Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icezeus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I've done quite a bit of research on this issue and nothing I find helps. I can't get my Strix GTX 970 to work in my Mac Pro 5,1. I'll try to give all info that I can.

I'm on Sierra 10.12.5. I followed everything on macvidcards.com and still have issues.

Installed Cuda 8.0.83 AND the 378.05.05.15f01 web drivers for 10.12.5. I restart as instructed. Once in the OS I switch the Web Driver to Nvidia and shut down. I remove the GT120 and install the GTX970 and start it up. My Mac powers up like it normally would, the led light is on the GTX970 and the fans turn on initially but then shut off. I try all 3 video ports (both DVI and the HDMI) and get nothing after a 5 minute wait. I force shut down, reinstall the GTX120 and notice the web driver is back on OS X default.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Oh yeah, and to power the GTX970, I have 2 Mac mini 6 pin to 6pin cables plugged into a dual female 6pin to 8 pin since my Strix is only a single 8 pin connector.

-Wil-

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Try selecting the Web Driver and rebooting leaving GT120 in your Mac. Does it still reverts to OS X driver?

If yes, reset PRAM (Option+Command+P+R at boot) couple of times. It sounds like you need to clean it.

P.S. Reseting PRAM will revert to OSX drivers, disable SIP, etc... It cleans all boot arguments, so be careful in the future if you have only GTX970 installed and you zap it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.