Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benmadrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Madrid
Hi, on my old pc I used to use the right-click email photos function a lot, which would shrink the images I had selected and add them as an attachment to a Thunderbird email. I now still use Thunderbird on the Mac, but have no idea how to automate this shrink-photos-to-email function I loved so much on the PC. Anyone know how to do this with the Mac?

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
If the pictures are in your iPhoto album, you can select the picture, choose Share>email which then prompts you to choose small, medium, large or full size.

Alternatively, select the size you want from the selector which appears at the bottom right of the email when you add the photo.

Hope this helps.

benmadrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Madrid
If the pictures are in your iPhoto album, you can select the picture, choose Share>email which then prompts you to choose small, medium, large or full size.

Alternatively, select the size you want from the selector which appears at the bottom right of the email when you add the photo.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I don't want to use iPhoto... and I can't see the selector you mention in the thunderbird email window.

You could try PhotoToolCM (third from the bottom) it adds an option to the contextual menu (i.e. right click, scroll down, photo tool, resize), super easy and free!

http://www.pixture.com/file/ptcm-20.sit (download link)
It will resize the original though too, I would like to leave the original in place and just attach a reduced version to the email automatically...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Mmm, sorry. Thought you were using Thunderbird because you were used to it from your PC. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that but mentioned how it can be done on the Mac. The window I was referring to is in Mail.

happy.buddha

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
New Hampshire
It will resize the original though too, I would like to leave the original in place and just attach a reduced version to the email automatically...

Actually when you select batch resize (even when doing one photo) you can set it up so it saves the resized photo to a separate location and even add a suffix (i.e. small) to it and it leaves the original photo in the original location unharmed.

Picture2.png

benmadrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Madrid
Thanks HB for that, I will give it a try. After lots of fishing online yesterday I have been playing with Adobe's Lightroom which works pretty well at exporting pics to a folder ready to email. It is meant to open them directly as attachements in a t-bird email too but unfortunately that doesn't work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.