Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
I searched the forums to see if someone asked about this specific lens for Nikon. I didn't see anything in the 1st three pages, so here it goes.

I was starting to save up for the Nikon version and ran across this used one.

Only have the (2) kit lenses for my D5000. Have had quite a bit of success lately with the 55-200 in lowlight situations / sports(indoor/outdoor). I am thinking with the f/2.8, I could improve some shots even more.

Going to look at tonight and she is going to let me test on my Camera. Wedding photographer getting rid of some lenses.

1 year old, asking $550. New Nikon around $1,200, Tamron $749, and Sigma $849.

Any thoughts from anyone that has used any of these or compared to in the past.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Thanks HBOC

Those links helped a lot already briefly reading through them.
Nikon seems to be the better of the 2, with the Sigma not far behind andwith me just beginning, this may be the better route at least for the price, as long as it is in good shape.

I wasn't looking to get the Tamron, but a Salesperson obviously suggested it once I told him I was going to save for the Nikon. They don't carry Sigma.

Read some reviews on that and didn't seem to favorable overall.

It's the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD Macro for Nikon. $729 not $749.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Don't forget the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (two-ring version) which is less than the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8. Used ones go from $700-$800 in good/exc. condition, maybe less if you look around. Also, Adorama had them as factory refurbs for mid $800s recently, which you could add a three year warranty to (likely a Mack warranty, which is very reputable.)

IQ on the 80-200 is stellar, BTW. I don't know if they're still making it or if it was recently discontinued, but there are probably plenty of new ones out there. This lens was made in great numbers for a long time, so they're not hard to find, and I'd definitely go that route over the Tamron or Sigma versions of the 70-200 f/2.8 both for image quality, Nikon build quality and healthy resale market.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I searched the forums to see if someone asked about this specific lens for Nikon. I didn't see anything in the 1st three pages, so here it goes.

I was starting to save up for the Nikon version and ran across this used one.

Only have the (2) kit lenses for my D5000. Have had quite a bit of success lately with the 55-200 in lowlight situations / sports(indoor/outdoor). I am thinking with the f/2.8, I could improve some shots even more.

You'll need an HSM version to get autofocus on the D5000.

Don't forget the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (two-ring version) which is less than the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8. Used ones go from $700-$800 in good/exc. condition, maybe less if you look around. Also, Adorama had them as factory refurbs for mid $800s recently, which you could add a three year warranty to (likely a Mack warranty, which is very reputable.)

The lenses at that price point are generally not AF-S, but rather AF-D which won't AF on a D5000. You'll have to add $300-500 to get the AF-S version.

Paul

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Pulled the Trigger

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Is HSM so it does have the autofocus.

Out the door for $520. Below are a couple of first test shots with the lens. Looking forward to Saturday for my boys next LaCrosse game. Gives me plenty of time to go out and about and shoot.

I will post Saturday night with what i come up with after the game.

I do appreciate all the information everyone has put in.

Here is the Description:This lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), which ensures a quiet and high-speed AF as well as full-time manual focusing capability.

* Focal length: 70-200mm
* Maximum aperture: f/2.8
* Lens construction: 18 elements in 15 groups
* Angle of view: 34.3 to 12.3 degrees
* Number of diaphragm blades: 9
* Minimum aperture: f/22
* Minimum focusing distance: 39.4 inches
* Filter size: 77mm
* Hood: Petal type
* Corresponding AF mounts: Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Sony/Minolta, Pentax, Four Thirds
* Dimensions: 3.4 inches in diameter and 7.3 inches long
* Weight: 48.3 ounces

Attachments

• DSC_0622.jpg
    DSC_0622.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0574.jpg
    DSC_0574.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 114

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
The lenses at that price point are generally not AF-S, but rather AF-D which won't AF on a D5000. You'll have to add $300-500 to get the AF-S version.

Paul
hmmm... now that you mention it... :p As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say..."Nevermind!" :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Is HSM so it does have the autofocus.

Out the door for $520. Below are a couple of first test shots with the lens. Looking forward to Saturday for my boys next LaCrosse game. Gives me plenty of time to go out and about and shoot.
Definitely post some pic! From the few pictures you've taken, do you wish you had VR?
When you shoot sports, do you use full manual. full auto/sports mode?

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Puckhead - not sure about wishing for the VR, would it be nice, yes, just getting back into photography going on just over 20 years now, most of this is new to me with the Digital World. My goal all along was to get back into it not cheap, but not expensive either and learn the equipment again.

Since December, I have learned a lot of things, quite a bit from this forum with the amount of information people have is unbelievable, as well as sites suggested and books read.

In one of my other hobbies, the thing I despise the most, are the people that have to have the latest or best equipment, yet don't know how to use it, or are not willing to practice to improve with what you have to understand what you need. I don't need the latest and greatest until I know I can shoot great shots with what I have.

Is this the right move? Not sure yet, but 2 things I do know, at this price it is not going to kill me and if I can take great pictures without the VR, then I know a lens with VR will be no problem at all, and would be willing to put out the extra money to get it.

The boys have a practice Thursday and that will be a great practice session for me as well.

With the 55-200 kit lens I was shooting full Manual for outdoor and some indoor, but had to switch to auto/sports mode for some indoor shots with poor lighting, I will post a couple of those later tonight when I get home from work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.