Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heathcliff4869

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
What's poppin'?

So as an owner of an iPhone 8 I asked myself if I was going to upgrade to the next year's iPhones or stick with it till 2021 and upgrade then. The iPhone 8 is still pretty fast, I haven't experienced any performance issues so far and I think I can get through 2020 easily. But I do somehow get the urge for an upgrade. I am of course planning to not buy one of the 2020 iPhones but I can't tell what's going to happen in the future.

What are your thoughts on this? Quick video about this matter:

Peace!​

Reactions: arfbsantoso

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
What's poppin'?

So as an owner of an iPhone 8 I asked myself if I was going to upgrade to the next year's iPhones or stick with it till 2021 and upgrade then. The iPhone 8 is still pretty fast, I haven't experienced any performance issues so far and I think I can get through 2020 easily. But I do somehow get the urge for an upgrade. I am of course planning to not buy one of the 2020 iPhones but I can't tell what's going to happen in the future.

Peace!​

You should wait until the 2025 iPhones.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I just went and ordered the 11 since the apple store couldn't replace the battery on my X that fails diagnostic. I don't want to worry about it failing at some inopportune time, and there is still a $400 trade in for my model. Went with the 11 to see how the less expensive model works, it gets band 71, and can allow me to skip this upcoming fall if I want.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I just went and ordered the 11 since the apple store couldn't replace the battery on my X that fails diagnostic. I don't want to worry about it failing at some inopportune time, and there is still a $400 trade in for my model. Went with the 11 to see how the less expensive model works, it gets band 71, and can allow me to skip this upcoming fall if I want.

75-150% better battery life along with your upgrade. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
What's poppin'?

Peace!​

This is a stupid post. All the other OP’s posts are the same way with little clickbait videos.

Mike Perry99

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2019
Personally I wouldn’t spend money on an iPhone ever again... not since I’ve seen the brighter side (Android - Huawei Mate 20 Pro to be precise) and am now 100% comfortable with the Operating System! And now I’m enjoying the perks that you get (supercharge, reverse wireless charging, stunning wide angle photography etc.) that you simply just don’t see in iPhones or have to spend over £1,000 to get. My “unbiased“ advice? Get a Huawei mate 20 pro for now (even if its secondhand - you can pick one up for around £300 I believe!) and see how it goes! If you really don’t get on with it, go back to an iPhone! But I can almost guarantee that anyone who gives an android (preferably a huawei) handset a good chance to prove its colours, wont be let down! And hey - who can say no to a foldable phone If it’s an option! And for a similar price to the new iPhones (understandably a tad more expensive) the huawei mate X is due to drop (location depending) mid-next year which gives you just enough time to get to grips with / enjoy your huawei mate 20 pro before deciding your verdict!

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The iPhone 11 Pro Max is the phone to get because:
1. I predict a price increase for the iPhone 12
2. iPhone 12 still has a notch
3. iPhone 12 might have worse battery if it will feature 120hz display (or Apple creates a thicker phone)

So waiting for the iPhone 12 is not worth it (atleast to me).

But if you want to have the latest and greatest, perhaps consider buying the Samsung Galaxy S11 which will launch in March 2020 next to your current iPhone. It will probably have features that the iPhone 18 will lack considering how Apple is always behind Android phones.

Reactions: cosmo811

Alaxlmartin

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2018
No, the iPhone 11 Pro Max is the phone to get. This is because:
3. iPhone 12 might have worse battery if it will feature 120hz display (or Apple creates a thicker phone)

I have the 11 Pro Max

I think the portless ones in 2021 are the ones to get. 120 hz isn’t rock solid. Rumors are battery will go up 5%. Sources say prices go up $100.

Heathcliff4869

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019

But if you want to have the latest and greatest, perhaps consider buying the Samsung Galaxy S11 which will launch in March 2020 next to your current iPhone. It will probably have features that the iPhone 18 will lack considering how Apple is always behind Android phones.

Even though Apple is not always up to date on new innovations, the thing I like about Apple is the continuous support of your device even after several years. It's shocking to see that the Samsung Galaxy S8 as an example will not receive Android 10 because Samsung already stopped supporting it. This thing does not happen with Apple as you can have the iPhone SE and still get the latest iOS.

Btw getting an iPhone 11 Pro is also an option but I'd rather go for the normal size than the Max option because I want to hold my phone properly with one hand.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
What's poppin'?

Peace!​
Why not to wait for the 2022 then ? ?

Seriously, the iPhone 8 with its 2 Gb will start to show its age, next year, so I think the 2020 model will be a great upgrade.

cosmo811

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Cambridge, UK

I agree with this. The rumours definitely seem to point to a 90/120hz display on the iPhone 12. Which is great, unless you care about battery life. Many of the Pixel 4's issues came from its 90hz screen. On the other hand, the OnePlus 7T has a 90Hz screen and battery life doesn't appear to be a problem. Neither of them have the incredible battery life of the iPhone 11/Pro/Max though, and at least for me I'd rather have the better battery life.

Also, I think overall it's best to just purchase the phone outright, get a good SIM only plan, and then once the rumours start condensing next year decide whether to sell your phone at a good price and pay a small amount to upgrade.

Even though Apple is not always up to date on new innovations, the thing I like about Apple is the continuous support of your device even after several years. It's shocking to see that the Samsung Galaxy S8 as an example will not receive Android 10 because Samsung already stopped supporting it. This thing does not happen with Apple as you can have the iPhone SE and still get the latest iOS.

Btw getting an iPhone 11 Pro is also an option but I'd rather go for the normal size than the Max option because I want to hold my phone properly with one hand.

I might be misreading your post, but the 11 Pro is noticeably smaller than the 'normal size' 11.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
For those of you thinking about iPhone 12 prices and display refresh rates, do not forget that there were also rumours suggesting that Apple will stop including their EarPods with iPhone’s (so a slightly lower price) and that higher display refresh rate could be dynamic, i.e. if we go for low intensity graphics tasks, it will stay as low as now, at 60. Realistically, only hard-core iPhone gamers and video-editors need to worry about that refresh rate’s impact in battery life.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Personally I wouldn’t spend money on an iPhone ever again... not since I’ve seen the brighter side (Android - Huawei Mate 20 Pro to be precise) and am now 100% comfortable with the Operating System! And now I’m enjoying the perks that you get (supercharge, reverse wireless charging, stunning wide angle photography etc.) that you simply just don’t see in iPhones or have to spend over £1,000 to get. My “unbiased“ advice? Get a Huawei mate 20 pro for now (even if its secondhand - you can pick one up for around £300 I believe!) and see how it goes! If you really don’t get on with it, go back to an iPhone! But I can almost guarantee that anyone who gives an android (preferably a huawei) handset a good chance to prove its colours, wont be let down! And hey - who can say no to a foldable phone If it’s an option! And for a similar price to the new iPhones (understandably a tad more expensive) the huawei mate X is due to drop (location depending) mid-next year which gives you just enough time to get to grips with / enjoy your huawei mate 20 pro before deciding your verdict!

I can't say I would recommend Huawei, but I would like to have a secondary device, preferably an Android.

Since Samsung is pushing out updates faster now, I'd actually consider them again. Or One Plus.

I do think it would help a lot of us if we used multiple devices more often. I'm certainly not opposed. However, as has been mentioned several times... I do have a lot invested in the Apple Ecosystem.

If at some point in the future I can alternate and run dual setups I'd like to do that, PC included.
[automerge]1577409588[/automerge]

If I hold out this year, I can't see buying another iPhone without 5G, even though it's not necessary. So basically if you don't buy this year you get 5G by default.

The 11 Pro Max is sweet to be sure, but not sweet enough if you have the Xs Max.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
There was one major upgrade since 8, it was X. Subsequent models were iterative upgrades but 2020 is rumored to finally bring new features and redesign.

Reactions: ACB 123

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For those of you thinking about iPhone 12 prices and display refresh rates, do not forget that there were also rumours suggesting that Apple will stop including their EarPods with iPhone’s (so a slightly lower price) and that higher display refresh rate could be dynamic, i.e. if we go for low intensity graphics tasks, it will stay as low as now, at 60. Realistically, only hard-core iPhone gamers and video-editors need to worry about that refresh rate’s impact in battery life.

I agree and personally think Apple doesn’t need to include a brick charger/EarPods anymore. It probably would lower the cost of the iPhone marginally, but more than anything, almost every household that probably already has an iPhone, has at least two cables and wired EarPods laying around.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What's poppin'?

Peace!​

If you don't need the phone now, wait.

Reactions: Heathcliff4869
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.