Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
OK, I shoot RAW on my K100D, blah, blah, blah...
You all know the story. Well, PSE came in the mail yesterday, and guess what? Bridge is real quality software! So is Camera Raw! Well, other than the fact I that I didn't think .PEF was supported. Well, I happened to stumble on the 3.6 update, and snap! K100D's files are wonderful. Just last night, I took all of my PEFs, and turned them into DNGs (with PEF embedded). Now that PEFs work just fine, I won't need to go through all of this anymore. So, should I use PEF, DNG, or DNG with embedded PEF?

FWIW:
DNG(losslessly compressed)=5.9 MB
PEF=10.1 MB
DNG with PEF embedded=14.8 MB

Thanks,
wmmk

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
OK, I shoot RAW on my K100D, blah, blah, blah...
You all know the story. Well, PSE came in the mail yesterday, and guess what? Bridge is real quality software! So is Camera Raw! Well, other than the fact I that I didn't think .PEF was supported. Well, I happened to stumble on the 3.6 update, and snap! K100D's files are wonderful. Just last night, I took all of my PEFs, and turned them into DNGs (with PEF embedded). Now that PEFs work just fine, I won't need to go through all of this anymore. So, should I use PEF, DNG, or DNG with embedded PEF?

FWIW:
DNG(losslessly compressed)=5.9 MB
PEF=10.1 MB
DNG with PEF embedded=14.8 MB

Thanks,
wmmk
May as well shoot at DNG... ;)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
AFAIK, the K100D can't shoot DNG. Is there any reason I should want the .PEFs backed up, or is DNG adequate enough as an archive? thanks, wmmk
Jeez, it's way to late. I read K10D, and I KNEW you had a K100D, I was just being way too tired. A DNG should be adequate enough as long as you have the original straight off, not edited all the way an then a DNG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.