Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
A friend working at Apple customer care is offering to replace my 2017 base model mbp with a new one free of charge, under the battery replacement program (w/ the excuse that they are out of batteries, while mine doesn't have any battery issues). Although I do not have any problems at the moment with the one I have (which has had service and replaced defected parts in the past year). Considering the risk I'd be taking of ending up with a defected one or problematic keyboard vs the benefit of having a new one which might extend the life of my laptop or delay the occurrence of a probable fault, what would you do?

PS: my warranty will expire in 2 months, this swap won't extend my battery and if they do not have the base model, I might end up with a touch bar model.

I am kind of confused because I do not want to end up with another laptop, which will experience, other USB, speaker and/or keyboard issues after 3 months and cost me $600 repair. The dilemma is the swap might also save me from such a probable occurrence, or at least delay it.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Your device is soon to run out of warranty. Any issue arising after that will cost you. The replacement from Apple is going to be a brand new device and will have a whole years worth of warranty + consumer laws if Applicable. If the keyboard thing etc becomes a big deal, i would be confident that Apple may release a Repair Program which may cover future issues. Youre going to get a fresh new mac with feature upgrades and spec upgrades and should be expected to last as long as you would expect a new product to last.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Your device is soon to run out of warranty. Any issue arising after that will cost you. The replacement from Apple is going to be a brand new device and will have a whole years worth of warranty + consumer laws if Applicable. If the keyboard thing etc becomes a big deal, i would be confident that Apple may release a Repair Program which may cover future issues. Youre going to get a fresh new mac with feature upgrades and spec upgrades and should be expected to last as long as you would expect a new product to last.
Please re-read my original post. I won't get an extra year of warranty and I am not getting any spec upgrade...

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Please re-read my original post. I won't get an extra year of warranty and I am not getting any spec upgrade...

Is this offer from AppleCare?

All replacements get shipped from the Apple online store. Thus having its own warranty as if it was brought as new. You may have no have purchased the device but Apple offered it as an appeasement. A new product comes with a year warranty.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Is this offer from AppleCare?

All replacements get shipped from the Apple online store. Thus having its own warranty as if it was brought as new. You may have no have purchased the device but Apple offered it as an appeasement. A new product comes with a year warranty.
No, This is FriendCare ;)

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
I am kind of confused because I do not want to end up with another laptop, which will experience, other USB, speaker and/or keyboard issues after 3 months and cost me $600 repair.

If you end up getting a new $2,000 Mac for free or whatever the retail is and you end up with repair costs 3 months or whenever down the road, then that is what is called karma my friend. Just because you have a friend who works for Apple doesn’t make it right for either of you to do what you’re doing. Everyone else has to pay using their hard earned money, why shouldn’t you?

No, This is FriendCare ;)

No, this is stealing.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
And your replacement might as well fail within 2 months of having it.
As others have said this is fraud. I do not complain about friends helping each other when there is an issue, but this is just scamming the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattguy10

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Might be worth it, I mean if your friend is offering this sort of stuff then they probably won't be able to offer this exclusive service for very long...

Wise to turn it down, don't get your personal stuff involved in someone else's scam.

Reactions: Sebastian79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.