Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Currently running Catalina on a MBP 2019 with the intent to migrate to an M1 Air very soon. Should I upgrade my Catalina MBP to Big Sur before doing Migration Assistant to the new M1 or will Migration Assistant on the M1 work ok moving data from a Catalina machine?

Reactions: PaulaG

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
No need to do that.

I have a 2012 Catalina Mini and it migrated eventually into the new M1 Mini.

All my apps and files were successfully transferred - there were some "intel apps" that did not work but that's because the M1 is not Intel.....

Just a bit frustrating on the transfer I found - startup screen data transfer didn't work, wireless sees each other but no go, Migration Assistant with wired network - no go, and for me the only way it worked was a TB3-TB2 adapter w/ Thunderbolt cable to make the physical connection.\

You may want to be ready with a USB-C cable between your devices instead of relying on wireless or wired network transfer...

Reactions: chelsel

Albatrossflyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
First... Are ALL your programs BigSur compatible? I have and use multiple programs that are not yet compatible with BigSur. This is not an issue if they will run under Rosetta2 or not on a M1 machine. They will not run under BigSur on an intel machine.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I just did the data migration and a lot of 3rd party non native programs I run (Microsoft Office 2019, Adobe Acrobat DC, Photoshop, Chrome extensions & addons) and they will open using Rosetta2.

Albatrossflyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I have no idea... I have lots of third party apps. Is there a way to check before upgrading?
I've just been checking with the App developers to see if my Apps are. I don't know if there's a compatibility website somewhere that collates this kind of info. Carbon Copy Cloner recently said to hold off on upgrading to BigSur until they resolve some problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.