Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gluc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
My messages app is acting up a lot so I was going to factory reset my phone and use my backup from icloud. However, when I look at my icloud storage its only listed as 32gb but my actual phone storage is using 53gb. I also don't see my messages listed as backed up in icloud.

Shouldnt the two storage amounts match up if icloud is backing up my phone?

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
My messages app is acting up a lot so I was going to factory reset my phone and use my backup from icloud. However, when I look at my icloud storage its only listed as 32gb but my actual phone storage is using 53gb. I also don't see my messages listed as backed up in icloud.

Shouldnt the two storage amounts match up if icloud is backing up my phone?

iCloud is for photos,videos and documents,when it comes to messages,I usually erase the ones I don't need.

iCloud can be used for all these things (photos, videos, documents, messages, backups). But to answer your questions:

1. The storage amount in iCloud does not have to be the same amount as your phone. It does not save a complete 100% copy of your phone. As Apple clearly states on it's website: "Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backup only include information and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include the information already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, shared photos, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

2. You do not see messages listed in iCloud. Even though Apple states they are included in your backup, I already lost all my messages because they were somehow not included in my backup. Apple states "iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)".
With iOS11 however, Apple moves your messages to iCloud, so that they are synced between iOS and macOS devices. Starting this September, you probably won't need to worry about losing your messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.