Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
hey guys, I've just gotten hands on the new MacBook pro about 2 weeks ago and I'm not quite sure if I should purchase apple care for it, any suggestions?

Reactions: jagooch

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You will get multiple views on this.

It all comes down to (assuming something broke):
1.Can you afford to buy a new one, or get it repaired after 12 months
2.Would your home insurance cover it
2.Will it be out and about of the house a lot (subject to dropping)

Then on the other hand, it could be fine for years.
It's like any insurance, it's there for piece of mind.

I have always got AC on my MacPro, but not iPhone/iPad.
But then have never needed to use it.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I got it once for my Apple Watch, but in hindsight. For me I don't feel I need it. But if your computer or mobile device is subject to potential damage I would then get AC.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
For businesses - yes

For personal use - depends. How careful are you with your devices? If you have a bad habit or have a tendency to damage devices, the extra insurance that AppleCare+ provides might be worth it.

For me personally, I am very careful with my devices and seldom do I tend to drop them or break them. For me, AppleCare+ isn't worth it.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
I bought Apple Care when I read about high swap disk usage. Just in case. I do not know if this is still an issue. Anyone?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I'm not quite sure if I should purchase apple care
An alternative is to self-insure. Stick some money, up to the full value of a replacement, in a savings account. Use the money if you lose or damage your Mac. If nothing happens to your Mac during its lifespan, you can roll over the money plus whatever earnings have accumulated to self-insure a new machine. Or put the funds towards the purchase of a new computer.

Last edited:

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
For me, it depends on two things: Price and mobility. If it's a desktop, I don't usually bother. If it's a laptop, I do if it's expensive (to me), but don't if it's not (again, to me) and I can afford to replace it if the cost of repair is ridiculous.

Having said that, I've always had rock solid Macs and never needed it.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
As a general rule, the more I spend on the hardware, the more I'm inclined to get Applecare. I have it on my Imac and MBA but not the Iphone.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
As a general rule, the more I spend on the hardware, the more I'm inclined to get Applecare. I have it on my Imac and MBA but not the Iphone.
In my country you cant get Apple Care for iPhones, but you can get Apple Care for Macs and iPads. Not sure why this is…

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I am late to the conversation, but, I say purchase Apple Care.
I do for all my Apple products. Just an added sense of security. After all, these Apple products aren't exact cheap...

Reactions: oikos

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Depends on your usage of the machine. For most of my computers and devices, I don’t get it simply because most of the components in a stationary or pocketable device generally won’t fail until AppleCare would have expired anyway, and I enjoy fixing things myself.

The only two devices I have AppleCare on are my iPad and my MacBook Air. My iPad I use next to my bed for reading st night, and I’ve dropped past ones before while grabbing for them while half asleep, so the fee to get a new screen is worth it. My Air comes with me to my classroom every day. While I am very careful with my stuff, I can’t guarantee that 200 middle schoolers working on building robots that fling things are as careful, so I have AppleCare on it in case something smacks into the screen and spiderwebs it. Plus I got the education discount on it so the pricing wasn’t too bad.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
Had iPhones, watches, Mac's and iPads for many many years now and the only device I would ever consider apple care for is the phone and that is for accidental damage.

The iPads and Mac's are pretty much bomb proof and any hardware fault I have ever had has been covered by apple at no cost. I have even had my entire logic board changed for free in the past.

oikos

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
I get AC on just about every Apple product (desktops, laptops, iPad, iPhones, TimeCapsules, Apple TV, Watch, AirPodsPro). Not just for the hardware insurance/peace of mind, but also for the FREE TECH SUPPOPRT whenever I have a software issue or question. It's very nice to be able to just call Apple up, or go in for a Genius Bar session, whenever I have a question. To me its MORE THAN NICE - even though I've been using and maintaining Macs since 1986, I find the Tech Support ESSENTIAL.

I find that MacBooks usually need at least a battery replacement by 3 years out (loss of capacity, swelling issues, etc). My 2012 Mini and my 2019 iMac have not had any repair issues to date, but I'm still glad I had/have AC for the Tech Support. I try to take the machines in to have a Genius check them out about a month before the AppleCare expires, and sometimes they find problems I didn't even know I had (such as a swollen battery on my 2017 13" MacBookPro a year ago), and the fix is free.

I just had that now-4 year old late 2017 MBP13" (w Touch screen, 4 TB3 ports, 1 TB, 16GB RAM) fall off my lap from the couch on to a hardwood floor when I was trying to pick something else that fell off the side table, and did a lot of damage. It was past AC, but Apple only charged me $600, and they replaced practically the whole machine, back to its 2017 state (was $2500 when new) - replaced cracked screen, mother board, battery, keyboard, memory & storage, all for $600 :). So that was a LOT better than $1500-1900 for a new similarly specified AIR or 13" Pro, for what was about to go from being my #2 machine to #3 (next para.). Luckily I had backed it up just an hour or two before it fell.

I had already ordered and now have a 2021 16" MBP (M1 Pro, 4 TB, 32 GB) to replace the 13" for the couch and occasional travel (the big screen is SO, SO NICE!), and the near-capacity 2017 machine will now become a VERY NICE upgrade to my long-full and outdated bedroom and/or commuting machine (a 2014 11" AIR), for several more years of light use (web research, email).

Going forward, I plan to renew AC+ annually for as long as Apple lets me. The free software support alone makes it worth it to me, and the hardware insurance is a considerable relief to my mind as well. I think it's great that it is now extendable past 3 years. The recent problem MAY have only cost me $100 rather than $600 if I had the extension, but even $600 was quite acceptable.

Reactions: Patrick Piao

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
When I bought my early 2015 MacBook Air, I bought AppleCare largely because of the 24/7 (or close) support on learning to use the Mac and the various apps. Think that was a good five years ago. Thought the support was suppose to end but Apple still takes my calls and answers my questions. Am now getting serious about a new MacBook Air. Am wondering about AppleCare. If Apple will answer the phone without paying for the additional coverage, will be tempted not to get AppleCare. Anyone know what their policy is on continued phone support now? I am afraid to ask Apple!

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Given recent Apple history with MBP build quality, I would definitely get the insurance. I used to be from the camp that says would not buy it -- self insure. I still do not get it for almost everything, like iPads, iPhones, Airpods, etc. -- except for the MBP line. It's a very powerful computer packed in a small chasis. It's portable. Insurance simply makes sense.

By the way, I just got my HP laptop (which I have been happy with) repaired under a similar insurance program -- and the cost of repair far exceeded the cost of the machine new. So, yes, I think it is wise to get it on these expensive laptops devices -- especially for the MBP line given all the recent quality issues and that this is an untested new form factor.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I seldom get AppleCare, basically because I can afford to do without it, and because it gives me lower long term cost and more options. The so-called "peace of mind" is too expensive. So far, I am about $1500 ahead by not getting AppleCare on various products. I have excellent peace of mind having this in my bank account, not Apple's.
Many people also forget about the deductible (up to $299 for MBPs), which needs to be added to the AppleCare cost.
I also prefer to go without AppleCare because I get to decide what to replace a severely damaged product with, rather than Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch and Meuti

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
hey guys, I've just gotten hands on the new MacBook pro about 2 weeks ago and I'm not quite sure if I should purchase apple care for it, any suggestions?
This is a great question. I've always bought it in the past, which means from my first Mac in 2013 to my current 2019 Macbook Pro. However, I've only used it once, and Apple refused to fix the issue which was the well-known AMD 5500M power draw issue, which lead me to buy a new laptop instead.

My case may an outlier, but go into your buying decision with you eyes open. Applecare+ will not guarantee that Apple will fix any issue, even ones that they themselves caused, that you encounter. Also understand that means you'll foot the bill, so if you don't buy insurance, then make sure you self-insure.

"Self-insure" is a term describing keeping enough money on hand to pay for a service that an insurance company might otherwise pay for. That could be a medical procedure, a car repair, house repair, or even an iDevice repair!

Reactions: KaliYoni

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You are buying an extended warranty. Would you buy one for your dishwasher/TV etc, etc?

I currently have 5 working Macs of various ages. I've had 3 different iPhones(as has my wife), and a couple iPods over the years. I've been associated(with work and relatives) with 5 other Macs over the years. None have had AppleCare, and none have needed it.

Reactions: Patrick Piao
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.