Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Come on forum regulars .. show us your photographic patriotism ... we need more entries into this week's contest. The topic is "Americana", anything that represents that which is uniquely American - just in time for the 4th of July weekend.

So search that big database of images, and pick something that represents, to you, anything American. And post it in the wekly contest thread ...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/507831/

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Yeah.. so...

I think the reason why there are so few entries in this week's photo contest is pretty simple to explain... I'd guess that about half of the participants on the Digital Photography forum are probably from countries other than America... so by your selection of theme, you've already eliminated participation from a large number of members... Also, it's a pretty narrow theme... I searched my database for anything that could be considered "Americana" and couldn't really come up with anything...

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder ... before I moved here, I was from New Zealand - and certainly don't have a problem coming up with 'americana' as a theme.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
Here you go, taken on Memorial Day, this year.

Attachments

• 20080525-_MG_1137.jpg
    20080525-_MG_1137.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 62

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I think the reason why there are so few entries in this week's photo contest is pretty simple to explain... I'd guess that about half of the participants on the Digital Photography forum are probably from countries other than America... so by your selection of theme, you've already eliminated participation from a large number of members... Also, it's a pretty narrow theme... I searched my database for anything that could be considered "Americana" and couldn't really come up with anything...

Well, thinking about it... I don't see why people from other countries couldn't participate. Perhaps they could see something in their own country that to them defines "American", be it right or wrong. Seeing as there is a strong American influence around the world, for better or worse. This is speaking from an "artistic" point of view. :)

Edit: Careful not to get us sent to the PRSI forum ;)

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
Yeah.. so...

also..with the current political situation there's alot of people who aren't big fans of their country...=/

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Well, I've got a picture of a fat guy eating a burger, who's only dimly aware that the rest of the world exists. Will that do?

:eek:

No Americana in my photo collection either, me being a non-American. :) Can we have Europecana next week?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Well, I've got a picture of a fat guy eating a burger, who's only dimly aware that the rest of the world exists. Will that do?

HAHA!! Nice Doylem :D

Well, the 4th of July is tomorrow and I'll be roving with my camera. We'll see what I can come up with.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South

Honestly I expected to see more like that. "America" is iconic - but means different things to different people. Personally, I'd like to see more diverse narrative in the photos. The topic does not demand patriotic fervor. So let's see the fat guy eating a burger who's only dimly aware of the rest of the world (in the contest thread of course!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.