Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam.chakkal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
I currently have a Series 5 watch and it start to show its age and sometimes I need to charge twice in day. I always keep the always-on display off as the battery struggles heavily. Should I upgrade to Ultra 2 or stay with Series 5 for another year? Any suggestions?

sam.chakkal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
I have pre-order Ultra 2 but I was thinking of cancelling it so I thought I should ask for recommendation

yepp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2018
I would say, don’t do it. Wait another year. If rumors are correct, a big update is coming next year. Apple just announced shiny new products and we are all excited about it right now. Wait a few weeks and see before making a decision.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Hmm I'm surprised. I've been using a watch 4 since 2019 and the battery life still works well for me, but it is slow. And that double finger tap looks so cool!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Having to charge one or twice a day is kinda of a hassle. You Series 5 has served you well but time to upgrade!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would say, don’t do it. Wait another year. If rumors are correct, a big update is coming next year. Apple just announced shiny new products and we are all excited about it right now. Wait a few weeks and see before making a decision.
Why would the ultra get a big update next year when the watch design itself is still new.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I have pre-order Ultra 2 but I was thinking of cancelling it so I thought I should ask for recommendation

As an owner of an Apple Watch Ultra 1, I can honestly say that the best benefit I enjoy about it is the longer battery life – there are many other aspects, but this is the key for me.

With the price being considerably higher, I'm also going to break the cycle of upgrading my Apple Watch probably too regularly.

The maximum time I have owned an Apple Watch prior to this is about 18 months and I often upgraded annually.

I plan to keep this one for another two years (so three in total).

I see others have said to wait because there may be an update, but I've never agreed with that POV for technology as there's always an update and if you don't jump in at some point, you miss out.

So I would say, providing it makes sense for you financially, go for it!

sam.chakkal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
As an owner of an Apple Watch Ultra 1, I can honestly say that the best benefit I enjoy about it is the longer battery life – there are many other aspects, but this is the key for me.

With the price being considerably higher, I'm also going to break the cycle of upgrading my Apple Watch probably too regularly.

The maximum time I have owned an Apple Watch prior to this is about 18 months and I often upgraded annually.

I plan to keep this one for another two years (so three in total).

I see others have said to wait because there may be an update, but I've never agreed with that POV for technology as there's always an update and if you don't jump in at some point, you miss out.

So I would say, providing it makes sense for you financially, go for it!
You nailed it. I was thinking the same before placing the order

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Since your series 5 watch battery has been struggling and making you turn off your always on display feature, I suggest you upgrade if possible.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Alternatively, just get a new battery and see if the rumors that next year's model will be a significant update turn out to be true. I doubt it somehow, these speculations happen every year followed by disappointment. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.