Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The specs are awesome, but the cosmetic design -- intended to camouflage yourself in the forest -- just doesn't get my lens lust juices flowing. :(

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
What a beast. Amusing to read the article and it says it could be used for portraiture! The thing looks like a rocket launcher: if someone pointed it at me, I'd run a mile...and even then it would still be able to see me :eek:

Anyone know what the price is yet?

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
why is it green? :confused:

It's not easy.....
361px-Kermit2005.jpg

:D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I wonder how many Sigma will actually sell! I can't imagine many photographers wanting to lug that thing around. Might I also add that it is the ugliest lens I've ever seen. Its almost as bad as those white Canon telephotos..

Settle down Canon users, I was joking :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I wonder how many Sigma will actually sell! I can't imagine many photographers wanting to lug that thing around. Might I also add that it is the ugliest lens I've ever seen. Its almost as bad as those white Canon telephotos..

Settle down Canon users, I was joking :p

It depends a lot on price and performance, but I think if the quality is good and the price is decent, they'll sell quite a few. I still have the same 2 questions I had last year-

1. How much?
2. Will it fit on a full-sized Wimberly?

At the right price, another 100mm of focal length at f/2.8 is attractive for wildlife, especially birds.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It weighs as much as that Canon 1200 mm.

This is a zoom lens, probably requiring a much more sophisticated design. However, it's still a 3rd party manufactured lens, so it'll cost 10% less than it would if Nikon or Canon released it. I'm guessing this lens costs US $100,000. :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It weighs as much as that Canon 1200 mm.

This is a zoom lens, probably requiring a much more sophisticated design. However, it's still a 3rd party manufactured lens, so it'll cost 10% less than it would if Nikon or Canon released it. I'm guessing this lens costs US $100,000. :)

I'm betting well under that. Rumor has it their price target is about $12,000. I'm betting they come in under $35,000 though.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
But the Canon 1200 mm used to cost around $85000. I remember my friend showing me a website about it last year.

And unlike the Canon, this lens is a zoom lens. If you add the TC to it, it'll be a 1000 mm f/5.6 lens, which is almost as long as the Canon (at that focal length, it would be a minimal difference, really). But I think the ability to zoom is the big reason why it'll cost a lot. A lot of glass in there will have to move, and they needed to develop a system to do so.

I guess you could be right about the price (but not as low as $12000). They may want to sell a few of these rather than just display them at a museum or something.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
But the Canon 1200 mm used to cost around $85000. I remember my friend showing me a website about it last year.

Yes, but lens construction and optics have come a long way since that lens was designed. Look at the price/performance of the Nikkor kit lenses. Until you go doing weird elements or nanocoating, you're in a pretty good place.

And unlike the Canon, this lens is a zoom lens. If you add the TC to it, it'll be a 1000 mm f/5.6 lens, which is almost as long as the Canon (at that focal length, it would be a minimal difference, really). But I think the ability to zoom is the big reason why it'll cost a lot. A lot of glass in there will have to move, and they needed to develop a system to do so.

In general, you're moving the smaller elements to focus, and they developed the lens prototype over a year ago, so they've obviously gotten things squared away. The only thing that changes with size is the gearing and the durability of the construction. If you look at lenses like the Nikkor 200-400VR, you can see that optics manufacturers have come a long way (even though that's a relatively small, light lens.)

I guess you could be right, though. They may want to sell a few of these rather than just display them at a museum or something.

They'll likely sell a good number of them at any price less than $65,000. If they do indeed come in between $10,000 and $12,000 I'd guess there'd be a year or so wait time on getting one in pretty short order and they won't be sitting on shelves waiting for buyers.

The included 2x TC isn't going to do much to move the price, it's all about the main elements, especially the large protective front elements and the SLD/ELD elements.

I wonder what they're getting for battery life...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
You're right.

I thought because of size, weight, and ability, the lens was going to cost around the same amount as the super-long Canon (or Nikon?) 1200 mm lens.

You said it would be cheaper, and you were right. However, it's not going to be $12000. However, I read that the cost of the lens was going to be around ¥25000 in Japan, so it'll be around $25000 in the US, I'd imagine.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You're right.

I thought because of size, weight, and ability, the lens was going to cost around the same amount as the super-long Canon (or Nikon?) 1200 mm lens.

You said it would be cheaper, and you were right. However, it's not going to be $12000. However, I read that the cost of the lens was going to be around ¥25000 in Japan, so it'll be around $25000 in the US, I'd imagine.

I said rumor had the price target at $12,000- my guess was under $35,000. I know the dollar's weak, but I don't think we're at 1:1 with the yen yet, do you mean 2500000 yen?

Looks like last year I was guessing $12,000- but that rationale didn't take into account the serious price differences the new longer Nikkors are at- some part of the process must have gotten more expensive. It'll be interesting to see where they price it though. I'm surprised we haven't seen any field test reports yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.