Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sangosimo

Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
is there any reason not to get this lens on with the 40d. I love the boque and size alot, and it is going to be a huge upgrade from the 18-55 kit that I am rockin' right now. What other glass should I look at if I want a small walk/bike lens

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
is there any reason not to get this lens on with the 40d. I love the boque and size alot, and it is going to be a huge upgrade from the 18-55 kit that I am rockin' right now. What other glass should I look at if I want a small walk/bike lens

Look at what focal length you're shooting at now with the kit lens, that should tell you if you want a 30mm or something longer. Also, make sure you can swap if you get it online, sometimes they have QC issues. Bokkeh isn't everything- contrast and flare resistance may be issues too.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Also, 'small' and 'Sigma 30mm f/1.4' may not be entirely compatible. Though you do say you like the size.

sangosimo

Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I shoot at the extremes with the kit now and move my body or crop to change the framing. 30mm is pretty much in the middle.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
30mm is a better length than 50mm for your only prime...but you'll have to go out and see how much you like it.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I really like the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8, it's a little slower, but it is IMO sharper than the Sigma, and has better contrast and color as well.

sangosimo

Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
so I was playing around with 58mm 1.2! OMG I love primes. I think I am going to get the 30 because 50mm is just too much zoom on my crop body. I am going to shoot more with this all manual 58, and start saving for that 30.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
On a Nikon body (D300) I use the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro. It's a great walk-around lens, and I really dig the macro feature. The lens is freaky sharp and really nice in low light (low light capability is important to me, may not be to you). I love to use in indoors at parties and the like - the focal length is good for that, in that you take in more of the subject and it gets more depth of field compared to a 50mm, the lens is very fast (f/1.8) so I can often shoot in low indoor light without flash. But it's also a great outdoor lens - the wideish focal length is nice for both architecture in the city and for landscapes. And it's an affordable $250-$290. The downside to this lens is that it is pretty big and heavy for a prime comparatively speaking (the 50 is much tinier), and the auto focus is noisy... but then again, it's solidly built and the big glass results in better IQ. As usual with Sigma, they make this in a Canon mount, though I've not read reviews of how this lens does on Canon bodies. On the Nikon, I love it. You may also look into the the 24mm version. Oh, one other thing - if you ever want to go FX, you'll still be able to use this lens, which is nice... after all, you may buy a disposable body, but lenses are to be collected!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.