Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
I'm looking for a "normal" prime for my Rebel XT. The guide over at Photo.Net recommends the Sigma strongly, but the Amazon reviewers say that many, many copies of this lens have manufacturing defects.

The Canon alternatives are 35mm (cheaper, but slower, and a bit long), and 28mm (a bit more expensive than the Sigma, and slower).

Has Sigma stepped up their game and worked out the manufacturing defects? Or am I still running a significant risk by going with them? If Sigma is a no-go, would I be better off with the cheaper 35mm Canon or more expensive 28mm Canon?

FYI, I'll also be picking up a 50mm f/1.4 for when I want to be a little closer. I've been pretty much sold on the idea that sub-$500 (perhaps sub-$1000) zoom lenses are garbage.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've read the Sigma is a very good lens but with all third party products you can get "bad" copies. That's why you buy locally and if there are any issues you can exchange it swiftly.

I'd say for for the Sigma unless you are thinking of going FF in the future OR can afford the L counterparts of the 35mm and the 28mm. You get an extra stop of light on the Sigma + HSM focussing and it's more the "normal" focal length.

While I have read the 35mm is a decent lens, it's relatively old and the focussing is noisy and slow when compared to the 50mm f/1.4 you're going to be picking up.

The 28mm comes either with or without USM but the USM increases the price significantly.

So I say go for the Sigma unless you really have something against third party brands.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
I've read the Sigma is a very good lens but with all third party products you can get "bad" copies. That's why you buy locally and if there are any issues you can exchange it swiftly.

So I say go for the Sigma unless you really have something against third party brands.

I know you're in Australia, so there may be regional differences. I notice the retail price on Amazon for the Sigma is over $600, but it goes for under $400 commonly on the internet. Am I going to be stuck paying full retail if I purchase it locally?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Depends how well you can shop around haggle I guess. You can shop online if you want, it's just harder to exchange the lens should you get a bad copy. Doable, just more hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.