Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I just don't know which to get. The nikkor is $1000 more here in Canada but is it really worth it? The sigma has macro to get that extra fine tuning... thoughts please?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I just don't know which to get. The nikkor is $1000 more here in Canada but is it really worth it? The sigma has macro to get that extra fine tuning... thoughts please?

Unfortunately, only you can decide what's "worth" it. The Nikkor is excellent, but why not rent each and make up your own mind as to which fits your photography/budget best? There are online places that rent out the Sigmas, so it shouldn't be that difficult and then you'll know for sure which you like better as you can shoot them side-by-side on subjects you'd normally shoot.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, there are reason why Nikkor is $1k more expensive then the Sigma one, if both is equally the same then why do people still prefer paying an extra $1k for the label? Think about that, and of course they will be differences, the important thing is, is those differences matter to you?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
As always whenever someone brings up this question, I'd suggest you at least consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D. New, they're around the same price as the Sigma (maybe a little more), and good used copies can be had for less. The only thing they don't have is a built-in focus motor and VR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

It's mostly just a budget issue. The only reason to buy the Sigma is because you can't afford the Nikon lens. Buy it if that is the case.

But also concider a used Nikon lens or the less expensive Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 which is about $650 on the used market.

The 80-200 and 70-200 family is one of Nikon best lenses.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I love my 80-200 2.8, but I've also always wanted a 70-200 VR. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have spent the extra dough and bought the 70-200 in the first place. The 80-200 is an awesome piece of machinery though.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I love my 80-200 2.8, but I've also always wanted a 70-200 VR. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have spent the extra dough and bought the 70-200 in the first place. The 80-200 is an awesome piece of machinery though.

Nikkor, hands down. Mine is mounted on a D3 which in turn provides a system that is QUICK to AF....the lens plays a huge role in this...

My only experience with macro lenses has been with the lovely 105 VR. I use this lens for portraiture and macro work (bokeh on this is jaw-dropping). However, the AF on the lens is nowhere near as snappy as the 70-200MM. I mention this because I wonder if the macro capabilities on the Sigma lens would slow it down....

Good luck!

Apr 10, 2007
As always whenever someone brings up this question, I'd suggest you at least consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D. New, they're around the same price as the Sigma (maybe a little more), and good used copies can be had for less. The only thing they don't have is a built-in focus motor and VR.

+1

I was debating the same thing, I got the 80-200mm and never looked back, I also got it for under 1k at the time off amazon.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
NYC
Mfg. lenses will always be better quality than third party. The sigma is noticeably softer wide-open than that of both of its mfg. counterparts (Canon, Noink).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.