Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actualdc1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
I've been having a problem with passwords since installing sierra on my mid 2011 mac mini. Several times now, I've had to reset my password (via terminal while booted into recovery mode) after waking from sleep to find my existing password not working.

When I wake from sleep, I'm prompted for my password (system shows my user name and account picture). I enter the password to no avail.

If I then restart the system, I'm prompted for both a username and a password (no account picture shown). Again, unable to login.

I haven't been able to find any mention of this issue online. I tried making a new keychain this afternoon - that might've triggered this most recent lock-out episode. Otherwise, I've been unable to correlate this phenomenon with anything concrete.

I will add that I did a manual migration, which wasn't the most elegant process ever. Not sure if that matters, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks!

actualdc1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
I manually moved my files over from an old drive after doing a clean install of sierra on a new drive (actually, it wasn't a clean install of sierra, it was a clean install of lion upgraded to sierra).

filevault is not enabled.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
But you did create a user account normally? Have you replaced the user library?

actualdc1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Yes - I created a new user account normally. I didn't migrate any library content - only photos, documents, etc.

actualdc1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
It just happened again. It looks like this time it might've been an issue with iCloud. Just before going to sleep I was prompted by the system to reenter my icloud password. Does anyone know of any icloud/system permission issues I might be able to address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.