Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
I was extremely excited to see that Apple has worked to fix the issues with the batter life on the new MacBook Pros, but im seeing no improvement. I downloaded the beta and my MBP is lasting about 4.5 hours. The only things I have done on it in that time are surf the web and listen to music. Now im sad.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you pass alone what machine configuration you have, others may be able to make some suggestions regarding your battery life.

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
If you pass alone what machine configuration you have, others may be able to make some suggestions regarding your battery life.

Late 2016 MBP Touchbar
2.9 i5
8GB Ram
Iris graphics 550

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
What build number is your OS? How's the system uptime? Is reopen windows when logging back in ticked or unticked?
10.2.3 beta
Uptime is slim, i shut her down every day
I typically do check the reopen when logging back in.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I typically do check the reopen when logging back in.

Could you try disabling that and see if it's any better — if not permanently, just for diagnosis purposes? I find it has a tendency to reopen background processes which can suck up battery. :)

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Could you try disabling that and see if it's any better — if not permanently, just for diagnosis purposes? I find it has a tendency to reopen background processes which can suck up battery. :)
Sure, is the only way through the terminal?

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
I was extremely excited to see that Apple has worked to fix the issues with the batter life on the new MacBook Pros, but im seeing no improvement. I downloaded the beta and my MBP is lasting about 4.5 hours. The only things I have done on it in that time are surf the web and listen to music. Now im sad.

Return it and get the new XPS 15. If you need a 15% off coupon let me know..

Papakaliati

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
Thessaloniki

After installing the Beta 4, my MacBook Pro 15 has ridiculously good battery life. With light work seems to be over 12 hours. After almost 1.5 to 2 hours of use (mostly on low light) I am sitting at a ridiculous 92% and 11 hours left.

Also beta 4 fixed the battery leaching while sleeping I used to have.

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
After installing the Beta 4, my MacBook Pro 15 has ridiculously good battery life. With light work seems to be over 12 hours. After almost 1.5 to 2 hours of use (mostly on low light) I am sitting at a ridiculous 92% and 11 hours left.

Also beta 4 fixed the battery leaching while sleeping I used to have.

Well I am hoping it will get better. I only have like 12 cycles on my battery currently.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

It's kind of sad that you can't just plug it in and use it and get the great battery life that you paid your hard-earned money for right from the start. Instead, you have to tell this forum what your configuration is, what you have running in the background, what your first-born's name is, yada yada. I just bought a 2015 MBP 15" refurb, and right out of the box, I'm getting about ten hours of use from the battery. I'm using Photoshop, Office, and surfing the web, and pretty much not paying attention to anything else. I'm just using the damn thing. And I get ten hours. Why can't that be the case with the 2016 model?? Why can't it "just work?" It's perplexing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreyes

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It's kind of sad that you can't just plug it in and use it and get the great battery life that you paid your hard-earned money for right from the start. Instead, you have to tell this forum what your configuration is, what you have running in the background, what your first-born's name is, yada yada. I just bought a 2015 MBP 15" refurb, and right out of the box, I'm getting about ten hours of use from the battery. I'm using Photoshop, Office, and surfing the web, and pretty much not paying attention to anything else. I'm just using the damn thing. And I get ten hours. Why can't that be the case with the 2016 model?? Why can't it "just work?" It's perplexing.

Glad it's working well for you. One reason to bother with the things you mention is that the new machine is plainly better, and will get better battery life too, according to the tests.

Reactions: thesaint024

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016

Only 4 hours. That's sounds very low. Did you got the lastest update?

Do you need much battery life? Every good airport lounge have power and if you fly first on a good carrier you got enough power for an MacBook.

Maybe you count buy a big powerbank? It's this possible? Hmm...

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
great battery life. Not a show piece/status thing..

Please share the info on the battery life. I didn't know any was out yet.

I think you're wrong about which machine is a show piece. People here and elsewhere show the XPS off about specs and such, whether they have any cause to or not.

jreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Only 4 hours. That's sounds very low. Did you got the lastest update?

Do you need much battery life? Every good airport lounge have power and if you fly first on a good carrier you got enough power for an MacBook.

Maybe you count buy a big powerbank? It's this possible? Hmm...

Yes, and I updated to the latest beta, too. Maybe it will better after it is pushed to public? I dont need the battery much, most of the time I can use the outlet, however, for this much money, you should get a good battery.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Yes, and I updated to the latest beta, too. Maybe it will better after it is pushed to public? I dont need the battery much, most of the time I can use the outlet, however, for this much money, you should get a good battery.
I agree with you dude. Even though many may not need the battery life, you should still make sure your MBP does as advertised. Unfortunately, this situation is becoming more and more of an anomaly because people are either figuring out their bad battery issues/finding fixes or updates are fixing things or they are returning them (harder to troubleshoot because big things are getting fixed). I would not keep an MBP if it only got 4 hours max, because something is not right.

FWIW, I have almost the same config as you. I could get as bad of battery life as you by simply "listening to music and browsing Safari". I found that streaming music with itunes from my NAS was doubling battery drain, and certain websites draw enormous power for some reason. Adblockers helped, but certain sites are still bad. These things have been getting fixed apparently as updates roll out, but just being aware of this helped me get claimed battery. I am not suggesting you should have to change your normal usage, but if you knew these causes of battery drain, you wouldn't stress about it. Moral is not all browsing and music listening are created equal. There are lots of one off things that will eventually get fixed. You can choose to find whatever it is causing higher than normal drain, wait out an update, or return it. I chose to work it out because everything else was so good. I use my spotify now instead of itunes. Who knew that NAS streaming was more power hungry than internet streaming? Not that I should have to, but modifying my use slightly will give me twice the battery life.
[doublepost=1484361334][/doublepost]
Return it and get the new XPS 15. If you need a 15% off coupon let me know..
Super happy you have the new XPS. Didn't know it was out already. Are you with Dell sales? I had an XPS, and it's still not quite an MBP for many of us. The battery life is total b***s**t unless you have the lowest non-touch screen. It's louder, hotter, plasticky, touchpad is level below still, and still has the Windows "nuances" that we all love. Don't get me wrong. It's as close to an MBP as I've seen attempted (no personal experience with SB's), and I might consider it again down the road as I am OS agnostic. I just don't see how you're on MR selling a *new* Dell that no one has any real experience with yet. It's the real world usage (ergonomics, usability, etc.) that MBP owners are after. Until Dell proves it delivers that, it's still a level below and not comparable. Of course everyone already knows this, including you, but you are still peddling your product for some reason.

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015
Not one another this kind of post again. When everything stays stock, just like how Apple tested their battery life on their machines, they lasted the quoted time. Now obviously all of our machines are filled with 3rd parties software and background processes, and they all consume power. To better troubleshoot your problem, I suggest you 1. Download coconutBattery (freeware), log your battery capacity and hourly power consumption in wattage 2. Turn on Activity Monitor and take a look at the energy tab, take a screenshot and report that to the community as well. 3. Make sure your screen brightness is set to a reasonable level (60% ish).

Report all findings and observations.

azntaiji

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
What browser are you using?

Brightness settings?

Ad blocker?

Do you have many tabs open at once?

What kind of websites?

So many factors, it's almost impossible for us to know what the issue is without more

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway

Yep, the battery is crap. Software will only take you that far, at one point you have to look at the ratio TDP / capacity life and the 2016 models have a terrible ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.