Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Anyone else intrested about this camera? Sigma just released more information about it. The idea of a good APS-C sized (Foveon!) sensor in a point&shoot sized package is quite intriguing. The integrated lens is supposed to be very good, too. It's a 28mm equivalent prime, the downside is that it has a maximum aperture of F4.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a small camera that slips easily into a pocket and can take pictures with an image quality of an dSLR.

What does everyone else think about it?

links:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030807sigmadp1.asp
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I think the big question will be $$$. It looks great, but if the price gets up too high then people will just go with a normal dSLR anyways. Price it right and there would be lots of possibilities.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
People have been complaining endlessly regarding this camera, and people just don't "get it".

People are disappointed because there's no zoom. A zoom would require a bigger lens and camera, which defeats the purpose of this camera (a relatively large sensor in a pocketable point and shoot, capable of producing DSLR quality photos)

People are disappointed that it doesn't go to f/2.8. This would also require a much bigger lens to be mounted on this camera. Again, this would make it a non-pocketable camera.

The only spec that really doesn't make sense to me is how the maximum ISO that you can choose is ISO 800. Many of the low light benefits of using a sensor of this size is gone. Sure, this camera will/should still give you better dynamic range, but come on! Big sensors should give us a usable ISO 1600 setting.

Otherwise, fantastic camera. If I had the money for one, I'd buy it.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
The only spec that really doesn't make sense to me is how the maximum ISO that you can choose is ISO 800. Many of the low light benefits of using a sensor of this size is gone. Sure, this camera will/should still give you better dynamic range, but come on! Big sensors should give us a usable ISO 1600 setting.

Otherwise, fantastic camera. If I had the money for one, I'd buy it.
I heard the SD14 got ISO 1600 through a firmware upgrade, and is it possible to underexpose one stop at ISO 800 and push to get effectively ISO 1600? I don't know how much dynamic range/headroom the larger sensor will provide.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I preordered it for $800 ... I don't think it'll be dropping much in price over the next few months. What $$$ do you think is right for this kind of camera?

That doesn't sound too bad at all, I haven't been watching the P&S market so I am not in the know on the prices. Is there much competition in around the price range? Say similar prices but not quite near in features?

Right now, I am in the market for a DSLR though ot buying for a while, but as a quality P&S I can see there being a good market for semi/pro photographers as a very small/light alternative to the full setup.

For the ISO I guess they have to have comprises somewhere, but maybe they can leave that for v2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.