Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So I'm pretty new to photography, as some of you who have seen my recent posts may know. Now, in my limited experience shooting with my newly acquired D50 with 18-55mm kit lens, I've already noticed a number of occasions where my kit lens simply did not offer the range i need to get the shots i want... (ie. closeup of birds/insects, etc.).

Having read a fair bit on this forum and dpreview... some people seem to be of the opinion that new photographers should stick with the kit lens for a while until they're more acquainted with photography and what they really need from a new lens.

My question is whether I should wait a while or if I should go ahead and get the 55-200mm vr? My problem with this is that I have already missed opportunities for shots due to the lack of a longer zoom. The longer i go without one, the more shot opportunities are going to be missed. Am i likely to discover something down the road that would make me think that my purchase of the 55-200 vr would be a mistake (eventhough it is only CAD$300)?

Thanks guys

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Sounds like a great inexpensive lens. I kind of wish the Canon camp had something like this.

If, down the road, you find that you really need a telephoto zoom that's got a wider aperture or longer range or is simply more durable, you can always sell this lens. Lenses tend to have good resale value if they are in good shape.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
If you can afford it, why not? Its not a terribly expensive lens and reviews have been pretty good. Why do you think it could be a mistake? You seem to already be regretting missed shots. Its a pretty good value for the price, especially now since they've made it VR. To you comment about people sticking with the kit lens until you know what you need.. seems you know you need a longer lens to get more of the shots you want :) . I'd suggest you just pull the trigger and get it, I don't think you'll regret it. I owned the non VR one when I first started out and that produced some nice pictures.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Absolutely get it. Even though you're new to photography, a bigger reach is always nice and it's not like you're paying $2000 for a pro-quality lens... even if you only use this one occasionally it'll still end up being worth it. You've realised that you need something more than the 55mm, and you're doing your research. Buy it and don't regret it.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
After having had a chance to use mine in the field for a bit, I'd say go ahead and get it.

Its a great value, and allows you to expand your repertoire without breaking the bank -- as you get more experienced you'll get a better idea of what you want, and can decide if you want/need something else.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Buy it! This is a terrific bargain and it will expand your photographic horizons immediately. The advice to "stick with the kit lens..." well, I disagree with that. One reason for buying a DSLR in the first place is to have the wonderful flexibility inherent in being able to change lenses to meet specific shooting situations, eh?

Using a 55-200mm lens is not that different from using the 18-55mm kit lens. The difference is in the focal length! Sure, probably right now you're not ready for handling a 600mm lens on a Wimberley II gimbal head and that's fine. Go with the 55-200mm and see what neat images you can shoot! Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.