Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CartoonChess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Seoul
I ordered the base model MacBook Pro 13" with upgraded SSD and RAM about one week ago. I was starting to feel I maybe bought something of a lemon—seeing things like a spontaneous shutdown, a Safari keyboard shortcut only intermittently working, mute apparently toggling itself, occasional app freezes, etc.—but couldn't find any pattern to make me believe it might not be coincidental software issues, or possibly from an external HDD working hard.

Now Mail is consistently showing unusual graphical behaviour in the message list: Mail graphical glitch (video). (Note: Empty rectangles added to censor personal data; they are not part of the problem.)

As I move about the message list with the arrow keys, the list glitches in strange ways. This happened in another folder as well. I can't find anyone else talking about this online, so I'm looking for opinions. Thanks!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
You can return it with no questions asked if you're within those 14 days.

In terms of troubleshooting, Apple would ask you if you restored from a Time Machine backup when you set it up (in case you've created/migrated a problem in doing so)? Have you reset the SMC? Run disk utility and do First Aid? Do a clean install...

If you can't be bothered with any of those things, just return it ?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I ordered the base model MacBook Pro 13" with upgraded SSD and RAM about one week ago. I was starting to feel I maybe bought something of a lemon—seeing things like a spontaneous shutdown, a Safari keyboard shortcut only intermittently working, mute apparently toggling itself, occasional app freezes, etc.—but couldn't find any pattern to make me believe it might not be coincidental software issues, or possibly from an external HDD working hard.

Now Mail is consistently showing unusual graphical behaviour in the message list: Mail graphical glitch (video). (Note: Empty rectangles added to censor personal data; they are not part of the problem.)

As I move about the message list with the arrow keys, the list glitches in strange ways. This happened in another folder as well. I can't find anyone else talking about this online, so I'm looking for opinions. Thanks!

I would exchange it, this is not normal. One thing you can try if you want is a PRAM reset. It usually fixes most Mac issues. Usually you turn the computer off, hold command + option + P + R and while holding those in (and keeping them held in), turn the computer on. The computer will reboot once, startup again, then reboot again. After the second reboot you can release the keys. If that solves your issues then it's probably safe to hang onto but honestly I'd just exchange it anyway.

Reactions: Peadogie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.