Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMcFloyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
I have reason to suspect someone may have wanted to bug/wiretap my iPod for calls made through Google Hangouts, skype, and facebook messenger.

Some weird things I'm not sure are signs or not of a bugged iPod:

- Storage usage on iPod reads 9.7GB used, however in adding up all the listed apps it comes out to only about 7.8 gigs.

- It was giving me notifications about low storage in spite of the fact that there was plenty of storage left.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
That is actually perfectly normal. Usually, there is "other" space taken which may fill your phone up. The low storage warning, I'd want to know what is the capacity of the iPod you own. Though it should be fine.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
The os takes space too.

Format as new if you're truly afraid

Reynolds makes great tin foil.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I have reason to suspect someone may have wanted to bug/wiretap my iPod for calls made through Google Hangouts, skype, and facebook messenger.

Some weird things I'm not sure are signs or not of a bugged iPod:

- Storage usage on iPod reads 9.7GB used, however in adding up all the listed apps it comes out to only about 7.8 gigs.

- It was giving me notifications about low storage in spite of the fact that there was plenty of storage left.

Certain apps cache information, as such in shows up in 'other' as it is temporary use of storage space. An example could be a video call being cached to device during the call, then uploaded by the app to say googles servers/cloud storage once call complete.

TVos uses this as a feature I.e apps have to be under 200mb but can download additional temporary assets etc, when storage is full caches are emptied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.