Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
Hello, I have iPad Pro (2018) 12.9 w/ white magic keyboard + Apple Pencil, and my use case is as below -

1) Safari.

2) Notability/Goodnotes for note taking and reading PDF (Pure academia)

3) I most absolutely need a 12.9 screen for the larger canvas for writing notes to mimic the size of the A4 paper. Please don't recommend 10th Gen or Air or even 11"

Things I don't do on my iPad -

1) No video/photo shooting and editing.

2) Not going to use w/ ASD as an external monitor.

3) No gaming at all.

4) No digital art.

5) No video streaming on iPad (NF, HBO, Prime video etc)

Do you think I should have any benefit from a Mini-Led, and updated M2 processor? I do all the laptop stuff on M1 Pro 16" and M1 Mac Mini + ASD.

I am outside the US, and the prices have painfully increased, and while I write this I know, this upgrade is not for me, but the FOMO is real. When M1 came, I really wanted that, but I waited for the next update hoping it would be a re-design (maybe Dynamic Island), but nothing happened in terms of re-design, and now 14" and 16" rumors are out, but lately most of the rumors were not true. So, it feels like maybe Apple won't ever release a 14" or 16" iPad ever, or at least maybe not in like 3 years or so.

Everyone is so eager about the 16" iPad (including me), but the Information website article also mentioned that Apple may cancel this project altogether, but it seems like everyone is ignoring that fact, and assuming that it's 100% set in stone that we'll be getting iPad 16" Q4 2023.

How sure are you guys about the 14" and 16" iPad, and should I get an M2 iPad Pro or stick w/ 2018.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I think you would notice a much better screen and not sure if the 2018 had promotion.
Yes, it did have ProMotion. I would argue that many people would find the bloom of the current iPad Pro's quite disturbing especially with black backgrounds.

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
If I were in your shoes I’d wait for the redesign in 23/24. There’s nothing in your use case which suggests your experience would drastically change with an M1 or M2 model.
Hello mate. I always liked reading your insights over various posts on this forum. Thanks for contributing.

• Love
Reactions: BhaveshUK

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
Hello, I have iPad Pro (2018) 12.9 w/ white magic keyboard + Apple Pencil, and my use case is as below -

3) No gaming at all.

4) No digital art.

No, dont do it, dont give Apple money for your uses cases since you dont use ProRaw/prores or video editing, no drawing or not even gaming since i heard that can take an advantage as well

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I just upgraded from the 2018 12.9” iPad Pro to the new M2 yesterday. I do more than you with my iPad because I do a lot of classes and discussions on zoom, i stream (too much) video, and I do some digital art. I could easily have used my old iPad for a few more years and the only reason I upgraded now was because my son’s 9.7 inch pro is starting to show its age at 6 or 7 years. He now has my old one which should be just fine for a few more years.

I’m in the camp that believes larger is better when it comes to iPads so he might get this one soon if there’s a larger iPad available in a year or 2.

Reactions: NewUsername

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019

1) Safari.

2) Notability/Goodnotes for note taking and reading PDF (Pure academia)

3) I most absolutely need a 12.9 screen for the larger canvas for writing notes to mimic the size of the A4 paper. Please don't recommend 10th Gen or Air or even 11"

3) No gaming at all.

4) No digital art.

Do you think I should have any benefit from a Mini-Led, and updated M2 processor? I do all the laptop stuff on M1 Pro 16" and M1 Mac Mini + ASD.

I am outside the US, and the prices have painfully increased, and while I write this I know, this upgrade is not for me, but the FOMO is real. When M1 came, I really wanted that, but I waited for the next update hoping it would be a re-design (maybe Dynamic Island), but nothing happened in terms of re-design, and now 14" and 16" rumors are out, but lately most of the rumors were not true. So, it feels like maybe Apple won't ever release a 14" or 16" iPad ever, or at least maybe not in like 3 years or so.

Everyone is so eager about the 16" iPad (including me), but the Information website article also mentioned that Apple may cancel this project altogether, but it seems like everyone is ignoring that fact, and assuming that it's 100% set in stone that we'll be getting iPad 16" Q4 2023.

How sure are you guys about the 14" and 16" iPad, and should I get an M2 iPad Pro or stick w/ 2018.
You can go to Apple.com -> iPad -> Compare and then compare the 3rd gen and 6th gen iPad Pro.

My personal advice is that there is no reason to upgrade. On paper, there are differences, like a faster CPU (M2 vs. A12X), faster wifi (Wifi 6E vs. Wifi 5), Mini LED, a better camera, LiDAR scanner, etc. However, with your usage case (and most people’s usage case!) you’re unlikely to notice any of these improvements. Just keep enjoying your current iPad until there is a more substantial update.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I also own a 2018 12.9" and don't see a NEED to upgrade. but it'd be "nice to have" simply because I'd like to view HDR content during my lunch time.

If I were truly desperate to upgrade I'd rather just buy a used M1 12.9" iPad, or just be patient and wait.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
The only reasons to upgrade would be for the better screen and M series processor.

The better screen is good for
- photo editing
- video streaming
- gaming

The better processor is good for gaming (the A12X can handle most anything else).

If you constantly switch between several apps then the RAM upgrade could be useful.

If your use case doesn’t involve any of those, stick with what you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.