Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dban23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice about upgrading my Mac I was hoping somebody might be able to help with....

I currently have an old 2015 Macbook Pro, here's the spec:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Apple SSD 250GB

and I'm thinking of selling it for a new MacBook Air, spec below:
Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU

As context, I mainly use my mac for basic web browsing, Google Drive based docs, and the occasional entry level work in FCPX (HD, not 4K), Photoshop and Indesign. Essentially Ive gone from a videographer to a more (sadly boring) management role so I think my Mac can maybe afford to adapt.

However... I wanted to check how capable the new Macbook Air was of the software I listed as I would hate to start using them and the loading times to take ages.

So I guess my questions are...
1. how much less/more powerful is Macbook Air than my current Macbook Pro
2. should I update the RAM from 8GB to 16GB?

Many thanks in advance - and happy new year!
Dan

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
In terms of rough power the Macbook air will be roughly twice as fast when you compare Geekbench scores. Of course things work a bit differently on M1 chips so there might be software or plugins not working well. But FCPX is very well optimised for Apple M1 and Indesign and Photoshop work well. With video editing in mind I'd choose 16GB.

dban23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
double the speed! feels like a healthy upgrade.
thanks so much, appreciate the info a lot

kang8609

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice about upgrading my Mac I was hoping somebody might be able to help with....

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Apple SSD 250GB

As context, I mainly use my mac for basic web browsing, Google Drive based docs, and the occasional entry level work in FCPX (HD, not 4K), Photoshop and Indesign. Essentially Ive gone from a videographer to a more (sadly boring) management role so I think my Mac can maybe afford to adapt.

However... I wanted to check how capable the new Macbook Air was of the software I listed as I would hate to start using them and the loading times to take ages.

Dan
Both the M1 pro or air would suit your needs! I just came from an (2013 MBP i5, 8gb/256ssd) and upgraded to the m1 air (8gb/256gb) and the speed/battery life is a big improvement!

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
Since you are replacing a MacBook Pro, why not go with the M1 MacBook Pro?

Why would you suggest the pro over the air for his needs? Just because it says “Pro” on the product? It’s widely agreed upon that the slight advantages of the current 13” MBP aren’t really worth the additional cost.

kang8609

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Why would you suggest the pro over the air for his needs? Just because it says “Pro” on the product? It’s widely agreed upon that the slight advantages of the current 13” MBP aren’t really worth the additional cost.
The pro would give you around 2-3 extra hours of battery life and higher sustained performance of heavy task. It's like the same thing as having a sedan vs SUV

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
The pro would give you around 2-3 extra hours of battery life and higher sustained performance of heavy task. It's like the same thing as having a sedan vs SUV
....and what makes you think he needs to spend another $300 for the MBP based on the use case he provided.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Fewer built-in ports, no MagSafe (so that's one of two ports already used up) and if you hard wire to your internet, that's the other one gone. You will need an additional hub / brick for any additional connectivity to peripherals, if they are not Wi-Fi enabled.

Generally speaking in the past, more RAM has always been better (and software manufacturers have always found a reason to use as much RAM as possible when it becomes available) - but based on what you say you do on your Mac, I dunno. I've not seen anything definitive suggesting the price hike is worth it on a M1 Mac. Faster is always attractive, but I've got a 2017 Air (8GB) that does basically what you look to do on a M1. Might I like the occasional iMovie file to Save in, say 3 minutes rather than 5? Probably. Do I care enough to replace the whole Mac? No.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I simply asked a question which may or may not spur the OP into additional research on his preferences and needs vs what is available before he takes the plunge to purchase anything......

That said, he mentions doing some work with video and also still photography, and at times that can be pretty intensive, so that having the extra "oomph" of a MacBook Pro with fan could make a difference. Having 16 GB RAM can also make a difference, too. I am not a professional in the photography world, just an enthusiastic amateur, but a long time ago I learned that it was better to have MORE than what I thought I needed when purchasing a computer and its functions and features.

The "Pro" name affixed to the MBP is certainly not a deciding factor for me in my own purchases -- what really counts is the functionality and features of anything I'm about to plunk down my money on. In the long run, what seems like "more" in the beginning -- both in terms of features, functions and costs -- can turn out in the long run to be a much better decision to have made than going with something which in the beginning sounds perfectly adequate for the job at hand and which well may be until the time comes when there is a challenge that could have been much better met, more easily met, with the machine with additional, stronger features in the first place.

Yes, it costs more in the beginning but one has to view this over the long range, over several years, and what might be needed then that may not be needed now in the way of features and functions. Everyone has to make their own choices and evaluate their own situations in terms of current usage, potential usage in the future, and, yes, of course, budget.

mo5214

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2019
I was in a similar boat with you earlier. MBP 15" 2015 2.8Ghz BTO. But I ended up returning my M1 Air 16 GB/1TB after doing some extensive tests with it.

YMMV. Here's my situation

I found that while the Performance is awesome (GPU is stronger than the R9 M370X). But it doesn't quite cut it yet for serious gaming (4k 60+fps) if I am to roll all my current setup into one machine yet, as that's my long term goal.
I have an Radeon VII eGPU, and a dedicated Windows laptop to game with once lugging around eGPU dock got annoying.

Compatibility wise, I felt like it's not quite there yet as a main machine.
Big Sur and the locked-down nature of it (Signed System Volume, signed macOS install, loss of iOS app execution if security is reduced, Windows situation, etc.) annoy me to no end. This would take a while for me to get to terms with it :/

All my accessories are still from 2015 and older. A lot of USB-A devices and magsafe chargers.

I'm still on Mojave as my main environment. I also realized later that 13" is a little cramped as main machine. (I guess I'm getting older, I cant squint as hard anymore :/)

Portability wise I still have my 11" Air from 2015. That one is small enough for me to use in airplane seat (economy), and stow it behind the seat even. Due to Air being 13" it would be too tall for it to be used comfortably (I fly a lot for work)

Also keep in mind that the M1 Air only have 4100mAH battery (for comparison, MBA 11" 2015 has 5100mAH. It lasts forever due to M1 being efficient, and once you plugged in any peripherals all bets are off as devices takes quite a bit of power.)

If Apple keeps same 98Whr battery in new M1X Pro (or w/e they called their new M1-based Pros) they would last forever, even with devices attached. So I figured I'd wait for that, prepping to live with Big Sure, and the possibility of stronger graphics.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi all

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Apple SSD 250GB

Dan
From what you described, the base MBA will do all you need to do and more. No need to spend extra on RAM, although so many here will try and convince you to overspend just because. RAM use and efficiency is much better with the M1. I think many people treat the M1 like the Intel in that regard and you shoiuldn't.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
@mo5214

Interesting analysis and situation you have there.
Thank you for sharing that.

Even though the M1's are super exciting, it isn't all gravy depending upon the situation (like yours), and I really enjoy reading these different stories.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
From what you described, the base MBA will do all you need to do and more. No need to spend extra on RAM, although so many here will try and convince you to overspend just because. RAM use and efficiency is much better with the M1. I think many people treat the M1 like the Intel in that regard and you shoiuldn't.
In most cases you would be right but editing video uses a lot of ram. Even though ram management is much better on the M1 it's no magic. With bigger projects the ram will fill up. Of course it's workable with the 8GB but if the topicstarter is making longer videos it'll definitely be helpful.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In most cases you would be right but editing video uses a lot of ram. Even though ram management is much better on the M1 it's no magic. With bigger projects the ram will fill up. Of course it's workable with the 8GB but if the topicstarter is making longer videos it'll definitely be helpful.
Valid point. Since the OP stated occasional HD work in Final Cut, I surmised his need would not be ever-growing, especially in 4K. If the OP’s work changes, I agree with you about additional RAM.

mo5214

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2019
@mo5214

Interesting analysis and situation you have there.
Thank you for sharing that.

Even though the M1's are super exciting, it isn't all gravy depending upon the situation (like yours), and I really enjoy reading these different stories.
Pretty sure it will get better once M1X or M2 devices hit the shelves. But for now, it is not an “end all” solution just yet ;) and thanks.

Reactions: Rashy

dban23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
hi all,

thanks so much for all your advice - really appreciate you guys taking the time to offer input.
Happy new year!
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.