Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MidLifeApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Hi all,

my setup is this.

8,1 MacBook Pro with Catalina installed via dosdude1.

iPad generation 3 Pro 12.9.

I have WiFi and Bluetooth on and both are paired to each other, however sidecar does not work.
My thinking is this, the BT card is the default card in the MacBook Pro, but I have a 4.0 on the way. Would anyone be able to clarify if they agree it’s the BT card being to old or am I missing something else!?

cheers,

James.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sidecar need HEVC hardware encoding to work properly. There is no GPU on your MBP can do that.

Catalina is just one of the requirement to have Sidecar, but you still need the required hardware.

Reactions: MidLifeApple

MidLifeApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Sidecar need HEVC hardware encoding to work properly. There is no GPU on your MBP can do that.

Catalina is just one of the requirement to have Sidecar, but you still need the required hardware.

Ahhh ok. Couldn’t find the detailed requirements anywhere. Thanks for that. Got a Mac Pro and iMac to upgrade so will try on them, they both have nvidia cards in them. 7 series.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Ahhh ok. Couldn’t find the detailed requirements anywhere. Thanks for that. Got a Mac Pro and iMac to upgrade so will try on them, they both have nvidia cards in them. 7 series.

I don't think it can work. Nvidia never activate the GPU hardware video engine in any macOS. Also, Kepler series doesn't have HEVC hardware acceleration.

However, you may try to use Sidecar via USB with the following terminal command.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true; open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane

But I still doubt if this can work on your Mac

Reactions: MidLifeApple

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've just learned about Sidecar lol, only to read up that my 2014 MBP is on the blacklist. I'm looking for workarounds but none haven't worked so far, including @h9826790's .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.