heavier. May be i'm wrong tho I will check it out at the store again thanks!

@ MacBiscuit,Abstract

I will check out the E410. thanks

@ M@lew
I've been tearing my hair over it. Its like one day I console myself that I will never be able to justify the cost and the next day I will be salivating over a D80 at the local store :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I really can't imagine having a DSLR and only using it a few times each year. Why have a Ferrari just to go 'down to the shops'? :)

I have to make a pretty good case to myself when considering new hardware. It's either got to make me money (I'm a photographer by trade...) or be genuinely useful (that is, no more electric back scratchers or foot spas or George Foreman Mean Lean Grilling Machine...).

Hopefully, if you get a DSLR you'll be encouraged to learn more about photography and get plenty of use out of it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Alright, all the nice people on the forum please help me with this :)

Now i'm not much of a photographer, but I do like to take nice pics. In the sense that in the whole of the last year there might have been about one occasion where I might have strolled out on a weekend with the intent of "only taking pictures". But I do like to carry my camera around whenever I get out and take nice pictures.

If you want something you can carry everywhere, a DSLR isn't the right answer if you're not a photographer. It's bulky, obtrusive and heavy compared to a point and shoot. If you're just taking snapshots, many of the newer P&S cameras will have enough quality for most prints you're likely to want and all have enough for computer use.

If you're looking to do photography, want to print at 11x14 and up and don't mind the bulk of a camera *bag* to haul around, then you might be a candidate for a DSLR. It sounds to me like you're not a good candidate and you'll either have to get into photography or force yourself to haul it around to make good on the investment.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
But then entry level dslr's are not much bigger than a sony DSC H5 with the lens cap on. Also I dont plan to buy much accessories for it. I see quite a few people hauling their dslr's around on their shoulders without any accessories or bags and think 'well thats no more hassle than carrying the H5 and its much better equipment' :)

I agree tho the cam is been sufficient for my use as far as image quality and prints are concerned. Just that the other week I went out to take pictures of bullet trains in action here in tokyo and i really started feeling the shutter lag and slow burst. I had to improvise quite a bit to get the train where I wanted it in the frame, while my friend with a EOS 30D was shooting away like it were a machine gun!! So i started wonderin if i should go DSLR

I should probably also mention that I bought my sister the tiny DSC T10 which I can borrow from her if I really need something portable for the day :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you want something you can carry everywhere, a DSLR isn't the right answer if you're not a photographer. It's bulky, obtrusive and heavy compared to a point and shoot. If you're just taking snapshots, many of the newer P&S cameras will have enough quality for most prints you're likely to want and all have enough for computer use.

Or if he's tired of missed shots....

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'd go for that Tamron lens over the two Canon kit lenses. Personally, I try to target low-cost, high IQ lenses and throw convenience out the window. But that's just me. If you're going for do-it-all, the Tamron should have better IQ than the two Canon kit lenses over that range, and you won't have to carry an extra lens.

As everyone will suggest, however, you should also get the 50mm f/1.8. At $70, it'll give you a vastly superior lens to any of the lenses you've listed for flashless low-light and portrait photography. While it lacks zoom versatility (other than feet), it'd complement a super-zoom like the Tamron well, and it's small and light.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
thanks miloblithe

yes I come across the 50mm lens a lot on the forums :) It's not much of an investment, so I can look at that. How would you recommend the 20D body against the 400D/Rebel XTi body?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Or if he's tired of missed shots....

Newer P&S cameras will go from live view or half-press to picture in tenths to hundredths of seconds, he says he's not interested in shooting as a hobby and in my experience that means after the newness wears off, he'll be looking for something he can carry around unobtrusively. YMMV.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
thanks miloblithe

yes I come across the 50mm lens a lot on the forums :) It's not much of an investment, so I can look at that. How would you recommend the 20D body against the 400D/Rebel XTi body?

Well, I bought the XTi. As I see it (and there are no doubt other factors):

Recommending 20D:
bigger, more ergonomic, more durable body and internals (albeit used)
bigger viewfinder
ISO 3200 (and presumably less noise at 1600)
5 fps and 1/8000 shutter speed (probably not important)
somewhat more control (like ability to set white balance by degrees Kelvin)

Recommending XTi:
new, not used
sensor cleaning shake (seems to work, to me)
10 MP (no biggie)
2.5" LCD vrs 1.8"
smaller and lighter (but less comfy)

On a tight budget, I'd rather get the XTi and not have to worry about used camera issues. Spend the apparently extra $130 on the 50mm f/1.8 and, um, something else.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Yeah I know... this is an ancient thread!! But just wanted to share my joy with everyone who gave their inputs :)

Soon after I raised this thread, I lost my lovely little DSC-H5 :( I left it on a damn plane!!

Ever since I was thinking and thinking and thinking, and when the prices of D40 came down to below 500$, there was no thinking!! I went ahead and bought it!! Really happy with the camera.... The quality of the pictures output by the camera are waaay beyond what my H5 did and boy does it feel good in my hands :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.