Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
I am on Sierra and having no problems except dropping wifi signal. This happens about 8 hours after I've had the computer running, and none of the diagnostics fixes it. Only a restart has helped. This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
High Sierra is really stable. That's what I'm currently using on my 2018 MBP.

Reactions: mj_

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Late '13 iMac and was on High Sierra but finally moved to Mojave a few weeks ago. No problem, very speedy and I would say it is much better at managing RAM usage. I have not had a swap yet since moving to it. The only issue I had was PDF's in preview are now somewhat blurry. Downloaded Foxit PDF and set it as the default reader which solved the blurry PDF issue. Seems like Mojave at the moment is a very solid update.

Reactions: martyjmclean

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
If you are running Mojave supported hardware, then yes, update unless you have a specific reason not to such as a known rare incompatibility (rare). Always backup first.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems."

No one here can do this.
The only way you will ever KNOW that "you could run into problems", is to try upgrading, then... run into them.

Since it's a work computer, and since it's still running well enough, I'd advise:
"Stay where you are" -- at least until Mojave "goes final" (final software update).

By then, 10.15 will be out, so you can start worrying about upgrading to that!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My upgrade was a disaster but now that I'm on Mojave 14.4 it's been really stable. Make sure you have backups of everything.

Reactions: SoCalReviews

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I am on Sierra and having no problems except dropping wifi signal. This happens about 8 hours after I've had the computer running, and none of the diagnostics fixes it. Only a restart has helped. This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems.

Do you have an IT person / department, since this is your work computer? I'd get with your IT folks about the wifi issue first. Then see if they suggest the upgrade.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Late '13 iMac and was on High Sierra but finally moved to Mojave a few weeks ago. No problem, very speedy and I would say it is much better at managing RAM usage. I have not had a swap yet since moving to it. The only issue I had was PDF's in preview are now somewhat blurry. Downloaded Foxit PDF and set it as the default reader which solved the blurry PDF issue. Seems like Mojave at the moment is a very solid update.

Blurry PDF's with Preview App started 3 years ago...

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes and no.

On the one hand, Mojave is now at 10.14.4 which in the past was considered the sweet spot for upgrading your OS. The general rule of thumb was never to upgrade before the .2 or .3 release at which point most bugs and incompatibilities had been ironed out. However, with Mojave Apple has upped the ante and started introducing new fatal flaws with .3 and .4 release that affected some users without actually fixing previously reported bugs.

On the other hand you might not even be affected by these bugs. It depends on your hardware, your peripherals, the software you are running, etc. You might actually benefit from an update without losing any functionality or experiencing any issues. As @Fishrrman said: there's only one way to find out.

Reactions: The Hammer

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Yes and no.

On the one hand, Mojave is now at 10.14.4 which in the past was considered the sweet spot for upgrading your OS. The general rule of thumb was never to upgrade before the .2 or .3 release at which point most bugs and incompatibilities had been ironed out. However, with Mojave Apple has upped the ante and started introducing new fatal flaws with .3 and .4 release that affected some users without actually fixing previously reported bugs.

On the other hand you might not even be affected by these bugs. It depends on your hardware, your peripherals, the software you are running, etc. You might actually benefit from an update without losing any functionality or experiencing any issues. As @Fishrrman said: there's only one way to find out.
is there rollback if there issues? i hate to brick my macmini LOL

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
No, there is no official rollback. Apple doesn't believe in going back, and it's been company policy for many years that newer is better by default simply because it's newer.

The only way is to wipe your Mac completely and restore it from your last non-Mojave backup.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
No! No! No! Mojave is a train-wreck. Has been since day one. Dark Mode is not worth all the hassle. So many problems. Memory issues with Dock (currently eating up 700 MB after restart with nothing open), icons never having loaded properly, constant spinning beachball for apps which were fine before, etc. Utterly awful OS. Worst ever, and I’ve been on OS since Tiger. I lived through 6 months of no internet on my main machine with Yosemite. But Mojave is a piece of crap. And it will not be fixed now. Wait until Catalina, and then wait some more. Do not upgrade on day one. Let the eager-beavers on here screw themselves over. Wait until the 3rd iteration, by which time there should be a hack to resurrect iTunes. Stay on Sierra. I wish I had. Of course, you could just buy a new watch strap.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I am on Sierra... This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems.

Critical security update support for Sierra will be ending after Catalina is released. Support for 32 bit applications is being dropped with Catalina. IMO Catalina is going to be the release we should be worried about.

Mojave is ok. I like having the extended critical security updates and driver support which will extend two years after the Catalina release. It has been fairly stable for all of the my 2012 Macs that I upgraded but you might find it will cause a slight drop in performance compared to Sierra.

High Sierra is still running on my 2011 Mac Mini and it doesn't seem too different from Sierra while seeming to be a little snappier performance wise than Mojave. The past issues with High Sierra involved the conversion of SSD drives from HFS+ to APFS. Whatever you decide to do in the future I would recommend doing a full backup before upgrading MacOS.

Last edited:

appleguy2019

Suspended
Jul 12, 2019
Illinois
Wait until the 3rd iteration, by which time there should be a hack to resurrect iTunes.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to resurrect iTunes? Me personally, I can't wait for Catalina. I'm sick of iTunes.

I'm also sick of people who are always thinking it was better in the past. Like when everyone was upset that they got rid of the iTunes App Store. For years people clung to Snow Leopard. Then it was Mavericks. Then it was El Capitan. Same with iOS. iOS 7 sucks, stay on 6. Then it was no, 11 sucks, stay on 10. Same with the Anti-Tim/Pro-Steve people who seem to say "Steve wouldn't do that". Or to show my age, when iMovie HD came out and everyone complained so much Apple started letting people download the old version and run them side by side. Or the changes made when FCPX first came out. Going from OS 9 to OS X. Going from PowerPC to Intel. I mean, heck, there is a PowerPC forum on here full of people living in the past. People don't like change and people are nostalgic to a fault and like to forget that the old stuff had problems, they like to forget that and instead put the older software/hardware on a pedestal. It's just maddening.

The one that kills me is that people can get more money for an old iPhone if it's running the original version of iOS. Not for collectors, but for people who seem to think that it runs better or there is some planned obsolescence and that the phones are slower on the newer version of iOS compared to the original release OS. It's all hogwash and incorrect.

Everyone always likes to think they had it better the year before. It both humors me and saddens me. People need to not be such sticks in the mud (and that's not just for tech but for everything) and realize that the "good old days" are always present-day, no matter what. There is no need for reminiscing to the point of saying that what we have now isn't good.

I always run the latest operating system on both macOS and iOS and encourage everyone to do so. I also encourage people to accept change and learn the new way of doing things and not clinging to old habits and comfort zones. And that means that you, return2sendai, need to learn how to use Catalina's independent apps for music, movies/tv, podcasts, etc and kiss iTunes (something that started almost two decades ago) goodbye and not rely on lazy workarounds/hacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.