Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have an early 2009 white Macbook running El Capitan so I want to upgrade to Sierra. I looked at update requirements for Sierra and got "late 2009" for Macbook. Has anybody done this unauthorized upgrade?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks for reply. Your point about the need to get the latest for its own sake being a mistake is well taken. I agree and I do try to stretch all the life I can out of my Macs. This one never was a speed demon and lately it's been quite slow on the web. It is still OK for word processing, text editing, email and other productivity tasks. I definitely got my money's worth (it was an "opened box") out of the little guy and will continue to do so, as it is worth more to me in that role than what I could sell it for.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
My Retina Macbook Pro is running Mavericks and my Late-2009 (unibody) Macbook is running Sierra. The reason is that serious stuff have to be done with compatible OS. I can't keep updating every year just to get a few new gimmicks. Mavericks doesn't get Safari updates anymore, but I'll keep it on my rMBP because Chrome is still compatible.

I would even downgrade to Mountain Lion, but now the only updated browser is Firefox (a good browser for developers, but too slow for daily usage). Mountain Lion is a hardware paradise for old (but still usable) peripherals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.